Login

Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Postby giancarlo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 pm

we are actually working on a server release... to be honest it seems like the wrapped vst version is working better than au version itself, so it's possible we'll go in this direction, it would be so much better and simpler.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby gege » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi Giancarlo,

That's great to read from you! From my tests as we discussed once the VST is fixed for protected libraries problem (making it compatible with old encryption/protection) and most of all the graphic issues with the way Nebula display works (as you explained to me), I think then the wrapped version will be a better choice, also because you can focus on developing one unique plugin and get it working in VST and AU.

As we said today lots of also big names go with VST wrapped in 'custom' wrappers optimised fo their plugins.

We are all waiting..once the graphic display problem is solved it will be a killer version, my wrapped AU showed the Server version is much faster and very stable, with lots of instances in very complex Logic mixes, also surround ones (so all the amount is multiplied up to 4 times as the plugin works in multiple instances for front, rears, center, sub).
In several weeks of heavy mixes the only Nebula crashes I got were for the display crashes eveyone experienced in the VST 64 (and so in my wrapped AU 64)..solve it and this thread will be full of happy people if they know that upgrading to latest Server means stable 64bit for all platfoms and the most recent Aqua engine :)

As usual if you need any help/testing let me know.
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby daveedwards » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:05 am

Umm so out of frustration at not being able to use Nebula still in Logic, I started reading around this thread a bit a second time and I just want to clarify something...

PC users are able to buy Nebula 3 Pro (what I bought) and receive both a 32 bit and 64 bit plugin. MAC users, in addition to just plain not having a 64 bit AU yet, are being asked to pay an extra $80 because we have to upgrade to server just to get a 64 bit version of the VST?

Please tell me I'm misunderstanding something here...
daveedwards
User Level II
User Level II

Postby gege » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:19 am

Yes that's the way it is and the way I understood it..even if it's true that Apple switched to 64bit later and differently than Windows, and even if it's true that Server edition is anyway better than Pro, I still think should be standard to have 32/64bit on all systems (of both Pro and Server), and on Mac for it to be VST/AU/RTAS like almost all the other plugins around...I think/hope they're going towards this direction anyway from what I understood.

Just as a warning, the VST 64bit for Mac is still buggy, in particular about being unable to load encrypted libraries (like AITB) and most of all with crashes caused by some problems with the graphic interface (they're aware of both problems).

Giancarlo said they're going to issue these, once done the AU will work the same (and hopefully they'll do RTAS for Pro Tools as well with a wrapper like I did for myself). I think once that is done the update to the Server would be more than justified.

I just think they should have one version instead of Pro and Server..is only more confusing and frustrating, and it makes it even worse in terms of code update I think.

Hopefully they'll give an ETA soon...I'm sure lots of users would love to read a release date for a VST/AU 64bit for Mac in this thread :)
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby Melon_Jack » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:59 am

Apple switched to 64bit later

Whaaaaaa??????????
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby jus11 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:05 pm

No news is... no news.

Nebula was a good idea, after all.
jus11
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby gege » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi,

I'm still waiting to have news from the guys, but I talked to them not many days ago for a more direct involvement with testing..they're working on something, that's for sure..hopefully some more news will be out, and if I can and I'll know something be sure I'll post it here.

Still using successfully my own ports for AU 64bit, even with the graphic interface instability once the plugs are loaded they sound as beautiful as always, and very stable.

Let's hope something soon will happen and they'll take the great idea behind Nebula to a more modern software engineering and philosophy :)
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby cortinaone » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:37 am

Hi gege, firstly I gotta say a big thank you for your efforts (and anyone else who I might be forgetting!)
Just wondering what the likelihood of using symbiosis to "wrap" the vst to aax is?

Thanks heaps.
cortinaone
User Level I
User Level I

Postby gege » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am

Symbiosis can wrap only VST to AU, and I already discussed with AA how I implemented a VST to RTAS test version of Nebula, working fine on Mac Pro Tools HD9.

AAX is a completely different beast and will need some different approach, it's quite complex and cannot be wrapped so I think it will be more difficult. I personally think the last thing Avid needed was to invent another plugin format..
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby jkervin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:46 pm

gege wrote:AAX is a completely different beast and will need some different approach, it's quite complex and cannot be wrapped so I think it will be more difficult. I personally think the last thing Avid needed was to invent another plugin format..

This may be the only reason that I won't upgrade to PT11 and move to Reaper once and for all. For me the choice between Pro Tools without Nebula and Reaper with it is a no brainer.
jkervin
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula