Login

What can I expect from CUDA?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

What can I expect from CUDA?

Postby Stanz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:06 pm

I have to admit that getting a handle on Nebula is very nebulous. What I would consider some basic questions are not easily answered or found, even though you have a forum and an FAQ.

Trying to get a handle on what will happen if I add an nVidia card for processing via CUDA.

I have an i7-860 quad 2.8 GHz cpu w 4GB of memory.

So how does a 9800GT card with 112 cores compare with a GTX 280 with 240 cores?

How will adding either card affect my system, will it allow me to get 2-4 more instances of Nebula, or will this allow me to open 40+ instances of Nebula?

Can I add a card IN ADDITION TO the graphic card used for actual graphic generation to the monitor and have CUDA use it?

Can I install 3 or more graphic cards and have CUDA use them?

I see that when on a 64 bit OS running an x64 DAW, it is crucial you use the x64 version of Nebula in order to get CUDA running (at least that was what I read in a forum post from the developer), yet the x64 version of Nebula 3 Free is not able to open in my Sonar x64 sessions. it does not even initialize and crashes Sonar. So, before jumping in, it would be nice to know what the possibilities and limitations are.

Thank you
Stanz
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: What can I expect from CUDA?

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Trying to get a handle on what will happen if I add an nVidia card for processing via CUDA. I have an i7-860 quad 2.8 GHz cpu w 4GB of memory. So how does a 9800GT card with 112 cores compare with a GTX 280 with 240 cores?

We don't have access for every GPU card for made a chart, more CORE = more processing power. GTX 280 seems to be the standard but here we always prefer no fan video cards.

How will adding either card affect my system, will it allow me to get 2-4 more instances of Nebula, or will this allow me to open 40+ instances of Nebula?

Depends the emulation preset loaded, there are some quite heavy, you can consider CUDA as an extra power for you digital audio, due AA CUDA bridge can not work not at low latency you can use only for mixdown. We create manually a Nebula CUDA DLL version and we use for load long tail reverbs.

Can I install 3 or more graphic cards and have CUDA use them?

I don't know if SLI and AA CUDA bridge are compatible

I see that when on a 64 bit OS running an x64 DAW, it is crucial you use the x64 version of Nebula in order to get CUDA running (at least that was what I read in a forum post from the developer).

A conflict can be created if you use a x86 sequencer so you should install Nebula x86 so AA CUDA bridge x86 wil not work into your x64 OS and AA CUDA bridge x64 will not able to "see" your Nebula x86.

If your situation is
1. OS x64
2. Sequencer x64
3. Nebula x64
4. CUDA toolkit x64
5. AA CUDA bridge x64

Everything should work.

yet the x64 version of Nebula 3 Free is not able to open in my Sonar x64 sessions. it does not even initialize and crashes Sonar. So, before jumping in, it would be nice to know what the possibilities and limitations are.

We already found some issues and crash in Nebula FREE, both PC versions, Please read this:Acustica Audio crash or bug report > http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic and report it, we fix it ASAP.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Stanz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:00 pm

I still do not have any reference for what adding CUDA will do. All you basically said was that it will increase processing power. That part I already understand.

If you could give an example of what your system is, and how many instances of a particular Nebula plugin you could run, both before and after adding CUDA, and what card you are using, that would be helpful.

Thank you
Stanz
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:02 pm

well, for reverbs and eq you could get an useful extra power. I don't know the number of instances, I hope other users could help you (it's like the question: how many instances I can open in nebula?, it depends on what you are trying to load). In general CUDA doubles the number of reverbs you could load, but in your system the forecast is difficoult, since your main CPU is pretty fast.

SLI is not supported yet.
I'll try to updated the x64 version of nebula3 free
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Stanz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks Giancarlo.
Stanz
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula