Login

Transient loss

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Transient loss

Postby nonstandardryder » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:41 am

kels wrote:
Also, it's a pain that program rate modify itself when we switch kernels to time and that we have to put original value back in.

Interesting, I never noticed this. Could you explain how you fix the prog rate issue? Also have you ever played with the buffer size? I have been at 512 but I read high ones can take the sound better. I have yet to test.

I am excited to see what the devs come up with to solve this dilemma. I would just love to make one setting: "Extreme Quality". Then come back an hour later to all of my tracks frozen/rendered with the best possible, dsp buffer, timed quality and proper envelope etc.

I personally don't care if it takes hours to freeze/render tracks as long as I know it's of the highest quality the engine can deliver.
nonstandardryder

Postby kels » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Interesting, I never noticed this. Could you explain how you fix the prog rate issue?

Yes, it happens with most libs (but not with 4KD from AlexB from ex)

Ususally, if you switch CLEAN+EVEN kernels to time, you can see that RTE value just above doesn't change. Once you switch ODD kernel to time, RTE drops drastically.

So, the ancient myth of never changing all kernels to time.

What you have to do is to go to PROG --> EDIT --> GLOB --> switch RATE S to ON (if it is not) --> restore RATE to its original value

then, eventually, you can play with SMOOTH afterwards.
(for ex : Cupwise, on his compressors, usually put LINEAR there when everything is set to time while it is set differently if everything is on frequd)

As much as I like modifying presets myself (time mode, different ENV types, ..), I never change program rate (or I always restore it to it's original value after a mod). Things can sound bad quickly.

I personally don't care if it takes hours to freeze/render tracks as long as I know it's of the highest quality the engine can deliver.

Like you, I have a render time approach. I also think there are room for improvements there (like the serious 3D apps, their render mode and clusters of servers)
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby pleplo » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks guys for all those nice tips im gonna play with those. I made a thread about the DSP buffer size issue. still not clear but it does affect the sound since its change rate program. so it is very confusing haha. I know nebula 4 will be more improved. like you said with just a simple click button 'max quality" for everything, all program and than render.instead of changing zillions of variables and * everything up :)

cheers
Plajia new album Piggie Park out NOW. (Pronounced plah-gee-ah) We make music, fock a genre. On Spotify and Bandcamp www.plajia.com
pleplo
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby sfabs » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Any idea on the ETA for a Neb update G?
sfabs
User Level XI
User Level XI

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula