Postby jkervin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 pm

Just ordered the Server Bundle :D
jkervin
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Postby FrankydT » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:15 am

Hi gege,
I'm happy that you are trying Symbiosis to wrap the VST 64 to Au 64 bit.
And you, from what I see from your post, are much more experienced than me on Objective C.
I also tried to wrap the 64 bit Vst, but, for personal problems, It's a while that I don't put my hand on this.
From what I've seen, anyway, the precompiled beta au is not compatible. It needs some tweaking.
Tonight I've a little time to spend on it, I'll try to do something.
I make my excuses to every Logic user, I promised to do something, and I didn't forget this, but some personal problems holded me.
If you want, gege, we can share our efforts.
Anyway, as I said, and as I can see, you are better than me on Mac compiling (I'm a green...) so the credit will be yours, it's the least.
But this Au 64 bit will born someday...
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby gege » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:42 am

Hi Franky,

thanks for your message, what somehow surprises me is that I think Giancarlo could solve the problem in one day, maybe not on the very AU but at least making the VST as good as possible to be wrapped (it's perfectly fine and I use some wrapped plugins everyday in very heavy sessions without any hiccup or crash).

I arrived to the point where my AUs are perfectly validated in auval and in Logic, I can run the test mode and it loads and works for hours for example in T mode, going through all library.

The main problems I get at the moment are:

1) BUG OF THE VST: I cannot load my AIB cripted libraries. They work from Nebula 3 Server 32bit.

2)Interface changes: looks like the plugin crashes when there are many interactions with some elements of the interface, mainly loading several patches (in particular with contextual menu) and changing the screens in the lcd (kern, mast, prog etc.)

Apart from those two things it works well...and I said we are even doing it with a precompiled VST. Guys at Acoustica could use same system with source code and fix in the VST everything that makes the wrapped version not workin

I don't have much time as well, but I'm happy to help if I can...if AA will read this willing to help once for all, I'm sure this could be fixed in a day or two by them.
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby gege » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 am

FINAL UPDATE:

I run several tests for the last few hours, and I can confirm the the main issues are two, and one of those is actually a BUG of the VST64bit.

1) Using the Mac VST 64bit does not allow to load ENCRYPTED LIBRARIES. This looks to be a BUG because it does not work even loading the original VST364bit in Reaper. I also tried deleting my library .ser and auth to see if the .ser was different, and Nebula does not even generate the .ser at first launch of the protected library. The same library works perfectly in 32bit. Giancarlo or anyone of the developers at AA can you please fix this? Should be simple and fast and it's a major bug not allowing customers to use many of the third party libraries.

2) The wrapped AU64bit can crash and freeze Logic when there's a lot of activity/clicks on the Nebula 'screen', either with the right-click contextual menu (patches) or changing many pages/parameters between the various prog, kern, mast, midi pages. IT WORKS PERFECTLY when tweaking knobs/sliders!

While the second point may seem big, I found myself easily enoying working with the AU64 because I tend to have a few 'favourites' patches, and saving them as Logic presets you can then load/change them without any problem, the interface problem affects only operations on the 'screen' of Nebula. So point 2 could be a minor annoyance (if compard to the 32bit bridge!), with easy work arounds like saving patches as Logic presets or using the 32bit bridged only if you need to 'audition' patches and once decided loading the 64bit for all further adjustements (bye bye tons of bridges plugins).

If AA and Giancarlo can quickly give us a fixed VST64bit for crypted libraries, then I'm sure tons of users would be happy to have the AU64bit alpha version while AA (I can help) tries to make the interface problems more smooth in the VST64bit (looks like VSTGUI 4 has several problems.

I also have a log of the error messages (always the same) coming out from the crashes, if needed.

I think it's a pretty solid start..anyone from AA?
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby teknik » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:01 am

nathanfurst wrote:I gotta say, I'm pretty frustrated with Acustica. When I purchased Nebula 3 Pro about 2 years ago, they swore they would start working on a 64-bit AU version.
They've obviously abandoned it. That's why they're not responding.

I love Nebula, it's sounds great. But I've stopped using it...it crashes the 32-bit bridge all the time, and is just a pain in the ass to not have 64-bit.

It's been a while since I've been this disappointed in a companies customer service...

Amen.

It's not a nice feeling when you realise you've invested in abandonware that the developer has no interest in supporting at all any more ... and Nebula is NOT CHEAP, especially considering what you are paying for. Plus all those 3rd party libraries ... all that money down the drain, Thanks Acustica. :|
teknik
User Level II
User Level II

Postby gege » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:19 am

I know....I personally 'invested' in this just recently even knowing about all this..maybe just for a bet or maybe because I really believe with my solution we could have in a very short time and with minimal effort an at least 'decent' or temporary solution.

I just think guys at AA have to understand that this time would be well spent because it would be for the vast majority or Pros, who can spend money (instead of stealing software) but need products working with new standards...after more than two years!

I emailed Giancarlo...they replied indirectly the first time that it does not work, I showed them that it works, and fixing the third party library bug in the VST64bit would be already a giant step and a way to release an 'alpha' version of the AU64bit.

After that whoever having access to the VST64bit source can easily fix the problems of the interface, and that would make just instant to get an AU64bit from that.

Let's hope that all this testing and the screenshot showing that 'it works' (with very minimal effort from me) is enough to wake up AA and see they're missing lots of customers and money ignoring this request, that should really be priority n.1 to refresh the product and attract new customers and funds.

Hopefully not Amen...in the worse case I'm happily working with the AU64 I created..but I cannot share it obviously, should be anyway AA making it available.

I'm sure Giancarlo will give us soon some good news! :idea:
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby gege » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:13 am

:P

I'm very pleased to announce that I was able to fix the graphic crash issue and now the AU 64bit seems pretty much stable and working!

After analyzing the behaviour of the original VST 24bit from Giancarlo into a native VST host, I noticed that the VST as well suffers from crashes due to too many graphic changes on Nebula 'screen' in a short time.

Debugging error messages produced by the VST64bit and by my wrapped AU64, I discovered the same origin being in VSTGUI graphic drawing functions and recursive display refreshes that VSTGUI does not handle very well on the NSView, like if everytime is 'redrawing' the whole thing instead of only the interested part, or something wrong happening during the redrawing/refreshing.

Solution to this problem is to lower the gui_rate of Nebula to 10ms or lower (at 5ms I brute forced the graphic interface for minutes without any crash). The refhresh speed is still good, the load on cpu becomes less and magically there are no crashes anymore.

So...at the moment I have a good working beta AU 64bit of Nebula 3 Server on my Logic 64bit on 10.6.8

Giancarlo (or anyone at AA) if you can fix the problem of loading external protected libraries into the VST64, I can use that one and give you a working AU 64bit wrapped and all the info/code I used, so you can give it as beta to the loads of Nebula users waiting to use Nebula in 64bit without any bridges.
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby gege » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:23 am

Another good news..Giancarlo actually very kindly contacted me, so hopefully we'll have some good news soon :idea:
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby jus11 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:04 am

gege, you are my hero.
jus11
User Level IV
User Level IV

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula