Login

Transient loss

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Transient loss

Postby Melon_Jack » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 pm

I suggest to those who have 1176D and G76 make a tests with different modes!)
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby Cupwise » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:29 pm

alpsessays wrote:]Ok, so you're saying then that to get the closest to the hardware - peak mode should be used on everything (but esp on stuff that is transient heavy).

As somebody who uses nebula - as most people do really - to get closest to the hardware sound as possible, this a given then for me. This is what is great about this forum!

Thanks!

well not on everything.
with most EQ programs it doesn't matter because peak or evf17, or any of those modes, will have no effect. with compressors that were sampled from hardware that used RMS mode, then RMS mode should be used in nebula.

there could be other exceptions too....
there could be a few cases where switching to peak mode might cause artifacts. this would probably be rare and and it would have to do with the hardware that was sampled, and the samples being a bit less than 'perfect'. the main example i can think of where this MIGHT happen, would be with tape, because of wow and flutter. so especially tape at slower speeds, like with some of my cassette stuff. i'm not sure about this though and i haven't checked.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby alpsessays » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Cupwise wrote:well not on everything.
with most EQ programs it doesn't matter because peak or evf17, or any of those modes, will have no effect. with compressors that were sampled from hardware that used RMS mode, then RMS mode should be used in nebula.
Well, yeah - I meant that. EQ you won't notice and an RMS compressor is, well, an RMS compressor :D . Interesting you mention about the tape though. Obviously you don't just blindly set it without some experimentation, but it seems natural enough to have peak mode as the default as it were, and then compare other modes against it.
alpsessays
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Cupwise » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:19 pm

alpsessays wrote:Obviously you don't just blindly set it without some experimentation
exactly. although i think that the vast majority of times it will be ok.
alpsessays wrote:but it seems natural enough to have peak mode as the default as it were, and then compare other modes against it.

well, keep in mind that i'm the only one saying this about peak, at least for now. other devs or acustica might not agree. but i stated my case for why i feel that way, so it's up to you/anyone else to make up your own mind.

i guess part of the reason i rambled about this so much in here, is because i'm personally going to be (unless it ever slips my mind) releasing my stuff set up like this from now on, and like i said, updating my old stuff gradually, to use peak. so if anyone ever sees that i have something set to peak and wonders why, they can see my reasoning right here.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby alpsessays » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Cool.

By the way, I got a couple of things from you last week - the Gibbs spring (got the update too) and Tube FM 3. Looking forward to having a play ;).
alpsessays
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Melon_Jack » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:45 pm

Well, i tried to compare 76D (dunno wich one, black or blue in demo) with different settings and CLA76.
And interesting result - TIMED and PEAK more FAT, but slightly dirty. Default preset eating lows. Timed - better, but it's like less compressed sound.
Well, that's my test. Opinions?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5375499/DRUMS_COMPARSION.zip
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby dacaveprods » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:02 pm

So which parameter do i change as in the enfs page per program there r min n max for both attack n release???
dacaveprods

Postby Cupwise » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:44 pm

dacaveprods wrote:So which parameter do i change as in the enfs page per program there r min n max for both attack n release???

i was talking about the main attack and release controls you see when you load a preamp type program. the attack and release stuff in the evf page should probably just be left alone.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby dacaveprods » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm

Cupwise wrote:
dacaveprods wrote:So which parameter do i change as in the enfs page per program there r min n max for both attack n release???

i was talking about the main attack and release controls you see when you load a preamp type program. the attack and release stuff in the evf page should probably just be left alone.

Thanx Much!!!
dacaveprods

Postby yr » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 am

I like the thought behind switching the env type to peak- it makes perfect sense. That said, having tested it I'm not sure that it works well in practice. I've tried it with several preamp presets and the end result was always inferior to my ears when compared to the default RMS17 settings.

What I did to test it was choose relatively clean presets (with low thd) and process a track that was recorded at very moderate levels multiple times. I then compared both versions (peak/RMS17). The Peak setting seems to generate more artifacts regardless of the sampled HW.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula