Login

Just how am i meant to use a nebula console?!?!?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Just how am i meant to use a nebula console?!?!?

Postby Definity » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi, i have bought a few of Alex's libaries i see that are for Percusion, drums, Synths, Guitar, Send's and Master outputs but after i load about 5 instances of even the SE programs im at 100% of CPU and im not even half way, how do you guys use an actual console? cos i can barley use Half of one. I have a quad core machine with 8 threads but i still run out of CPU way to quick. got any ideas/Tips?
Thanks
Definity

Re: Just how am i meant to use a nebula console?!?!?

Postby everbeatz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Why don't you use offline render tool or just pre-process files before mixing stage. It's best to use all "console/preamp programs" that way IMHO - use eq programs when mixing, mainly on buses/groups..

Also, it sounds kinda "suspicious" that you ran out of CPU power by loading just 5 instances of Nebula programs...

Which DAW you're using there?
everbeatz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 pm

5 SE programs doesn't seem like it would max out a modern processor, but that aside, the true answer (especially with the full versions of the programs) is: get ready to freeze/render/however your DAW handles freeing up resources.

Personally I never pre-render; I just can't bring myself to the notion of "salting my food without tasting it". While I think it's a bad idea to apply audio effects without listening to them in context, some people make extensive use of pre-rendering and seem pretty happy with what it has done to their work flow.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby everbeatz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
Personally I never pre-render; I just can't bring myself to the notion of "salting my food without tasting it". While I think it's a bad idea to apply audio effects without listening to them in context, some people make extensive use of pre-rendering and seem pretty happy with what it has done to their work flow.

I do understand that kind of approach, after all, it sounds quite logical although preamp programs as well as console ones are something you can apply even before mixing in my opinion. Those are there to mimic tracking/pre-mixing stage. Especially console programs which are there to emulate patching your "tape channels" into console and you start making your mixing decisions from there...

Just my thoughts
everbeatz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby Mimi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:08 am

strange ... I have several consoles AlexB, and many equalized, run 20 nebulas in total.
and my machine is a core2duo3.0mhz...
There may be some error on your machine, it is not normal.
a friend has a core2quad9650 3.0mhz, and runs 40 nebulas in windowsxp32bits.
And a 60 nebulas in windows7 64bits.
That described by you, your pc is an intel i7, is not it?
should generally be 1% cpu usage of each nebula...in windows7 64bits,I do not know, the windowsxp32bits...
so this is a mystery ... :?: :?: :?:
Mimi

Postby zaminx » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:31 am

Are you using the nebula Reverb version ?
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Mimi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:05 am

If you are Using the reverb the nebula, in protools ... forget this idea.
It does not work right in protools.
if any, other software,cubase, nuendo, samplitude, riper...okay ... 100%.
I use nebulareverb with cuda, in master of protools, with console R2R tape.
one, with cuda is what that protools, allows.
but just need one running on the gpu.
Further, regardless of whether or not cuda, just use a nebulareverb the master to tape.
In general, I use common nebula, which is not reverb.
I hope it has helped.
Mimi

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:56 pm

cant wait till i get my core2duo desktop comp back,right now i can only make music on my older 1 cpu 1,70ghz laptop,and needs to render out files alot:)
ErotiCore SteNch
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:54 pm

I don't have the most modern CPU (it's actually fairly old, an E6600)...but I don't see even the best CPU on the market supporting all of my tracks and busses even just for console emulation (there's still the matter of all the other effects that the mix is going to utilize). Even a multi-CPU experience is going to get pretty overloaded when you're talking about a session with 50-100 tracks which, honestly, is not that crazy in this day and age.

This is why I always say: Nebula bends your workflow to its will. Right now it involves trading time and workflow ease for sound quality. I don't think that's the only way to mix nowadays but, for me, it's well worth the time investment.

The upside is that once you get used to Nebula you find ways to create a new workflow around those processes and get back into your groove. It's nothing at all to me today to do full console + reel to reel emulation (on a 50 channel mix this represents approximately 200+ Nebula instances just for those two tasks) because I'm quite used to doing that on every track I produce.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Definity » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:29 am

im using it mostly in fruity loops and cubase 5 and still i get literally 3 Alex B libraries on the master of cubase and that's it!!! it 100% the processor im am on is a i7 920 32 bit is this normal?
Definity

Next

Return to Working with Nebula