Login

rendering WITH busgroups opposed to mixing through in DAW

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

rendering WITH busgroups opposed to mixing through in DAW

Postby dikkiedik » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:17 am

hi!

sorry, i think i read something about this some time ago but i just cannot seem to find the thread again, so ..

plain and simple:

if i render (using nebulaman) my seperate tracks,
can i already include mixbus groups from the different console libraries, or is there a big difference in summing your tracks 'live' in your daw through the mixbus programs?

would save me cpu during mixing if i could include these programs in the initial preparation stems :)

thanks!!

dikkie
dikkiedik
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: rendering WITH busgroups opposed to mixing through in DAW

Postby zabukowski » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:35 am

dikkiedik wrote:hi!

sorry, i think i read something about this some time ago but i just cannot seem to find the thread again, so ..

plain and simple:

if i render (using nebulaman) my seperate tracks,
can i already include mixbus groups from the different console libraries, or is there a big difference in summing your tracks 'live' in your daw through the mixbus programs?

would save me cpu during mixing if i could include these programs in the initial preparation stems :)

thanks!!

dikkie

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

Hope it helps :)
Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby dikkiedik » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Usually, I render audio files offline (Nebulaman) with tape, saturation and console input channel programs. Often I add console bus programs and even master bus program to the chain, also. This way I free up my DAW inserts for eq and compression - also don't need to think about tape and console anymore when mixing. This is not 100% real world scenario, but in most cases, it sounds good anyway ;)

Don't be afraid to nebulize your already processed files - if it sounds good, then it's good !

ok! thanks!

more people do the same? maybe i could ask one of the console developers what their opinion is also 8-)

i also want to free up resources, but at the same time i'm a bit anxious when it comes to the summing 'mojo'. i mean, if nebula really comes close to analog behaviour this is worth a debate (like analog vs digital summing always is :D )
dikkiedik
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby zabukowski » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:51 pm

dikkiedik wrote:
Usually, I render audio files offline (Nebulaman) with tape, saturation and console input channel programs. Often I add console bus programs and even master bus program to the chain, also. This way I free up my DAW inserts for eq and compression - also don't need to think about tape and console anymore when mixing. This is not 100% real world scenario, but in most cases, it sounds good anyway ;)

Don't be afraid to nebulize your already processed files - if it sounds good, then it's good !

ok! thanks!

more people do the same? maybe i could ask one of the console developers what their opinion is also 8-)

i also want to free up resources, but at the same time i'm a bit anxious when it comes to the summing 'mojo'. i mean, if nebula really comes close to analog behaviour this is worth a debate (like analog vs digital summing always is :D )

A lot of 3D summing mojo comes with a crosstalk between a console channels. This is not present here. The only difference I can imagine is higher input level/more drive (because of multiple summed channels) into a console bus program, when using Nebula in DAW (opposite to offline rendering, when only one channel at once is feed into console bus program).

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby voidar » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:04 pm

I've started to do the same with Slate VCC before I buss tracks out to my A&H R16 mixer.

It's not ideal, but I can't imagine any other scenario being practical as mixing through Nebula instances introduces loads of latency.
voidar
User Level III
User Level III

Return to Working with Nebula