Login

What to get next (AlexB console, Tape Booster...?)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

What to get next (AlexB console, Tape Booster...?)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:45 pm

Heyo everyone,

I'm thinking of getting one of alex's consoles. In that case I really, really can't decide which one (Electronic music)

or maybe something that will be perfect for mastering duties...

decisions, decisions... :?

any tipps?

Re: What to get next (AlexB console, Tape Booster...?)

Postby scottkane » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:32 pm

I would grab for electronic music, the consoles, cause they faten up the sound :)

only if you like fat tho
Cheers!!!
- graphics portfolio - music -
scottkane
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Mercado_Negro » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Get the Modern White Console (MWC), you can't go wrong with it for electronic music ;)

I don't own the R2R yet so I can't really tell (it's on my list since it was released :( ) but EVERYBODY loves it, I guess there are just a few of us who don't have it yet.

Cheers
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby woeischris » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:12 pm

I love the MWC.
woeischris

Postby greekpeet » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:27 am

N-TEN eqs are great on individual drums and percussion along with the channel strip for flavor. The CD soundmaster 115s are good like these too but a bit different.

Love the MWC and all the Line/Mic/Bus colored options it comes with.

R2R Studer 30 ips on the master channel and Studer -15 @ 15ips is awesome on kick/bass. The R2R in general is great for using it as a tonal shaper for electronic sounds and percussion. Using the Akai or Sony on some hard sounding high hat samples smooth out the brightness and give space to the stuff you want to have that clear brightness.

Nice Eq is superb for boosting and adding life to digital oscillators generated from VST/AUs. In fact I don't know any other program that does it like this one.

Bogden is off the chain for sounds that have 'electricity' to their tonality and really help cut through.

Doc Fear Lo +/- program for getting kick & bass locked in together. Beautiful program for that.

Mammoth EQ, amazing for cutting.

Buy everything, then you'll be safe. :D
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Thanks for the replies :-)

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:17 pm

I guess it depends a lot on your tastes...for me there hasn't been a Nebula program that has impacted my work as much as the R2R + Tapebooster programs (I realize those are two different packages but they really go well together). R2R has so much sonic variety from subtle to not-even-remotely-subtle and the saturation from TB+ can really bring out the magic from some of those programs.

You can't go wrong with any of the programs discussed so far (I own 4 AlexB consoles and 3CDSM ones so I'm also a fan of the console emus) but R2R is really special to me.
Last edited by ngarjuna on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby lordnielson » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:49 pm

I really like the clean masterbus program on Alexs' vintage blue console (vbc mbc). Dig the whole library of course.
lordnielson

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Hmmm...the R2R's get so many good critics - very tempting indeed! I've bought several plugins last few days/weeks and would have to wait to spend another 99$....maybe tape booster instead (I love saturation!) could be the one for me...

Postby mertayy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:48 pm

I've never bought any of the console programs due to weak pc but upgraded lately and thinking about it...

I've been impressed with the sound samples of the Globe console since its released.

Must test first but from the audio example it might suite very nice right before a mammoth smile. Should give a more ready for release sound rather than warmth. Besides type of music, vsti users will probably benefit most.
mertayy

Return to Working with Nebula