Login

Calling all REAPER/Nebula experts

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Calling all REAPER/Nebula experts

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm

richie43 wrote:On that note, I syill render stems, I haven't seen the advantage to use the actual "freeze" action. How is it any better?

Freeze

a) doesn't create a new track like "render as stems" does
b) stores your FXs and you can recall them later. Frees up your insert slots. You have a history you can follow
c) is a pretty straightforward and user-friendly system where everything is kept right there in your tracks
d) is also fully editable
e) now, since 4.16, it will render items instead of the full track which e.1) speeds up the process and e.2) save HDD space (it will also help your HDD because since it renders items REAPER won't have to read empty space and tax your disk while reading which may cause dropouts at high sample rates).
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks Mercado. Maybe it's time for this old dog to learn some new tricks! :lol:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:33 pm

RJHollins wrote:hmmm ... this is the problem.

Just tried to freeze a track using the EFX page, selecting the effect I want the freeze to only use 'up to the last selected efx' ... If I pull the 'main track fader' all the way down ... the freeze level shows NO vu activity !
If I return the tracks fader back to say, 0 vu, NOW I hace audio showing in the freeze meters ...

ok, to clarify ...

The 1st efx is the Reaper TRIM modual. Since the track recorded level is NOT where I want, I use this to adjust this level to peak at -6dB. This then goes to a Nebula console plug.

Now, I have some addition plugs on this track that I DON'T want to include in this initial freeze ... stuff like compressors, etc.

Therefore I was using the effects window to select the place in the efx list that I want included in the freeze ... BUT, it seems to be tied to THAT tracks mixing fader.

Hope that made sense!

So stop freezing tracks! lol ;)

Do it my way - Sort out your track, set your loop points, render track from file menu.

Set all original track offline, pull fader-down, lock track and then....

....move on to the next one! Seriously, I think your over thinking this.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby faun2500 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:
richie43 wrote:e) now, since 4.16, it will render items instead of the full track which e.1) speeds up the process and e.2) save HDD space (it will also help your HDD because since it renders items REAPER won't have to read empty space and tax your disk while reading which may cause dropouts at high sample rates).

This is quite interesting to me.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:46 pm

I need to add that after Mercado mentioned freezing of stems instead oh whole tracks, I decided to revisit the freeze function in Reaper. It is an awesome time-saver and convenient tool. Try it out faun, it's come a long way. And thanks Mercado!!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:59 pm

I know what freeze is. I have used it for about 10 years or so :lol:

I guess we all get into our own work flow. Just depends what we have used in the past.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

:P
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:04 pm

faun2500 wrote:I know what freeze is. I have used it for about 10 years or so :lol:

I guess we all get into our own work flow. Just depends what we have used in the past.

Yeah, the thing is REAPER's freeze doesn't work like those methods you've used for 10 years, it's way more versatile :)
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:52 pm

faun2500 wrote:I guess we all get into our own work flow. Just depends what we have used in the past.

This is fine if one is working on their own projects. Then you can be the cook and the bottle washer.

My experience has taught me to lean multiple workflows and options. Studying and leaning the equiptment/tools ... and NOT just the ones or the ways WE like.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:04 am

RJHollins wrote:This is fine if one is working on their own projects. Then you can be the cook and the bottle washer.

My experience has taught me to lean multiple workflows and options. Studying and leaning the equiptment/tools ... and NOT just the ones or the ways WE like.

Yup. Great advice.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Yeah, great advise. I'm just trying to help you get a song finished! lol.

;)
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula