Login

How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: How do you make sure you are hitting Nebula at -18dbfs?

Postby giancarlo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:44 pm

it depends on the library developer. Anyway most of recent libraries and acqua plugins (for the exception of titanium) are based on EBU standard, so -18dBFS.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Thank You Sir.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Puranon » Fri May 29, 2015 6:51 pm

giancarlo wrote:it depends on the library developer. Anyway most of recent libraries and acqua plugins (for the exception of titanium) are based on EBU standard, so -18dBFS.

If you mix 0db programs (such as CDSoundmaster) with other -18db programs, what is the best way to gain stage?
Puranon
User Level X
User Level X

Postby mchillak » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:20 pm

I would like to know this too. Especially when using a program like Nebula man to process individual tracks offline. I often have a mix of alexb and cdsoundmaster (r2r etc) setup in Nebulaman. Should I be increasing the gain on the cdsoundmaster programs and then decreasing the output in order to get the greatest benefit from their sound?

Just when I thought I finally had a good grasp of nebula gainstaging :roll:
mchillak
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby dacaveprods » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:57 am

mchillak wrote:I would like to know this too. Especially when using a program like Nebula man to process individual tracks offline. I often have a mix of alexb and cdsoundmaster (r2r etc) setup in Nebulaman. Should I be increasing the gain on the cdsoundmaster programs and then decreasing the output in order to get the greatest benefit from their sound?

Usually i would use a Gain plugin (FreeG, etc) to (hit/compensate) the next plugin in the chain at its nominal level if needed...
dacaveprods

Postby mchillak » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:46 pm

dacaveprods wrote:
mchillak wrote:I would like to know this too. Especially when using a program like Nebula man to process individual tracks offline. I often have a mix of alexb and cdsoundmaster (r2r etc) setup in Nebulaman. Should I be increasing the gain on the cdsoundmaster programs and then decreasing the output in order to get the greatest benefit from their sound?

Usually i would use a Gain plugin (FreeG, etc) to (hit/compensate) the next plugin in the chain at its nominal level if needed...

That would only work in a daw but not for Nebulaman. How do you use R2R in Nebulaman? Do you just adjust gain in the input of nebula itself?
mchillak
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby zabukowski » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:03 pm

mchillak wrote:That would only work in a daw but not for Nebulaman. How do you use R2R in Nebulaman? Do you just adjust gain in the input of nebula itself?

NebulaMan 2 (in the development) can host VST2 plugins, so you can try using gain plugins.

You can do the same by setting proper input normalization in NebulaMan and then do gain staging using input/output faders on each FX in the chain.

Cheers,
Franci
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby dacaveprods » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:20 pm

zabukowski wrote:
mchillak wrote:That would only work in a daw but not for Nebulaman. How do you use R2R in Nebulaman? Do you just adjust gain in the input of nebula itself?

NebulaMan 2 (in the development) can host VST2 plugins, so you can try using gain plugins.

You can do the same by setting proper input normalization in NebulaMan and then do gain staging using input/output faders on each FX in the chain.

Cheers,
Franci

Yeppp!!!
dacaveprods

Postby namooz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:24 pm

You know there is a lot of good info here. My situation is a little bit different because I prefer to use a console with outboard with Nebula. I've found my sweet spot between SNR and sound openness when I set my DAW for -15dbfs peak ~using pink noise. I Ignore the bar graph meters in the inputs and use the LSR vu meter that lets you set the scale to your preference for peak and average output. Hitting Nebula around -18 dbfs in isn't always what comes out. There are cases where it's more by a bit leaving the DAW. Just keeping the input peak to Nebula around -18dbfs seems to work well here. The meters on the DAW aren't perfectly accurate let alone the lag on the console bar graphs. But the Master peak vu with peak lights light up 6db before running into mostly unusable distortion. So I like the meters. I have to work with the outboard sizzle in matching the overall gain staging to go for a 75db SNR, which can be very difficult to achieve. So I hit the outboard through the console a little harder since there is no real Aurora interface noise. And I have the console fader scale to show me approx. how hard I am hitting the outboard. Basically when you use outboard like in my situation I had to find what I believed was the best compromise. Also, a good balance between driving the physical gear and pushing Nebula, say on a no insert channel only going out, or a little less on what it may physically be going into and let the Hardware do the work. Always with respect. And I can certainly hear the similarities with analog and Nebula.
namooz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby Support » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Pink noise has 9 dB of dynamic range, so your normal/average level is -24 dBFSD in a stereo 2.0 speaker configuration each speaker should generate 83 dBSPL at that level.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula