Login

How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby giancarlo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:44 pm

it depends on the library developer. Anyway most of recent libraries and acqua plugins (for the exception of titanium) are based on EBU standard, so -18dBFS.
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 9198
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Thank You Sir.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
User avatar
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:09 am
Location: New York City

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby Puranon » Fri May 29, 2015 6:51 pm

giancarlo wrote:it depends on the library developer. Anyway most of recent libraries and acqua plugins (for the exception of titanium) are based on EBU standard, so -18dBFS.


If you mix 0db programs (such as CDSoundmaster) with other -18db programs, what is the best way to gain stage?
Puranon
User Level X
User Level X
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby mchillak » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:20 pm

I would like to know this too. Especially when using a program like Nebula man to process individual tracks offline. I often have a mix of alexb and cdsoundmaster (r2r etc) setup in Nebulaman. Should I be increasing the gain on the cdsoundmaster programs and then decreasing the output in order to get the greatest benefit from their sound?

Just when I thought I finally had a good grasp of nebula gainstaging :roll:
mchillak
User Level IV
User Level IV
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby dacaveprods » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:57 am

mchillak wrote:I would like to know this too. Especially when using a program like Nebula man to process individual tracks offline. I often have a mix of alexb and cdsoundmaster (r2r etc) setup in Nebulaman. Should I be increasing the gain on the cdsoundmaster programs and then decreasing the output in order to get the greatest benefit from their sound?

Just when I thought I finally had a good grasp of nebula gainstaging :roll:


Usually i would use a Gain plugin (FreeG, etc) to (hit/compensate) the next plugin in the chain at its nominal level if needed...
dacaveprods
Member
Member
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:36 pm

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby mchillak » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:46 pm

dacaveprods wrote:
mchillak wrote:I would like to know this too. Especially when using a program like Nebula man to process individual tracks offline. I often have a mix of alexb and cdsoundmaster (r2r etc) setup in Nebulaman. Should I be increasing the gain on the cdsoundmaster programs and then decreasing the output in order to get the greatest benefit from their sound?

Just when I thought I finally had a good grasp of nebula gainstaging :roll:


Usually i would use a Gain plugin (FreeG, etc) to (hit/compensate) the next plugin in the chain at its nominal level if needed...


That would only work in a daw but not for Nebulaman. How do you use R2R in Nebulaman? Do you just adjust gain in the input of nebula itself?
mchillak
User Level IV
User Level IV
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby zabukowski » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:03 pm

mchillak wrote:That would only work in a daw but not for Nebulaman. How do you use R2R in Nebulaman? Do you just adjust gain in the input of nebula itself?


NebulaMan 2 (in the development) can host VST2 plugins, so you can try using gain plugins.

You can do the same by setting proper input normalization in NebulaMan and then do gain staging using input/output faders on each FX in the chain.

Cheers,
Franci
User avatar
zabukowski
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby dacaveprods » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:20 pm

zabukowski wrote:
mchillak wrote:That would only work in a daw but not for Nebulaman. How do you use R2R in Nebulaman? Do you just adjust gain in the input of nebula itself?


NebulaMan 2 (in the development) can host VST2 plugins, so you can try using gain plugins.

You can do the same by setting proper input normalization in NebulaMan and then do gain staging using input/output faders on each FX in the chain.

Cheers,
Franci


Yeppp!!!
dacaveprods
Member
Member
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:36 pm

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby namooz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:24 pm

You know there is a lot of good info here. My situation is a little bit different because I prefer to use a console with outboard with Nebula. I've found my sweet spot between SNR and sound openness when I set my DAW for -15dbfs peak ~using pink noise. I Ignore the bar graph meters in the inputs and use the LSR vu meter that lets you set the scale to your preference for peak and average output. Hitting Nebula around -18 dbfs in isn't always what comes out. There are cases where it's more by a bit leaving the DAW. Just keeping the input peak to Nebula around -18dbfs seems to work well here. The meters on the DAW aren't perfectly accurate let alone the lag on the console bar graphs. But the Master peak vu with peak lights light up 6db before running into mostly unusable distortion. So I like the meters. I have to work with the outboard sizzle in matching the overall gain staging to go for a 75db SNR, which can be very difficult to achieve. So I hit the outboard through the console a little harder since there is no real Aurora interface noise. And I have the console fader scale to show me approx. how hard I am hitting the outboard. Basically when you use outboard like in my situation I had to find what I believed was the best compromise. Also, a good balance between driving the physical gear and pushing Nebula, say on a no insert channel only going out, or a little less on what it may physically be going into and let the Hardware do the work. Always with respect. And I can certainly hear the similarities with analog and Nebula.
namooz
User Level VII
User Level VII
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:07 am

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby Support » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Pink noise has 9 dB of dynamic range, so your normal/average level is -24 dBFSD in a stereo 2.0 speaker configuration each speaker should generate 83 dBSPL at that level.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
User avatar
Support
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:33 am
Location: Lodi, Lombardia, Italy.

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests