Login

Calling all REAPER/Nebula experts

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Calling all REAPER/Nebula experts

Postby richie43 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:58 am

I will send you a PM soon outlining the batch processing method, if you want. I don't want to hijack the thread too much. Besides, it's mostly all in my post. But as I said, it has really been almost an enlightenment for my Reaper/Nebula combo. So much more flexibility. The biggest drawback has been that it leaves me so many options I need to be more disciplined about making final decisions!! :roll: :mrgreen:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 am

RJH: I have not yet figured out a way to do it all in one go. Usually for a set of stems that I'm processing I'll go through and do all the mono tracks I want, then the stereo ones. But it would be sweet if you could designate somehow and apply in one swoop.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:34 am

Thank-you Gentlemen!

Richie ... hi-jack away! [please] :lol:

ngarjuna ... well, this is STILL helpful. But you are right, there SHOULD be a way to select various tracks, and render/apply WHILE maintaining the 'original' track status ... be it MONO or STEREO.
I understand that REAPER only deals in stereo tracks, but the main issue is disk space. And THAT is only an issue due to the number of 'rendering' that would be needed to handle the NEBULA loads. Note ... it should be obvious that the ONLY reason I'm getting heavy into this whole things is BECAUSE of NEBULA :twisted: Oh sure ... I've purchased many VST tools over the years, HOPEing to find something that sounded musical. Yes, I've gotten some nice tools, but the sampled hardware via NEBULA is the closest to what I've been fortunate to have worked.
Now with my new control room, I see getting a rack of servers ... along with some form of multitrack hardware controller to tie into the main computer ...

Anyway ... I'm going to check out the things mentioned here, along with hitting the REAPER forum to help get up to speed.

So please ... don't be shy ... I've lots to learn, and much appreciate your sharing of knowledge & experience. I hope that I can return the favor some time!

Sincerely.
RJHollins
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby faun2500 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 am

Batch Processing is very handy.

My reason for pulling the fader down and not muting is because if I un-mute all tracks then these tracks will be unmuted as well.

Another thing you could look into thought is locking the track from the right click menu.

This should 'protect' your old track once you have finished with it and stuck it in a folder.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:44 pm

faun2500 wrote:Batch Processing is very handy.

My reason for pulling the fader down and not muting is because if I un-mute all tracks then these tracks will be unmuted as well.

Another thing you could look into thought is locking the track from the right click menu.

This should 'protect' your old track once you have finished with it and stuck it in a folder.

Some good points faun. But one thing to keep in mind is the fact that Reaper (awesome again!) can be configured to not process muted tracks (in preferences) so by muting tracks, especially if it is many, you save tons of CPU load.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:18 pm

Just a FYI, next REAPER version (4.16, I think), will have some improvements when freezing. For example, it will now render items separated depending on your tail length in Preferences/Audio/Rendering. It's pretty much like a hybrid between "Apply FX" and our current "Freeze" (which is pretty much like rendering as stems, with only a few more handy features).

In my case I use "Freeze" and with this improvement much more (this will save me a lot of HDD space, though I use WavePack which also helps a lot because this format doesn't take any space when there is silence in your media files).
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby richie43 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:Just a FYI, next REAPER version (4.16, I think), will have some improvements when freezing. For example, it will now render items separated depending on your tail length in Preferences/Audio/Rendering. It's pretty much like a hybrid between "Apply FX" and our current "Freeze" (which is pretty much like rendering as stems, with only a few more handy features).

In my case I use "Freeze" and with this improvement much more (this will save me a lot of HDD space, though I use WavePack which also helps a lot because this format doesn't take any space when there is silence in your media files).

That's very interesting stuff.....
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:14 am

I thought they changed the way Renders and Apply process so that they only process actively rendering tracks/sends/etc.? Can't recall which update that was, one of the 4.x ones I thought. My rig has been down for so long I can't really confirm or deny at the moment.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:32 am

Mercado_Negro wrote: it will now render items

I was waiting for you to chime in hombre. ;) I was ready to post on Reaper forum about "freezing item" option as some people talk about it a little while ago when Justin bring the "freeze tracks" on the table.

Hallelujah, this function will speed up my workflow (who's a bit exotic).

I think it'll help Nebulites a lot.Watch for this RJHollins. :!:

As for your initial question I think that beingmf3 as the best answer :
beingmf3 wrote:RJ, since Reaper is so highly customizable, I think that every user has adapted to a different workflow. If I was you, I'd try to imagine the most convenient behaviour, and then find the commands to build the macros..

That's what I did.Picture it first.Find the solutions after.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:36 am

Hi Elam, AND the rest of the GANG!! ;)

I've been trying to formulate a 'rendering scheme' ... its' been ramped up to a higher level, now, that I'm being asked to do mixing ... as opposed to mastering. The shear difference in the number of tracks is forcing to find a 'best' working solution.

While this discussion is going on, I've gone back to try the ideas presented with an experimental multi-track REAPER project.

I first tried the FREEZE function, and in particular, the 'freeze to the last selected EFX' menu. THIS function seems like one that could be quite useful, especially in the early stages of optimizing track levels and console choices ... then freeze. HOWEVER, this DOES appear to be more of a 'track per track' process ... one at a time ... times, maybe 20+ tracks :shock: still useful.

The idea of track folders, whereby each new rendered track is 'stored' in the same 'fader' location also looks helpful to maintain organization.

? there IS a question lurking in the background ... this has to do with 'UN-Do'. Particularly, HOW deep, or far back can an UNDO history be maintained ??

Reasoning ... coming from the WaveLAB mastering scenario, I've tried to maintain a logic in the saved versions as we worked on a project. It was then possible for a client to request or change back to an earlier version of the master ... and also helped ME not losing my mind keeping track :lol:

I'm TRYING to think of 'worst case' in this multi-track environment ... and HOW to maintain sanity AND organization. This can always be a challenge, ESPECIALLY when dealing with outside clients, as opposed to doing something solely for myself ...

Another important consideration ... due to NEBULA's heavy resource requirements ... the impact of loading, storing EARLIER renderings COULD mean HUNDREDS of Nebula instances loading. :o Obviously, this idea would be tragic :roll:

At the moment ... I'm still 'thinking out loud' as to what the issue are, and strategies to best handle them.

Hopefully in this forum, the exchange of ideas will helped everyone [including those that have deep experience with Nebula/Reaper] ... at least I HOPE it's not a one way street! 8-)

Well, back later tonite after rehearsal, and after trying out more Reaper experiments!

Again ... THANKS !!
Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula