Login

Mac OSX Nebula Advice if posible!

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Mac OSX Nebula Advice if posible!

Postby cmcknet » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:23 pm

To all Mac users!

I'm really interested in taking the plunge with Nebula but have niggling concerns about Mac OS X limitations with Nebula. I have a Mac Pro 3.3GHz 6 Core with 24Gb of RAM and ideally I'd like the following emulations...

R2R with Tapebooster +
Analoginthebox FLEX EQ bundle
AlexB CLC & VBC
... and a few others!

I read that Nebula is very CPU / Memory intensive with a Mac setup and also read that support for PC is much better with PC only Nebula programs. I think I can cope with PC having better support as long as my Mac can run Nebula and my main chosen emulations without problems.

Can anyone else with a similar Mac Setup share their thoughts and give an insight into how CPU and memory usage is with Nebula @ 48KHz and 96KHz?

How many EQ instances can be run and do you need to render console emulations before mixing etc?

Damn I want this software... any help would be much appreciated and hopefully I become a Nebula user soon!

Thanks to anybody that can help!
cmcknet
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Mac OSX Nebula Advice if posible!

Postby musicgreator » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:10 pm

I discovered, that the Mac VST wrapped as a AU by expansions wrapper is WAY lighter on the CPU and the server only works with the wrapped version. At least in my case. I might write some more later.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby cmcknet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks musicgreator,

I did look into VST wrappers for Nebula and 3rd party VST's but couldn't find one that worked.

The only wrapper I didn't try was FXpansions wrapper because it was dated and I didn't think it would work with Logic Pro and Mac OSX 10.6.8

I did contact FXpansions but they said they had no plans to update the wrapper at anytime either.

Yeah... anything else you can add would be great musicgreator!
cmcknet
User Level I
User Level I

Postby musicgreator » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:27 pm

The wrapper seems to work fine here on 10.6.8.....
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby cmcknet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks musicgreator, that is good news! I'll maybe try the VST and AU version side by side and see how they fair.

Can you also wrap 3rd party Nebula VST's like R2R or Tapebooster+? It would be really nice to have the 3rd party skins on Mac OSX instead of just one Nebula skin!

Thanks for your time helping me here.. I really do appreciate it.

Regards
cmcknet
User Level I
User Level I

Postby cpwade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Wrapper works fine here as well on 10.6.8 and 10.7.3.

I do not think you will regret the move to the pro version or the server version, assuming that you have played around with the demo, you will find that the newer engines are far, far more efficient in the retail versions. A different animal all together if you will.

I have none of the "old" cpu bog down issues on either mp or mpb. With recent updates and code optimizations, this out dated perception no longer applies, meaning that you can actually get work done now AND fawn over the sound quality. (I experienced the demo 2 years ago and it dropped my system instantly, kernel panics included- so I understand your trepidation.)

I use server version as client only- super ram friendly, relatively speaking. That said, it is still quite a heavy beast, but worth the learning curve and the change in work flow to accommodate the processing load.

Take the leap and don't look back. Buy some great libs
Plan to spend significant time learning the quirks, adjusting your system and work flow. Be patient and very excited. The end result always speaks for itself.

I have not explored different skins for different libs due to lack if interest and I am unaware if this is possible on osx, so I have no opinion.

Also, I only work in 24/48. So no hi def experience to share, but I suspect some of the pros may jump in on this thread and lend a hand here..

Also noted; your system specs are 2-3 times more powerful than my system, and I am very productive.

Most of my breakthroughs came by reading the forums and trying different things. If I can help in any way, message me.

Best wishes.

pw
cpwade

Postby cmcknet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Big thanks PW, your info's also a great help.

I read that Nebula has a quite a learning curve which you also mention. What's different about the way you have to work if you have a powerful PC/Mac?

Thanks again!
cmcknet
User Level I
User Level I

Postby cpwade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:19 pm

I have learned that my decisions must count, limiting my ability to overdo it. Otherwise you end up freezing/bouncing tracks to support your edit decisions.

I have found that using fewer, albeit better tools has been a good thing.

I am able to commit and move on, equaling quicker, better mixes, and greater productivity.
cpwade

Postby cmcknet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks PW, it's something I really want to achieve, far few better plugins. I want to limit myself and have a big cull!

Thanks again
Cm
cmcknet
User Level I
User Level I

Postby cpwade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:42 pm

The most baffling part I found, was the paradigm shift.

Eq's require multiple instances to cover the spectrum and that quickly uses up power. Very different than the days of throwing on 30 RTAS ren eq's across the channels and having 10 different mix recalls to decide on which frequency sets feel more "in the pocket".

The upside is you have flavor choices for low, mid, mid high, and high that rival the hardware. Like having $80k in rack eq's at your disposal.

Downside is you will be shocked how fast your mac pro fans will kick in..

Compressors don't compress. They lend the illusion of amazing vintage gear and modern uber pro gear (think ocean way, Abbey Road), from sucking, swooshing, thwack, smack, thump, FET, S*L, REDD etc. or even subtle. You still need fab filter, the glue, H-comp and others to actually compress in unison with the neb lib to achieve the peak transient tame AND the chosen color/behavior.

Pres, tape, pans, pots, mic's, cabinets and consoles. Exactly as advertised. The bee's knees.

Modulation- Phase, Flange. Not sure, I hear a "stepladder" artifact in the background. But they sound amazing, lush, rich. Someone educated on sampling and imaging with NAT can answer that better than I.

Space- Neb verb beats the pants off of Valhalla, although I keep that, space designer and Altiverb in place as you can imagine, 5 different room spaces on the subs using only neb plus the above mentioned... well you see now how one shifts work flow. It becomes about economy.

What flavor? Neb VST is better wrapped as AU than AU . Nebula Reverb is best for plug-in effects and Nebula regular is best for reverb.

You begin to really think things through as you go.. make it count.

It has taught me discipline and therefor leaner, cleaner mixes. It helps my writing/recording as a side effect, as I am more frugal and each session take "counts" much more. I sound less like the musician "whom thinks he can mix" than I did two years ago. That's a good thing too. Musicians can be so damn sloppy with these things..especially tracking. (Yurval laughing in the background)

Don't use Lion. Nebula works in both RTAS and AU wrapped in lion. No problem, and I went to some effort to prove this some time back. However, there is something under the hood in Lion that affects the sound quality in core audio across the board. It's different somehow and not in a good way. I realize that this is subjective and my opinion only.
(disclaimer: I don't use core audio drivers, I use Avid and Tascam)

So I rolled back to sno-leo. Snappier any how.

Insane rantings, I know. Every board has at least one.

Paul
cpwade

Next

Return to Working with Nebula