Login

Rendering Tracks or Bus Stems on Mac OSX

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Rendering Tracks or Bus Stems on Mac OSX

Postby cmcknet » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm just about to buy Nebula Pro and many 3rd party libs thanks to the really sound advice I've received here over the last few days.

I can see how my workflow will have to change after advice from cpwade (Thanks Paul) and just wanted to know the following:

If I need to save some CPU, can I render a track or make a few stems from grouped buses on Mac OSX like you can on PC?

I read there is an Nebula application that can receive bounced files (sorry can't remember the name) and render them offline but it's only available to PC users! Is this correct or have I dreamt this?

Apologies here all, I'm really new to Nebula and just wading through the material available!
cmcknet
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Rendering Tracks or Bus Stems on Mac OSX

Postby zabukowski » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:57 pm

cmcknet wrote:I'm just about to buy Nebula Pro and many 3rd party libs thanks to the really sound advice I've received here over the last few days.

I can see how my workflow will have to change after advice from cpwade (Thanks Paul) and just wanted to know the following:

If I need to save some CPU, can I render a track or make a few stems from grouped buses on Mac OSX like you can on PC?

I read there is an Nebula application that can receive bounced files (sorry can't remember the name) and render them offline but it's only available to PC users! Is this correct or have I dreamt this?

Apologies here all, I'm really new to Nebula and just wading through the material available!

There is a commercial application called NebulaMan - it is available on Windows and OSX.

http://www.zabukowski.com/software/#NEBULAMAN

There is also a freeware application NRGUI, but it is Windows only !

http://www.zabukowski.com/software/#NRGUI

There was an unfinished attempt to make OSX version of NRGUI - warning, this is very basic and much less capable than NRGUI Win.

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... wtopic#p55

The bottom line is: the only rendering application which has a future (will be further developed) is NebulaMan.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby cmcknet » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks Zabukowski... NebulaMan it is then!

Regards
cmcknet
User Level I
User Level I

Postby cpwade » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:31 am

I second that. Good, sound advice. As a "work around" I render stems on massive projects to continue my work as well.

My work flow is this:

Clean-
I clean each track in izotope RX. Bounce each one down.

Color-
I then "treat" my tracks one by one with neb saturation, tape, pres and console emus as needed.
Each one is approached differently based on whether it is vox, gtr, drums, bronze, synth, keys, bass etc. They all respond uniquely.

Playing nice together-
I have developed an arsenal of "presets" to get me in the right place via logic channel strips. (very subjective, and I always tweak the crap out of these on the fly)

I bounce each track down again.

(file management gets important here)

I then eq and compress at track level using neb and a few work horse tools to create pockets and flatter and/or tame the instrument.

Then I create stems.

pre mix done, ready the mix.

-Space, dynamics, image, glue

The stems move to protools and I am ready for a mix.
(in this scenario I bring in the 2 bus strapped with neb libs, and mix "into it". This is the most fun part, as all of my tracks are clean, tamed, pre-saturated and ready for the mix.
cpwade

Postby cmcknet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:52 am

cpwade wrote:I second that. Good, sound advice. As a "work around" I render stems on massive projects to continue my work as well.

My work flow is this:

Clean-
I clean each track in izotope RX. Bounce each one down.

Color-
I then "treat" my tracks one by one with neb saturation, tape, pres and console emus as needed.
Each one is approached differently based on whether it is vox, gtr, drums, bronze, synth, keys, bass etc. They all respond uniquely.

Playing nice together-
I have developed an arsenal of "presets" to get me in the right place via logic channel strips. (very subjective, and I always tweak the crap out of these on the fly)

I bounce each track down again.

(file management gets important here)

I then eq and compress at track level using neb and a few work horse tools to create pockets and flatter and/or tame the instrument.

Then I create stems.

pre mix done, ready the mix.

-Space, dynamics, image, glue

The stems move to protools and I am ready for a mix.
(in this scenario I bring in the 2 bus strapped with neb libs, and mix "into it". This is the most fun part, as all of my tracks are clean, tamed, pre-saturated and ready for the mix.

Thanks again Paul... really great advice here some of which is very new to me. I'll have a serious look at the stages you've mentioned and try to implement something similar for my needs, I only use Logic at present so no PT though.

What do you use to glue your mixes together finally?

Cheers Paul,
Craig
cmcknet
User Level I
User Level I

Postby cpwade » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:05 am

Elysia alpha master, Nebula R2R revox, PSP oldTimerME, Slate Digital FG-X, Nebula DME 1968 BIG, Nebula Powered Bus -18.

Also playing around with some of YR (Yuval's) images, as they make complete sense. Also, I won't discount AlexB, I have only some demo's and lust to buy many of these libs soon. I suspect my answer will be very different then. :P
cpwade

Return to Working with Nebula