Login

Transient loss

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Transient loss

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:23 pm

This kind of why it's not good to have this on the forum ,Because no one wants to read back through all the pages of look for information for hours.A more accurate manual would be better to be honest.I've Started something now that may go on and on.......

I'm guessing low cut is because the lower frequency the longer the wave form (1hz is 1 second length),Maybe your not asking that question?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1512&p=13539&hilit=evf+17#p13539
Last edited by Tim Petherick on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:45 pm

I noticed transient loss recently when using the Bogen console - but I assumed that was the tubes and vintage nature...

This transient issue is a big deal - as I wouldnt want to use on drums or master without this tweak.

Only problem is - I recently upgraded and Im using OSX 1.3.502 and have not been concerned with going into Nebula. I just tried looking around and only have Prog and MAST pages available - nowhere else to go...weird as this didnt used to be the case. Any ideas?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby musicgreator » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:57 pm

SWAN wrote:I noticed transient loss recently when using the Bogen console - but I assumed that was the tubes and vintage nature...

This transient issue is a big deal - as I wouldnt want to use on drums or master without this tweak.

Only problem is - I recently upgraded and Im using OSX 1.3.502 and have not been concerned with going into Nebula. I just tried looking around and only have Prog and MAST pages available - nowhere else to go...weird as this didnt used to be the case. Any ideas?

You need to go to MAST page and turn the MODE form somple to 1 Guru
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby musicgreator » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:58 pm

musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby SWAN » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:13 pm

musicgreator wrote:You need to go to MAST page and turn the MODE form somple to 1 Guru

thank you!
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby indravayu » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:10 pm

I picked up the 76D set and am trying to follow this thread, but I don't have a very technical mind and it's getting very confusing, haha! Can someone maybe post screenshots of the tweaked Kern and Mast pages, so thick-headed people like myself can easily do the mod?

Also, what's the verdict, should we be using Reverb or regular Nebula?
SYSTEM:
MB: Intel DP35DP
RAM: 8GB
DAW: Sonar Producer 64bit
indravayu
User Level II
User Level II

Postby fpoitevin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 pm

SWAN wrote:Also, what's the verdict, should we be using Reverb or regular Nebula?

I'm trying to understand too... After my tests, I use the Neb Reverb all the time for EQ, console and tape. I can't hear any difference with the Neb (regular) and it lowers the CPU activity. But, according to this thread, I've noticed that :

1 - If you place the "Env Type" to EVF 17, it sounds better. To find this parameter :
- In the main page (called the PROG page according to the bottom left tab) you find in the upper right corner a button called "EDIT". Click on it.
- In the bottom right corner you see now a "MORE" button. Click.
- An "EVFS" button appears just to the left of the "MORE" button. Click
- you are in the EVFS page . The first parameter on the top of the list is called "Env Type". To change it, it must be highlighted. To highlight it, move the first cursor (or button, it depends on your skin). Then, use the second cursor (button) to change the value.
I don't know why, but in EVF17, it sounds better.
This parameter is attached to the program only, not to the global parameters (in the MAST page). You may have to change this by hand on each programs you use.
- To save it, you have to click en "EXIT" on the right top.
- Back in the PROG page, click on Save on the top right. Caution ! If you don't rename the program, it will overwrite it !
- To rename the program, go to the EDIT page, then to the first page called "MEMO". There, you can edit the name.

2 - Timed algo.
On the main page (PROG), click on the KERN tab. you can now read how the 2 algos Time domain (timed) and frequency domain (freqd) are dispatched. If you read CLASSC on one of the upper right buttons, that means that you are in SPLIT mode (the display shows in fact the mode where you go if you click, not the mode you are in.... strange). In split mode, the first kernel is dispatch between the two algos time domain (timed) and frequency domain (freqd). If you read SPLITH on the upper right corner, that means that you are in classic mode, were you can choose to affect the first kernel (called CLEAN) to timed or freqd. What I've noticed, according all this thread, is that when you select the "timed" algo for this CLEAN kernel, it sounds better. To do this, click on the highlighted arrow between the timed and freqd column on the CLEAN line until it points to the right. It means that you are in timed algo (on the left). Here too, it's opposite to the logic. The highlighted arrow points where you go if you click.
This setting is related to the program itself, not to the global parameters. You have to rename (if you want), save, and do the tweaks on all the programs you use. Test by ear before changing...

That's what I've understood in the thread. Just tell me guys if I'm wrong.

For the compressor programs, after a lot of testings, I decided not to use them for now. So I never use the regular Nebula version.

timp wrote:A more accurate manual would be better to be honest.I've Started something now that may go on and on.......

This kind of doc is a huge job. I understand it's hard for the developers to do it. Would it be possible to create a kind of Wiki (that used to exist) where each of us could explain a part of what he understood. It would be controlled by the staff of course...

Nebula has to take care of the "non-technician" users...

Salut à tous !
fpoitevin
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby musicgreator » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 am

So what's the perfect length for TIMED? And what exactly is the difference to FREQD, is TIMED just better quality or can it also be unsuitable? Does FADE also play an important role? I expect nebula to sound the most accurate compared to hardware because for me, that's what nebula stands for. So what are the perfect settings with disregard to cpu?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby fpoitevin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 am

musicgreator wrote:So what's the perfect length for TIMED? And what exactly is the difference to FREQD, is TIMED just better quality or can it also be unsuitable? Does FADE also play an important role? I expect nebula to sound the most accurate compared to hardware because for me, that's what nebula stands for. So what are the perfect settings with disregard to cpu?

Very interested too. If someone can give the values AND how they impact the sound, it would be great !
fpoitevin
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby babiuk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:41 am

Postby fpoitevin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:31 pm

SWAN wrote:Also, what's the verdict, should we be using Reverb or regular Nebula?

I'm trying to understand too... After my tests, I use the Neb Reverb all the time for EQ, console and tape. I can't hear any difference with the Neb (regular) and it lowers the CPU activity. But, according to this thread, I've noticed that :

1 - If you place the "Env Type" to EVF 17, it sounds better. To find this parameter :
- In the main page (called the PROG page according to the bottom left tab) you find in the upper right corner a button called "EDIT". Click on it.
- In the bottom right corner you see now a "MORE" button. Click.
- An "EVFS" button appears just to the left of the "MORE" button. Click
- you are in the EVFS page . The first parameter on the top of the list is called "Env Type". To change it, it must be highlighted. To highlight it, move the first cursor (or button, it depends on your skin). Then, use the second cursor (button) to change the value.
I don't know why, but in EVF17, it sounds better.
This parameter is attached to the program only, not to the global parameters (in the MAST page). You may have to change this by hand on each programs you use.
- To save it, you have to click en "EXIT" on the right top.
- Back in the PROG page, click on Save on the top right. Caution ! If you don't rename the program, it will overwrite it !
- To rename the program, go to the EDIT page, then to the first page called "MEMO". There, you can edit the name.

2 - Timed algo.
On the main page (PROG), click on the KERN tab. you can now read how the 2 algos Time domain (timed) and frequency domain (freqd) are dispatched. If you read CLASSC on one of the upper right buttons, that means that you are in SPLIT mode (the display shows in fact the mode where you go if you click, not the mode you are in.... strange). In split mode, the first kernel is dispatch between the two algos time domain (timed) and frequency domain (freqd). If you read SPLITH on the upper right corner, that means that you are in classic mode, were you can choose to affect the first kernel (called CLEAN) to timed or freqd. What I've noticed, according all this thread, is that when you select the "timed" algo for this CLEAN kernel, it sounds better. To do this, click on the highlighted arrow between the timed and freqd column on the CLEAN line until it points to the right. It means that you are in timed algo (on the left). Here too, it's opposite to the logic. The highlighted arrow points where you go if you click.
This setting is related to the program itself, not to the global parameters. You have to rename (if you want), save, and do the tweaks on all the programs you use. Test by ear before changing...

That's what I've understood in the thread. Just tell me guys if I'm wrong.

Thanks a lot, fpoitevin, for this clear how-to. Sometimes we can't see the forest by the trees, and this explanation helps a lot, there are so much controls and parameters and it´s so easy to get lost.
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula