Login

Transient loss

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Transient loss

Postby russianpolecat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 pm

OK, so I figured out how to get the n2p files into N.A.T (I just dragged and dropped the files in). Then I changed the 'original name' and 'name' sections, as per instructions. Then clicked save. Problem is, they don't load in Nebula - can't see them, just the originals. I can see n2p files in the programs folder though, so they are there?? Bizarre. :roll:
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:23 pm

i didn't know you could drag and drop...
maybe you went to the wrong place, and it'd be my fault for explaining it bad.

open nat, and in the left side you see the different folders and things inside each... it's under 'editor' and called 'list'. click on that, then click add to add programs.

if you were in this same screen/location and changed the filenames, maybe you didn't also add the HD to the program names? if two different files have the same program name, i think only one shows up (but i'm not sure).
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby russianpolecat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi, yeah it's the same thing/area (as dragging and dropping).

Just so you can see what I'm doing, I installed Nebula on my laptop and just copied over one n2p file to make it easy to see. I've screen printed some images of the process that I followed.

Original file

Altered file

Programs folder

Nebula

As you can see it is in the program folder, but as before, it isn't showing up in Nebula...

Chris
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi!
@ russianpolecat: just guessing now, but have you closed your Nebula instance and deleted all the files in your Temp folder (located inside your nebulatemprepository folder), and then reopened the Nebula instance?

When you open a Nebula instance, all the xml-files inside your temp-folder will be rebuilt/appear again.

Best
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby russianpolecat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi, no joy I'm afraid. Deleted all the files from temp folder but Selmer_bass_1HQ still doesn't show in Neb...

Chris
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Hm, that is strange. I have to test this myself.
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Cupwise » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:46 pm

does the same thing happen with other programs?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby russianpolecat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Unfortunately yes. I just put one of the programs files from VNTX's EMT 140 plate into my program folder (again on my laptop) and edited it the same as before. No joy. I checked in Nebula set ups and that doesn't show the HQ files either. All very odd.

I'm going to start a new thread spec for this problem. Don't want to clog this one up!
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby malte » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:14 pm

"even for a preamp program, 'catching transients' still applies. there are samples taken at different dynamic levels. the detector in nebula detects incoming level, and determines which sample to play based on that. RMS mode will not see a transient that hits at -10dbfs, so it will not play the corresponding dynamic sample. instead it will play one that corresponds with whatever the current RMS level is, or if it was a lone drum hit with nothing before it, the transient will use the lowest captured sample for that program. in either case it should be using a higher level sample. in the 2nd case it should be using one MUCH higher, and the result is that the transient is actually using a lower dynamic sample than the body which is the opposite of what should happen. this is factual stuff here, and fairly basic. i can't explain it any more simple than that."

Spot on! Here is where this starts making sense :)
malte
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Masr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:08 am

I just checked the default settings of AlexB consoles and I was surprised to see him using only "classic - Freqd" mode (all the arrows pointing to the left). Is it possible that he would choose the worst setting for all his consoles, skipping the whole timed engine? The same applies to STN Tapes... :o
Masr
User Level IV
User Level IV

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula