Login

could this white paper increase speed of nebula?!

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

could this white paper increase speed of nebula?!

Postby david1103 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:16 pm

i don't know how much nebula uses Fourier Transform, but this about to be released white paper would seem to be a breakthrough that could speed it up x10

Researchers Increase The Speed Of Fourier Transform

http://cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Detail ... wsId=32197

quote:

"In the SODA paper, they do this by repeatedly cutting the slice of spectrum into smaller pieces and keeping only those in which most of the signal power is concentrated. But in an as-yet-unpublished paper, they describe a much more efficient technique, which borrows a signal-processing strategy from 4G cellular networks. Frequencies are generally represented as up-and-down squiggles, but they can also be though of as oscillations; by sampling the same slice of bandwidth at different times, the researchers can determine where the dominant frequency is in its oscillatory cycle. "
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: could this white paper increase speed of nebula?!

Postby giancarlo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:04 am

"minimal loss" :)
A lot of minimal loss things sound like a crap... audio is pretty different from video. We are looking for lossless algorithms, otherwise computers are faster and faster and 10x is reached in 3.5 years
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby brp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:19 am

lossless is a must for nebula, we love nebula for those thiny details in the sound which would be filtered out by minimal loss algorithms ;) ..i think nebula already runs quite light on pc!! mac version still has to catch up to the pc version and has to get 64bit too. but this will come very soon i guess ;) ..after that the time is come to improove the work-experience. rethink the gui, the work concept, everything ;P !!! there is the place where i see nebulas big potential!! maybe there is a potential to work with plugin-alliance, because they make a framework which compiles in all pluginformats, so the developper can concentrate in developping hes algorithms and not formats and copy-protection and the whole bs which steals the developpers time!!

so lets see where nebula will go in the future ;)

cheers pascal
brp
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby sneaky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:35 am

it runs ok. Every upgrade seems better
Thanks David103
sneaky

Postby jesse.nemitz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:00 pm

yeah between my dual server setup (i7 2600k quads with 16gb ram and all SSD linked with gigabit) I have more nebula at 512-2048 samples than I can shake a stick at. Now if I were to do film post production i'd have to get about 4 more machines due to the size of the mixes increasing substantially.
jesse.nemitz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Return to Working with Nebula