Login

Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea (solution?)

Postby gege » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi all,

wanting to try again Nebula on OSX, I went back on my Nebula3Free and realized cannot go with Logic 64bit.

I may have the SOLUTION. I fiddled with Symbiosis (I have some coding experience in OSX) and I was able to compile a perfectly working AU from the VST of Nebula3Free, validating in Logic and working.

I also tried a couple other plugins VST 64bit, and Symbiosis converts them to AU 64bit and they work pretty well.

I see there's a 64bit VST of Nebula 3 Server..if someone from AA can give me a trial of just the 64bit VST, I'd be more than happy to try obtaining a working 64bit AU from that, and pass to the team all info to do that themselves. I did not notice any slow down or any problem in about 2 hours of stress test.

The only crash happens when using the right-click menu, but I traced the error and it's easy probably to fix, and it's anyway enough to select patches from the 'display' of Nebula interface (we need enabled the Fast List button): then all works flawlessy, even saving and reloading using Logic patches.

Looking forward to test it more and give quick feedback about this, I just don't want to spend almost 200 euro for doing some testing and before knowing it works 100%.
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Re: Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea

Postby david1103 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Soooooo in addition to being 64 bit, are there other benefits?

Nebula Server shares the memory used for a program between multiple plug-ins. You can use this feature without having to use it as a server.

This means less memory use. This may or may not be a great advantage depending on how you use Nebula and how much RAM you have.
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby gege » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Added to my previous post, I continued my tests and I modified and recompiled Symbiosis, now also the patch selection menu works perfectly.

If someone from Audio Acustica can provide a Mac VST 64bit .vst file of Nebula 3 Server (trial is more than enough), I can test and see if without any more efforts I can give you all info to generate quickly a perfectly working AU 64bit.

Interface (the problem Giancarlo got on the AU 64bit) works perfectly, if someone can contact me I'm happy to help.
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Re: Mac OS 64 bit | Request | Beg | Plea (solution)

Postby gege » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:48 pm

For some reason my original post is still waiting for approval, so I post it again.

I think I found a solution to generate a working AU 64bit Nebula starting from the VST.

I have some experience in mac coding, so I used and tweaked Symbiosis, and compiled a perfectly working AU 32bit of Nebula 3 Free from the VST 32bit. I used the same system with another complex VST 64bit, and I created from that an AU 64bit.

I someone from AA can provide me a trial file of the Nebula 3 Server VST 64bit for Mac, I can give it a test, and once I manage to generate from it the AU 64bit I can give back to AA all the informations they need to do it quickly for all Nebula users here.

I cannot afford to spend 200 euro for the Nebula Server just to make a test and before being sure 100% it will work, but I'm happy to help AA and the community for free solving this problem once for all.

Several major AU 64bit releases are based on this system starting from the VST 64bit, when properly done is perfectly working and does not affect performance in any relevant way.
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby daveedwards » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Really hoping someone from Acustica will get back to this guy above ASAP. We need a 64 bit AU version!!
daveedwards
User Level II
User Level II

Postby gege » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:22 am

Hi Dave,

I hope as well also because would be very fast to check if it goes immediately and smoothly like the Nebula VST 32bit and like the others VST 64bit I used for test.

I recently recorded at a friend's studio in London on Windows, he had 'only' two MassivePassive and convinced me to try MammothEQ with Nebula and I was honestly impressed, so I'd really like to being able to get a working Nebula to use with Logic 64bit.

I think a whole load of new customers could approach Nebula with a complete 32bit/64bit VST and AU compatibility on Mac, and many of those would be professionals.

I'll keep you guys updated.
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby souljah » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:23 pm

gege wrote:Hi Dave,

I hope as well also because would be very fast to check if it goes immediately and smoothly like the Nebula VST 32bit and like the others VST 64bit I used for test.

I recently recorded at a friend's studio in London on Windows, he had 'only' two MassivePassive and convinced me to try MammothEQ with Nebula and I was honestly impressed, so I'd really like to being able to get a working Nebula to use with Logic 64bit.

I think a whole load of new customers could approach Nebula with a complete 32bit/64bit VST and AU compatibility on Mac, and many of those would be professionals.

I'll keep you guys updated.

I see so much plug in companies arising these days, many small but as pro as bigger ones, really putting time and effort in their products. Its kind of amazes me that nebula hasn't been bought over and made into a real product of full support and compatibilities. Its so potential and different.+1 for mac vst 64 bit(now nebula is only one left via vst bridge, ironically the most futuristic technology) :geek:
souljah
User Level II
User Level II

Postby gege » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Following my recent posts, there are important updates.

First of all I'd like to say thank you to Antonello and Graziano because in just a few hours they were able to transfer a license to my account and upgrade it to Server: quick and fast customer service!

Considering I bought myself (!) the server version, I got as well the VST 64bit for Mac. Antonello forwarded my offer to help and possible solution to developer(s), but the reply was that "it does not work".

Anyway I did a quick test, and without even too much fiddling I WAS ABLE TO HAVE IT WORK ON AU 64BIT..see screenshot below:

You have to remember I'm not even having access to source code, so I'm just wrapping a beta VST 64bit using a beta wrapper.

I'm sure that with AA help would be possible to figure out a solution for all Logic users out there (the 32bit bridge it really is a pain, and Logic is with Pro Tools the most used DAW so cannot be ignored).

I'm now compiling a version of the wrapper that can give me some debug messages for problems, at the moment it sometimes freezes when changing patches (more often when using contextual menu, less often when using the lcd patch selection). Could be something easy to fix, or maybe just keeping the xml shorter using Nebula Setups.

If AA wants to help, they could use the same system integrating it with their VST source code (I'm using XCode 4.02 on SL 10.6.8), or maybe providing me with different VST compiled versions based on my tests.

I'll keep you updated as soon as I have some time, I'm trying to do it for myself first of all so let's hope there will be some progress..for me this way is already working, I use only a few patches and once loaded and saved as Logic presets all seems going well.
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby nathanfurst » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm

I gotta say, I'm pretty frustrated with Acustica. When I purchased Nebula 3 Pro about 2 years ago, they swore they would start working on a 64-bit AU version.
They've obviously abandoned it. That's why they're not responding.

I love Nebula, it's sounds great. But I've stopped using it...it crashes the 32-bit bridge all the time, and is just a pain in the ass to not have 64-bit.

It's been a while since I've been this disappointed in a companies customer service...
nathanfurst
User Level I
User Level I

Postby gege » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi Nathan,

to be honest I received an excellent customer service, but what I agree with you is that is surprising how they are leaving behind Mac platform, that is the 'pro' sector.

I'm a pro musician and producer and of all big and project studios I worked with, the ones doing some serious business are 9 times out of 10 on Mac...equally divided between Pro Tools (bigger studios with legacy setups) and Logic (more modern ones).

I think Nebula cannot be considered an affordable plugin, but for what it could do is a bargain..so it's a shame they're leaving the pro and most important platform in the music business behind.

I don't have source code of Nebula and I cannot spend on it much time..but I'll try doing my best. If I as able to do this I'm sure and I hope at some point soon AA will help us all..they have a VST 64bit they can have an AU 64bit.

I'll keep this forum updated about any progress..
gege
User Level VI
User Level VI

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula