Login

Nebula newbie confusion

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula newbie confusion

Postby guitarne » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Hey all!

From the beginning on I was confused by the handling and results of Nebula, and I get annoyed the more I try to understand the program by reading the manual (which mismatches the real plugin in many points) and by wandering through the faqs and the forum entries. Maybe anyone of you knows where a good basic manual can be found to get started with Nebula as a newbie, and how to check for basic installation and configuration settings that may be wrong and thus avoid the correct usability of Nebula, as I don`t get any remarkable result out of that plugin.

When I first installed Nebula Free a few days ago (just to try before buy), I moved various knobs and sliders, and NOTHING happened, not any sound changed. So I headed for the Nebula3 Bundle.
Here are some issues I met with that. Maybe they can serve Acustica Audio for making future customers happier than me, when they are going to use Nebula for the first time:

First of all, most important:
It would be really great if the information for uploading the .ser-file COULD NOT ONLY BE FOUND by chance and when wandering around in the online account, but AS FIRST INFORMATION, mabye in the Nebula manual or in a txt file!!! In my case, it would have saved three evenings of experimenting, and I guess, almost everybody will miss it in the first place.

After registering (installing the registration file) it would be nice if some kind of acknowledgement would exist, something inside the plugin that tells you "Registered to firstname lastname" to be sure that the regsitration process really worked. If the effect programs don`t work (like mine do), you will at least know that neither a wrong nor a yet unfinished registration is the cause.

It would be nice to get to know the difference bewteen Nebula3 und Nebula3 Reverb along with the manual and not hidden somewhere in the online faq.

AND NOW FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT (and most annoying topic for me): I don`t get any results! Or if, they are only weak and sporadic (only, let`s say,0 on one Low Pass filter).
The Nebula3 manual says: "Select the category EQU on the right, look for a program called “2055 angels HI”, then click on it. As soon as you change the frequency (slider 1), the gain (slider 2) or the Q (slider 3) you’ll realize this is an awesome equaliser program!"
It is an awesome equaliser program regarding WHAT??? Sound??? The only effect I notice a sound in change on is the Low Passes. But generally I couldn`t hear any difference in sound AT ALL, when moving around the knobs and sliders. Indeed the change in sound is far away from awesome, it`s more like: Was there any change at all?
The reason why I bought Nebula originally was because I bought an Ownhammer guitar amp library that I wanted to try. And still there is NO effect (not a slight one) when I load the library into Nebula that somewhow sound like an amped guitar.
PLEASE HELP ME! Please let me know if there are any good information for a Nebula beginner to start with, to do the right basic setup and to get done with the first steps easily and happily.

Maybe I just don`t get it, just missing one single setting or configuration which holds me back from Nebula working correctly.

For anyone that can help: Thanks in advance!
guitarne
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Nebula newbie confusion

Postby mathias » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:21 pm

hi guitarne,
your frustration is understandable, but this is the way nebula presents itself to new ones. you have to work yourself in, to understand the basic things. i don't want to go into discussion, if this is good or bad, it just is like it is at the moment.

so let's move on... ;)
you provided no information on your OS, i assume you are on windows.

first: did you remove nebula free before installing nebula 3, or at least installed nebula3 in a different directory? if it is mixed up, try to install fresh.
when you already got your key for nebula 3, backup init.n2p and init.n2v from the program and vector-folders in the nebulatemprepository-folder (search for it, if you don't know where it lives).

assuming you have it installed correctly, open an instance of nebula-reverb in your daw. close the daw and go to the nebulatemprepository-folder, there you will find a file called nebula.ser which you have to send to acustica-audio for getting your key-files.
from your text i assume you have done that already, but i am not sure (please next time provide us with infos what you already know after your rant!).

to open a program click on the init-text in nebula, which will show a context-menu with the programs, that are installed.
choose a program and init should be replaced by the program-name. if you still see init, this is most of the times a failure with the keyfiles (serial-number) of nebula. as long as you see init, you will not get any soundresults.

i will stop here, please let me know where you stand in your knowing about nebula, so we can go on.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby guitarne » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:22 am

Hey mathias,

thanks for your quick reply!
I don`t complain about programs that are not intuitive from the beginning on, it`s just that it`s annoying not know how to get started in a correct way and therefore not to know if failures are related to the initial setup. A detailed getting started guide would be great in order to avoid messing it up right from the start.

Anyway, here we go with some more information: I am running on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (my computer, that is).
First I installed Nebula3 Free, after that Nebula3, and with a certain feeling that the two together could mix up, uninstalled the free version again. Then I uploaded the .ser-file and got a license .exe in return. Then I downloaded the libraries. Now I did a fresh install of Nebula3 in a new directory, made a backup of the inits, executed the license exe, copied my Ownhammer files (programs and vectors) and edited the Rom.xml respectively. All installations were done with "Run as administrator".
When first installing Nebula Free I heard no effect on, let`s say, reverbs. Even now, as I indeed hear an effect on some programs, the effect appears very poor to my ears. I notice an effect on a low pass, I hear reverb on a reverb program, I feel a certain chorus, but the effects barely noticeable, as if they are sort of very weak. And with the Ownhammer guitar cabinet program bank, which should provide a good old rock distortion, I absolutely don`t hear anything, as if bypass was switched on the whole time.
guitarne
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:18 am

Hello and welcome guitarne.

When I first installed Nebula Free a few days ago (just to try before buy), I moved various knobs and sliders, and NOTHING happened, not any sound changed. So I headed for the Nebula3 Bundle.

Which emulation preset did you load?

It would be really great if the information for uploading the .ser-file COULD NOT ONLY BE FOUND by chance and when wandering around in the online account, but AS FIRST INFORMATION, maybe in the Nebula manual or in a txt file!!!

Seems that you didn't read this > Simple rules for purchasing Acustica Audio products: http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic.

We already finish a new installation guide that will be include with the next generation of installers with OSX x64 releases.

After registering (installing the registration file) it would be nice if some kind of acknowledgement would exist, something inside the plugin that tells you "Registered to firstname lastname" to be sure that the registration process really worked. If the effect programs don`t work (like mine do), you will at least know that neither a wrong nor a yet unfinished registration is the cause.

Already done into DISK page. If into REGISTERED parameter you see numbers your Nebula is unregistered. If you see CUSTOMER your Nebula is registered.

Acustica Audio Products Key F.A.Q.: http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

It would be nice to get to know the difference between Nebula3 and Nebula3 Reverb along with the manual and not hidden somewhere in the online faq.

Nebula F.A.Q.
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

Q.3.1 Why are there 2 .DLL files installed with the plugin?
Both versions of the .DLL are optimized for different tasks, as both versions of the plugins have different internal latency settings. The Nebula "normal" is best for dynamic FXs as compressors, preamps, mics, etc. The Nebula "reverb" is best for space, EQ and time-variants FXs as reverbs, flangers, choruses, phaser, etc.

2055 angels HI

About this emulation preset I send you the frequency /level plot. Ensure your loudspeaker system is working properly.
MX1: 5 kHz
MX2: +20/0/-20 dB
MX3: 50%

PS:
1. I copy paste some forum links that you should read.

How to install, upgrade and uninstall Nebula: http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

MAST page F.A.Q.: http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

All tips of the month, listed: http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

2. You are right about the user manual, is out of date and is based in CORE1 audio engine. But the main explanation about how Nebula audio engine and vectorial engine is still valid.

3. About Ownhammer, please contact him directly through email or website.
Attachments
2055AngelsHIPlot.png
2055AngelsHIPlot.png (34.8 KiB) Viewed 849 times
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby guitarne » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:17 pm

Hola Enrique,

thanks for your extensive help!
I re-rolled the whole installation, and with having in mind what I learned so far about the installation myself PLUS the precious information I returned from this thread, the installation succeeded and Nebula seems to work properly right now. Unfortunately I`m not quite sure which exact step was the wrong one.
But indeed Acustica Audio should gather all these important and extensive information in ONE document and deliver it together with the installation.

The Ownhammer library still doesn`t work, but as you said, I will query Ownhammer on that.

Thank you very much! I appreciate your quick and extensive help!
guitarne
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby mathias » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:52 pm

great to hear you got it to work! :)

regarding the ownhammer-programs:
do you see the programname after loading, or does it display still "init"?
are these programs key-protected?

hope you will get this one resolved too.

happy exploring!

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Return to Working with Nebula