Login

Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Postby belnau » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:15 pm

grame wrote:
enriquesilveti wrote:User Area / My Downloads / Nebula3 Server Bundle: Nebula VST no installers 1.3.505 (x86/x64).zip

So this is not available to Pro users? Is the expectation that we upgrade to the Server version to get the OSX 64 bit? This is all very confusing.

I´d like to know, too.
belnau
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:56 pm

it's a preview for server users!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby psound » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:52 am

So I need to upgrade to Server just to try a 64bit VST version (which will require VST-AU adapter being a Logic user)??

What is coming out next after the Server version??

'Nebula 3 Pro Server Deluxe Special Bestest Edition'

Whenever I think this plug-in can't get anymore complex...
psound
User Level II
User Level II

Postby benwahguitar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:34 am

Hey there. I've been using Nebula on Mac for the last month or so. As others have said the sound is spectacular but the performance can be a problem on MAC OS X. I recently updated to the latest version (expecting performance improvements). It turns out Lion is not officially supported and Mountain Lion (which both my MACs came with preinstalled) are not supported at all. YIKES!!!!!!!! I'm doing my best not to get too negative but this makes my investment practically unusable ATM. I'd like to echo the Beg, Plea etc for 64 bit MAC support as well as Mountain Lion support. Much of my other software requires it.
benwahguitar
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby jus11 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:19 am

sr2000 wrote:Giancarlo - when you say that there's a bug in the au 64-bit attempt for OSX - do you mean that 64-bit AU is never coming until Apple updates something or that it is still years away based on coding time to get around the bug?

Is the AU 64bit version coming or not?
jus11
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby belnau » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:57 pm

benwahguitar wrote:Hey there. I've been using Nebula on Mac for the last month or so. As others have said the sound is spectacular but the performance can be a problem on MAC OS X. I recently updated to the latest version (expecting performance improvements). It turns out Lion is not officially supported and Mountain Lion (which both my MACs came with preinstalled) are not supported at all. YIKES!!!!!!!! I'm doing my best not to get too negative but this makes my investment practically unusable ATM. I'd like to echo the Beg, Plea etc for 64 bit MAC support as well as Mountain Lion support. Much of my other software requires it.

I´m running the 502 version just fine on ML (vst). There is a problem with the 505 release it seems.
belnau
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby belnau » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:09 pm

jus11 wrote:
sr2000 wrote:Giancarlo - when you say that there's a bug in the au 64-bit attempt for OSX - do you mean that 64-bit AU is never coming until Apple updates something or that it is still years away based on coding time to get around the bug?

They seem to dance around the whole issue. 64 bit is a preview for the server version wich seems like an unofficial version, it´s not listed under products and check this:
Nebula3 Server is our fastest-processing, best-performing, plug-in creation yet.

Nebula3 Pro is our fastest-processing, best-performing, plug-in creation yet.

Then somewhere in the forum there´s a claim that server got the newer tech, wtf? It´s like a product they´re trying to sell with features they dont want to promise to work.
Don´t get me wrong, i like nebula, the support was always nice and helpful, but the communication as a whole is horrendous. There seems to be many relevant tips for using nebula hidden in this forum, in 30 page threads and the devs seem to expect me to read through all of the "tip of the month" threads as well. It´s time for a decent writeup of everything i might want to know as a user (like, u know, a manual!)
belnau
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby teknik » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:50 pm

jus11 wrote:Is the AU 64bit version coming or not?

+1
teknik
User Level II
User Level II

Postby FrankydT » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:08 am

As I suggested before, (CD Soundmaster, Acustica and SoundToys too...) there's a new wrapper, Symbiosis. (Still beta but it works...
But it's for developers only... it's a bit complicated...)
It can wrap 64 bit vst plugins to 64 bit Au.
VstAu Manager and FXpansion wrappers can't do this (32 bit only)
JBridgeM can't help you (I'm a Logic Pro user too... but I'm planning to buy DIgital Performer 8 -64 bit only, but it can load vst like Reaper, only that it's a far better daw in my opinion, now for Win too...)
The first (and free...) developer using that is Vladg, the one of Molot.
Check for Proximity, on KVR Challenge, it's wrapped with Symbiosis.
Next will be Molot, then Limiter 6.
Let's hope....
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby greekpeet » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:06 pm

belnau wrote:
jus11 wrote:

They seem to dance around the whole issue. 64 bit is a preview for the server version wich seems like an unofficial version, it´s not listed under products and check this:
Nebula3 Server is our fastest-processing, best-performing, plug-in creation yet.

Nebula3 Pro is our fastest-processing, best-performing, plug-in creation yet.

Then somewhere in the forum there´s a claim that server got the newer tech, wtf? It´s like a product they´re trying to sell with features they dont want to promise to work.
Don´t get me wrong, i like nebula, the support was always nice and helpful, but the communication as a whole is horrendous. There seems to be many relevant tips for using nebula hidden in this forum, in 30 page threads and the devs seem to expect me to read through all of the "tip of the month" threads as well. It´s time for a decent writeup of everything i might want to know as a user (like, u know, a manual!)

Don't expect a few things.

#1 Clear communication about their product line in an easy to use, and understandable position.

#2 A manual.

#3 Best practices without having to spend weeks/months 'figuring it out' instead of getting on with making great music. In fact you can make stuff sound 10x as worse than with digital algo plugs, taking 10x as long simply due to that lack of information and whats the best way to go about it.

Seems like its too much 'geek' mentality for the sake of it.

Kinda why I pretty much abandoned supporting any newer versions/upgrades. The whole issue with Server was a NIGHMARE and had to get a refund.

My hats off to the best sound you can get from a ITB tool, but I'm waiting for 3rd party devs to release the stand alones.

My goodness I can FINALLY get some work done using CDS' Mac VSTs. In fact my other libraries are getting pretty stale simply because of the major hassle and work flow (other than printing reverb). If I can mix a track with great sound with all digital plugs in 4 hours, with Nebula give yourself two days, two brutal days.

If I where going with a big big release, I would spend those two brutal days mixing each track, but sometimes we've got work to do.

My hope is the evolution of individual VST libraries like Mikes (which IMO work great wrapped at 64bit plugins on Mac).

I know there is a lot of pleas, but you've got it all wrong.

Think of it like this, we're not treated like paying customers we're treated like a 'community' that crowd sources this development.

Once you get your head wrapped around this one you can get work done with what you have, and check back in every 6 months to see what is 'new'from the community.

Everyone is really nice here, and LOVE the devs. They are INSANE (as in a good crazy) for this level of dedication. Still this technology is not prime time and won't be for another three to four years.

Again knowing this you'll really appreciate being on the ground up.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula