Login

Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Postby jus11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:08 pm

gege wrote:Hi Andiw,
There will be soon a beta release in AU 64bit for all Logic users, it will have as well the same problems of the VST 64bit beta but at least there will be a 64bit for Logic users, and when Giancarlo will sort out the bugs both versions will work without problems :)

AU 64bit confirmed soon...

This is brilliant, thanks again!
jus11
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby gege » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Hello everyone,

being through another intensive mixing session, I can post here some more updates about the AU64bit.

First of all the good news is that from my tests seems much lighter on cpu than the same plugin/program/setting used with the Au32bit bridged..that's surprising and very promising for when the bugs will be amended.

I think it's important to remember here that there's a 64bit Mac version ONLY for the Nebula Server at the moment, don't know if AA will do one of the Pro..anyway I can say the server version seems to be more efficient (and now I don't work or earn money from AA!).

In terms of crashes, it's very random..sometimes it goes for hours, sometimes it crashes after loading a program. All recommendation of use that I posted before are still valid, and in the end I found myself using the 32bit bridged if I need to audition several programs (or to tweak/edit/save the program inner settings), but when I know what I need and it's just about tweaking a program or just having the sound I load the AU64bit and no crashes at all :)

AITB are aware now that their password protected libraries don't work with Nebula Server 64bit on Mac, hopefully very soon AA will fix this and the graphic interface issues/crashes..and the dream of all Logic users will be completely true! In the meantime let's hope the AU64bit will arrive soon in the downloads for everyone.
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby tonedeaf » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:39 pm

hi Gege and everyone

Thanks for the amazing work u are doing, I have been following the post closely.

I do have an off topic question perhaps you or someone could help me out..

I made a post in the don't Panic threat, but as the guys are always busy so I will try my luck here as well to see if anyone can help me out.. Here goes:

I am on mac Osx 10.6.8, 64bits, running nebula server VST 64bits in Reaper version 4, which is also at 64 bits.

As I understand from following your posts, serting graphics rate to either shortes 5ms or 150ms to avoid crashes. But I am still experiencing crash and at time very often. Sometimes as soon as I re-load the project, nebula instantly crash reaper when I try to touch anything nebula.. This could happen 3-4 times in a row.

I am fairly heavy on nebula. I pretty much use 90% nebula and freezing each track as I go... I try to work slow, so every time I want to touch anything nebula, I will wait about 20 secs in between actions.. Its slowing my work flow down, but as long as it stop the crash I am willing to try... but still no luck.

What else can I do to minimis the crash?? Will a re-install work? Is there something I can send u to check it out? XML?

I am moving all my programs and vectors to another hard drive, hope this will help.. I have not tested it yet..

Also I have gone through all the Nebula tips of the month and tip, #16 seems like an interesting post..

"Conclution: Using x86/x64 bridge with Nebula local server you will able to use all OS RAM plus AA CUDA bridge at x64. Use x86/x86 bridge with Nebula local server in a x64 OS has no sense".

So can I assume that from the tips that I should be running 64bits OS, 32bits DAW and 32bits Nebula Server and take advantage of the local server bridge to solve my issue mention above?

I have 20Gs of Rams at the moment, so by doing this, I can still take advantage of all the rams?

Am correct in assuming this?

Sorry for the long post and I know it's kinda like a double post, but I am trying to solve it as we speak and any help would help greatly...

Thanks everyone!
tonedeaf
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby gege » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Very quick reply.

First of all I think the tip is just telling you that using the 64bit local server you can 'override' the 32bit limit of ram access because all sessions will share memory and will rely on server, and most of all I think it's referring to Windows mainly.

You are using a 64bit daw and plugin, so for you does not really change to load or not to load the local server (from tests here it does not change), and yes you can access your ram without problems.

For your crashes, not much can be done...Giancarlo has to fix the code of the VST because it contains some bugs in the graphics/events handling. I sent him detailed logs, he said he'll work on it...once that will be fixed crashes will disappear. Not much you can do, if not try the things I listed or adapt them to your local configuration/situation.

I noticed that it does not matter how heavy you are on Nebula, but for sure I noticed that Reaper is VERY unstable, I used it only to test the VST 64bit and even with a single track and one Nebula it crashed much more than Logic or Pro Tools (both using the same VST and even wrapped!)...so I suppose part of your more frequent crashes could be a combination of the Nebula 64bit bug that somehow is even worse in Reaper?

Moving programs/vectors does not change and does not interact with the bug...I used up to 20 Nebula sessions in the same VERY COMPLEX project and never had a crash opening the project or just keeping Nebula plugins working in realtime without leaving them open. The only crashes were due to frequent program changes or graphic interaction with the Nebula display...but all this in Logic, Reaper seem to me much more unstable and unable to handle very well heavy loads (it seems to use a sort of external 'shell container' system for plugins).
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby tonedeaf » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks for your reply gege...

hmmmm I went from Logic to Reaper because of the AU 64bits bridge crashing... And AA mention Reaper is what they test the plugin on...

I guess its back to try and error again to get the best balance.. lol

Thank you Gege once again got answering my question... :)
tonedeaf
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby gege » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:18 pm

No problem...in terms of VST Reaper is a good choice in alternative to Cubase or Nuendo (the latter much better but more expensive).

In terms of AU, Logic has no possible competitor...and I personally think is still by far the best and most complete (and industry standard) DAW together with Pro Tools (but only from version 9 and if HD, without the stupid limitations of other formats).

I personally think today you cannot release a plugin if it does not work perfectly in Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools.
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby tonedeaf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:06 am

totally Agree with what u said Gege

I have both Logic and Reaper and personally I love mixing on Reaper.. sigh just got to wait and see I guess...
tonedeaf
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby tonedeaf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:51 am

Does anyone know is it possible to switch programs to kern mode offline? I try to look in the xml, I am not sure if I could see anything related... perhaps if this is possible I have one less thing to mess with on Nebula..

thanks all
tonedeaf
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby giancarlo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:15 am

no you can't....
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby andiw » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Hey Giancarlo,

any progress on fixing the bug not being able to load protected programs?

I'm on Mac with Studio One 64bit and bought the Server just for this reason. Now I'm not able to use my aitb programs. But I want to mix my next song in the next days .... :?
my music: aj-guitar.com
andiw
User Level IX
User Level IX

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula