Login

Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Postby dpclarkson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Giancarlo, please ignore the programming 'advice' from
anyone here. You're doing a splendid job, brought a truly
groundbreaking product to the market in terms of sonics.
People should actually be thankfull that we get to work
with these awesome tools for so little money.
In the meantime we all can get our work done.
Not being able to work in 64 bit isn't really going
to kill you. I've finished so many mixes already, some of them
which are going to be mastered at Bernie Grundman's.
My work is not rejected at mastering facilities, not because
they're not mixed in 64 bit, but because they are finished.
dpclarkson

Postby cpwade » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:57 am

dpclarkson wrote:Giancarlo, please ignore the programming 'advice' from
anyone here. You're doing a splendid job, brought a truly
People should actually be thankfull that we get to work
with these awesome tools for so little money.
In the meantime we all can get our work done.
Not being able to work in 64 bit isn't really going
to kill you. I've finished so many mixes already, some of them
which are going to be mastered at Bernie Grundman's.
My work is not rejected at mastering facilities, not because
they're not mixed in 64 bit, but because they are finished.

Phuck yeah. +1
cpwade

Postby swartzfeger » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:00 am

dpclarkson wrote:Giancarlo, please ignore the programming 'advice' from anyone here. You're doing a splendid job, brought a truly

Agreed. As a Mac user, I avoided Nebula for a long time because the OS X support seemed very far behind Windows. Now, it seems we are almost there... 64-bit is already testing, Core 4 is almost here, and jBridge currently works for Logic X users like myself.

So, I'm purchasing Pro this week. You and your team are doing a great job, Giancarlo... this is a very exciting time!
swartzfeger
User Level V
User Level V

Postby brp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:46 pm

ah ok. thanks for this statement. i just wanted to make sure that you know juce and its possibilities and are not ignoring it. but if you know it, then i'm sure you judge things right. i could not imagin that changeing gui would mean so much work!

it's a huge pitty that juce came too late for you!

i personally think it would make sens to go with juce from a strategic point of view. it just opens up a lot of ways and possibilities for your company. i even think of licensing the engine code to other developpers which want to make some hybrid plugins.

but its surely a difficult desicion if you had to hire someone for that. maybe you'll find some nerds in the juce forum (if i remember right, there is kind of a job board). and maybe its just more clever to not start it at all! for such desicions swot-analyses usually can help. learn about this if you havent allready.

anyway, i wish you the very best luck for the future of your company and nebula of course!
brp
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby SWAN » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:02 pm

I think its just a freindly suggestion but no one really knows the full complexities of another company/product and as Giancarlo is a genius Im sure he is very likely correct :D

However its always good to think about these things just in case because even a genius sometimes needs ideas 8-) I have to admit Juce sounds like it has a lot of advantages but there is probably a huge amount of work to get it there...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:35 pm

brp wrote:ah ok. thanks for this statement. i just wanted to make sure that you know juce and its possibilities and are not ignoring it. but if you know it, then i'm sure you judge things right. i could not imagin that changeing gui would mean so much work!

it's a huge pitty that juce came too late for you!

i personally think it would make sens to go with juce from a strategic point of view. it just opens up a lot of ways and possibilities for your company. i even think of licensing the engine code to other developpers which want to make some hybrid plugins.

but its surely a difficult desicion if you had to hire someone for that. maybe you'll find some nerds in the juce forum (if i remember right, there is kind of a job board). and maybe its just more clever to not start it at all! for such desicions swot-analyses usually can help. learn about this if you havent allready.

anyway, i wish you the very best luck for the future of your company and nebula of course!

yes, I think jules writes better code than me, more objective oriented, modular, clear and logic. Nebula code is a lot worse. Orion code is a lot better than nebula code, you need to start from the scratch a lot of projects in order to reach the beauty of carmack or jule code. I'm good with complex projects like orion, where you need to go fast through a lot of complexities, but at the end my code is not as much elegant. Orion was my second c++ project and is close to 500.000 code lines, summarized in about 80.000 without spaces, comments and featuring member names of only 5 characters. It will be a pain if we'll decide to go open source :))))

good news for mac osx, new version is really faster. It features intel ipp 8 and a lot of code coming from orion
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 pm

SWAN wrote:I think its just a freindly suggestion but no one really knows the full complexities of another company/product and as Giancarlo is a genius Im sure he is very likely correct :D

However its always good to think about these things just in case because even a genius sometimes needs ideas 8-) I have to admit Juce sounds like it has a lot of advantages but there is probably a huge amount of work to get it there...

yes, exactly... We dont exclude it but we need to hire if we decide to follow this direction...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby jeffbdavis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:17 pm

giancarlo wrote:good news for mac osx, new version is really faster. It features intel ipp 8 and a lot of code coming from orion

I can't wait! :D
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby brp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:09 am

giancarlo wrote:yes, I think jules writes better code than me, more objective oriented, modular, clear and logic. Nebula code is a lot worse. Orion code is a lot better than nebula code, you need to start from the scratch a lot of projects in order to reach the beauty of carmack or jule code. I'm good with complex projects like orion, where you need to go fast through a lot of complexities, but at the end my code is not as much elegant. Orion was my second c++ project and is close to 500.000 code lines, summarized in about 80.000 without spaces, comments and featuring member names of only 5 characters. It will be a pain if we'll decide to go open source :))))

good news for mac osx, new version is really faster. It features intel ipp 8 and a lot of code coming from orion

Ah, you're thinking of going the radical way! my idea would have been a lot more pragmatic and straight forward: i thought to just get rid of the gui code and replaceing it by kind of an interface class. now you make a new gui with juce which just communicate to the engine through this interface class. i never had in my mind to opensource the engine code. of cours this would mean light years of hard work and could even mean some amount of harming to your helth!!

i worked once in a company where a developper should have done a mayor rewrite of his own code which was a mess without any documentation. after a while he got a really serious burnout and were nomore allowed by the doctor to ever work on this code again!!

i really do not want something similar happen to you!! this seams to be a typical coder desease. starting a project with very lazy names to get just a scetch of what you wanna do and afterwards you think oh it works, never touch it again... here jules is really a genious just for realizing that more is less :P just a bit extra effort while writing and you are able afterwards to read through your code like it was a book! i myself would have been exactly the same :roll: short names for variables or even single letters i would have thought of being very practical while coding, why ever writing long names, this just looked like a silly, neardy idea. but as soon as i got the idea and sense of juce, suddenly everything made sense and i got one of these very intense ahaa moments :idea: from now on only code in the juce style seamed correct to me and everything else would have been kind of wrong! you get the picture if you think of typing a password where you see just the dots instead of the letters. how long could you remember a text written in such encrypted dots?? it just never would make sense to write a text like this at all!! you could say, yeah, its just easier to me to only paint some dots to the paper instead of making the effort to use letters... but even if the biggest dot fan finds a year old letter with just dots, he doesn't really have a chance to read it, the letter is just good to throwing it into the garbidge!! you get the point :)
brp
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby giancarlo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:36 am

the fact, in c++ I ll never stop coding in that way, it prevents errors. In java I use a different convention, the common sense one
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula