Login

Standard Category 1 Names

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Standard Category 1 Names

Postby TranscendingMusic » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:01 pm

beingmf3 wrote:YAY and NAY – instead of "DST" I'd choose "SAT". <-- Yay or nay?

I tend to lean towards literal when dealing with technical matters. "Saturation" is somewhat misleading because to me, old school "saturation" also meant physical peak control of signals which Nebula can't really do just yet (related to compressors as well naturally). In fact this is something I wanted to get into with the new Distortion preset I posted about (which by the way, I need some more audio examples for those of you who are sleeping :o )
"Distortion" is a consequence of saturating circuits, tubes, etc etc...
-
"Distortion" though is covered nicely by Nebula. Since saturation is itself a separate event that occurs but not so much so right now with Nebula, I like to lean towards "DST" to indicate just that, literally. Some words these days have loose meaning but what ever you guys want for a category name is fine.
-
-

And by the way, please respond, other developers(thanks Niklas) so "YAY's" and "NAY's" are not for nothing
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby rrrobo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:33 am

YES! (yay)

Without being rude I think it's ridiculous that developers create new categories for their programs and don't even tell you what it is!! So you spend 10 minutes looking down the list just to try a demo for example. Why Room Hunters didn't think putting their libraries under REV was the best idea is beyond me. I think developers want to stand out or be unique or something but end up doing the opposite making their programs impossible to find. Sorry for the rant but I couldn't agree more to this naming convention. Definitely one of the reasons why new users to Nebula get turned off.

The only ones I would change are:

CON = Consoles/Mixers
AMP = Guitar/amp stuff
and maybe have a separate TUB (or VLV) for tube only stuff, and keep the DST for more specific distortion based tube stuff (if that makes sense). Tube preamps should still go in PRE.

Also worth mentioning is I think it's possible to have 4 letter categories though I might be wrong, but this could be really useful as you could have COMP, TUBE, TAPE, etc making it really easy to dial stuff in.

Cheers
Mark
rrrobo
User Level V
User Level V

Postby SWAN » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:09 pm

YAY
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Cupwise » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:40 pm

sure organization is a good thing, but getting everyone to agree on a scheme is another thing altogether. for what it's worth i agree that the proposed scheme is good. so, YAAAAAAY.

also, i can't think of any way of pointing this out without it sounding like shameless self promotion, which it is, but i think my programs belong in the RAD category- for being so radical.
and/or because they are radios.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:21 pm

My two cents.I love this company and Giancarlo and co have coded what is actually known as the best analog hardware simulator on the planet by those of us in the know ........but Nebula has a really bad user interface.

Native instruments and Spectrasonics make very usable explorer type windows where selections can be made in a large space easily. The number of Categories won't matter as much if you didn't have to have a tiny arrow that needs 1 mm of accuracy and such a small window to scroll slowly down to the last category.

Even if we had just 5 main categories guys - it just is not user friendly and is a workflow killer. I am patient because it is so worth using Nebula but perhaps it seems like the whole thing needs to be redesigned to make selection easier. Don't know how easy that is but I am just talking about the front end.

For example - Spectrasonics Omnisphere actually opens up a new window to allow easy selection. How about that then?
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:04 am

i kind of agree with you on most points. it is the best analog sound i've heard from a plug. the interface could be better. for me the tiny arrows and clunky navigation aren't exactly a total 'workflow killer', but yes it would be pretty cool if you could have a larger box pop up with the ability to view all programs in a category on the screen at the same time, to make your selection. even better would be if you could move them around and organize them, perhaps in order of favorites, etc. yes there are subcategories which can help with that, but you need NAT to be able to quickly change those, as doing it in nebula takes too long.
it would also be very cool if the 'backend' section of nebula, the stuff in the edit menus, was sort of revamped in a way that made it easier to figure out and use. this would even make it easier for developers to figure out how make more complex programs, for example create controls to adjust different things and re-scale the ranges of those controls. another example is connecting the different controllers like the lfos and envelopes to things. most users probably never use that stuff or even know it exists. you could take a filter program and hook the freq up to an lfo or envelope to create an autowah (at least i'm pretty sure i've done this before). but it's kind of difficult to figure that out. i think there is a ton of potential in that stuff that hasn't been tapped into yet.

obviously giancarlo is always busy, and focuses mostly on pushing the main aspect of the program to its limits. example- the AHD technology, which looks to be a great leap forward. an interface redesign would be welcome though.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby markham » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Have to say I agree with h-man.
I like the sounds I can get with some of the Nebula libraries, but the user interface is so poor in my opinion that I have essentially abandoned using Nebula at this point.

May sound a bit harsh to some of you, but I definitely don't mean it that way. The UI is just so strange to me, with small buttons and difficult-to-read menus.

And is there a technical reason why this thread is trying to delineate and categorize by using 3-letter names? Why not just have the names themselves? Like: "Compressors". Or "EQs". Or "Reverbs". There may be a technical reason why you must stick to 3 letters, but that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's very strange to name things in this way, and I absolutely guarantee you beyond a S***** of a doubt that this is the kind of thing that many non-Nebula users find difficult to comprehend.

Anyway, just wanted to weigh in on this. I'd really like Nebula to become easier to use and understand, as I do think it can be a great platform. But there are definitely things standing in the way right now. The UI is one of them.
markham
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:05 am

ok, we'll try to do it
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Mauri » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:37 am

giancarlo wrote:ok, we'll try to do it

Great, I'm looking forward to what you come up with :) !

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 8 x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, Nebula 3 Pro & Server x64.
Mauri
User Level X
User Level X

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:17 am

totally with h-man on the menu issue.

In an effort to show $upport for all developers, I try
to do that with purchases. Sure, I want tools that I can use/need, but some purchases are to help keep things developing ... the drawback is, my library menu
is hindering my workflow more and more.

This is NOT a good situation for anyone.

We all should understand that Nebula platform had much development going on ... that great for the non-PC users, but I hope that soon this important workflow
issue can be refined. Until then [as I'm building a new Mastering Room], I must be VERY selective for the next library purchase.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula