Login

Transient loss

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Transient loss

Postby Cupwise » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Melon_Jack wrote:Cupwise, i don't want to blame you and anyone from devs, but just to understand things happen there.
that's not what i meant. i meant that if anyone applies peak to another dev's programs, and something goes wrong, they can't blame that dev. if someone messes around with any dev's program and something bad happens, it makes it impossible for the dev to know what the cause might be, because they don't know what that person did to those programs. if someone is going to make tweaks of any kind that they see in this thread, and save them, they should definitely be making sure they have backups of their libraries first.
Melon_Jack wrote:What you say is looks like, for example, AlexB 76D or any other compressors is "sucks" (truly - not), not working as it should, just because they don't use Peak mode? =) That's not true. I tried 76D demo and i like it. In peak mode it soundin similar to Waves. I don't wanna second Waves =)) Especially this shitty CLA76) I want normal, clean compression close to original hardware. Is 1176 is using REAL peak detection? I'm not strong in this kind enginnering stuf, but as far as i know, it has VU meter, and always thought that it's reacting to VU... Which is not PEAK..
i obviously never meant to say that anything out by another dev 'sucks'. i said that i think peak probably works more similar to hardware except in cases where the hardware used an RMS detector, with maybe a few other possible exceptions. i hadn't really thought too much about what i was saying before i said it i guess (and at this point i would definitely un-say it if i could because it's become a huge headache), so it wasn't like i planned on coming in here and making waves to try to promote my own stuff. i got curious about where this thread was at, looked at it, and it spurred me to say what i said. also, i've been focusing on preamps and amps and stuff like that. i don't know why you are fixated on the 1176 so much just because i mentioned how real hardware 76s are going to be different from each other. i wasn't trying to comment on any particular software 76 emulation, i was just using the 76 as an example, and i only used it because it's one of the most well known pieces of hardware out there.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 am

Ok. This is i who misunderstood)
Well, I think, we should listen to Giancarlo and other devs =)))) Maybe them could shed some light on this parameter)
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:49 am

Well ... Cupwise is a Dev.

The response from the Nebula crowd to his compressor libraries seems rather favorable 8-)

The updates done show that he has determination in maximizing these libraries.

There is no doubt much time spent analyzing these creations. That is why I was very much interested in reading his perspective on Nebulas' engine.

This is exactly the 'perspective' that most of us users don't have [unless we are NAT'ing a project].

As stated, most users may not need to consider any of this, unless interested. If for nothing at all, we have been exposed to a better understanding of the internals. Thank-you.

I'm still interested in this topic continuing ... and expanding. YES ... other Devs participating would be welcomed!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Like i said - OTHER devs))) Giancarlo mostly, because he's is the Master of this galaxian beast)))))
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby SWAN » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:13 pm

RJHollins wrote:Well ... Cupwise is a Dev.

The response from the Nebula crowd to his compressor libraries seems rather favorable 8-)

The updates done show that he has determination in maximizing these libraries.

There is no doubt much time spent analyzing these creations. That is why I was very much interested in reading his perspective on Nebulas' engine.

This is exactly the 'perspective' that most of us users don't have [unless we are NAT'ing a project].

As stated, most users may not need to consider any of this, unless interested. If for nothing at all, we have been exposed to a better understanding of the internals. Thank-you.

I'm still interested in this topic continuing ... and expanding. YES ... other Devs participating would be welcomed!

+1
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby alpsessays » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:00 am

Ok, so I wanted to put this here since it is kinda inspired by this thread. I think I understand enough about the various settings to start having a play now - particularly with Timed. Plus, I got some new libraries and I want to separate them off into different Nebula's etc. (Nebula setups for that). Fine. What I want to do is to make a HQ version of each neb - compressors/EQ etc. to use for rendering. The question I want to ask is do I also have to make a HQ copy of each program too or are these changes just affecting the way the engine plays back the files...

Sorry if it's a bit of a noob question - just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - Ok, so you have to make copies of the individual files too. I loaded neb 3 and Selmer_bass_1 from Lordneilson and edited the name to Selmer_bass_1HQ and 'savedas'. These are the files I'll use to mess about with/have on Timed. Just means twice as much disk space is going to be used up I suppose :roll:
Last edited by alpsessays on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpsessays
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Gemini Audio » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 am

I used PEAK mode for all of my preamps from the beginning for the same reasons as stated by Cupwise. And it worked very well for my products.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:27 pm

alpsessays wrote:What I want to do is to make a HQ version of each neb - compressors/EQ etc. to use for rendering. The question I want to ask is do I also have to make a HQ copy of each program too or are these changes just affecting the way the engine plays back the files...
uhh... well, i don't quite understand what you are asking here. what i would do, is make a copy of every program i want an HQ version for, add HQ to the .n2p filenames, and then add it to the program names, and then switch them to use timed and save.

alpsessays wrote:Edit - Ok, so you have to make copies of the individual files too. I loaded neb 3 and Selmer_bass_1 from Lordneilson and edited the name to Selmer_bass_1HQ and 'savedas'. These are the files I'll use to mess about with/have on Timed. Just means twice as much disk space is going to be used up I suppose :roll:

when you make a copy of the program, yes that is basically making a copy of the .n2p, which is called the 'program' file. if you have NAT, you can save a lot of time by going into there, going to the 'edit' section, loading all the n2p program files that you want copies of, and doing as i said, add HQ to the end of the filename (far left column), then add HQ to the end of the program name (next column to the right). then hit save. it warns you about overwriting the programs but you really aren't. you are instantly making copies of all of those program files, with the HQ in their filename and program name. now you can switch all of them to use timed. it doesn't cause you to use double your disk space at all. the .n2v files are the 'vectors' and those contain the samples. they are the larger file, the n2p files are tiny. all you are making copies of is the n2p files. disk space is not really an issue there.

edit- before you mess around in nat or do anything, just make sure you at least still have the archived library as you got it from the dev you bought off of.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby russianpolecat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Cheers Cupwise. I'll try that.

Chris
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby russianpolecat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi Cupwise (this is alpsessays by the way, had a problem with my forum login). Ok, er, sorry if it's a noob question, but I had a look at N.A.T and I have no clue how to use it. There doesn't seem to be a manual or anything either so I'm stuck. How do I get to the files in the first place to open them?

Chris
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula