Login

Nebula harmonics vs drive/input

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula harmonics vs drive/input

Postby mathias » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:14 pm

i really don't know, how you get your results.
i tried here in nebula reverb with vm-tube (3 kernel, from rhythminmind) and analogchannel (5 kernel) from the acustica-library.
i use a sine at 1 khz/-12 db and measure with span.
span parameters (edited in spectrummode-editor):
rt avg, blocksize 16384, overlap 80, avg time 750, range low -140, range high 0, slope 3db.

with vm-tube i get two harmonics (2 + 3 khz) around -90 db, with the parameters at 0 db (drive and input).
with drive 30 db up (max) those harmonics go up to around -60 db.
with input 6db up they go to -50 and -40 db.

with analogchannel set even and odd to 0 db and you will see all 4 harmonics ranging from -36 db to - 80 db.
higher harmonics are usally much lower than the first two. this depends on the hardware and how you drive it.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby EricH » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:03 am

I can see harmonics with the VST analyzer, although less so than with some saturators. They seem quite low in level though. Of course Saturators being "saturators" have a very large range of effect and can add very inappropriate amounts. I guess high end equipment with 0.5pct THD distortion figures and the likes means that nebula keeps it in line with realistic distortion expectation for quality analogue equipment. This has been interesting thanks.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby mathias » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:21 am

yes that's true.
saturators can give much more "drive", than what you get from real equipment. with my psp-plugins, i switch the saturate button off, most of the time, because it becomes harsh and sharp with it.
the level of uneven harmonics is pretty high with that button on.
in a few cases i went for full drive with nebula programs, but most of the time it gets dull and loses too much depth to my ears. i often put the drive down a few db, to keep it breathing.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Using Blue Cats "FreqAnalyst Pro" I can clearly see that Nebula programs (R2R, PCS, VTC, MLC) are adding stuff.

Mind you, I don't know what that stuff is but I know how my mixes sound now with Nebula! :P
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mirco » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:52 pm

eric,

did you setup nebula to "play" the kernels up to the 9th harmonic for. ex. ?

see this picture:

kernels.jpg
kernels masterpage setup
kernels.jpg (28.77 KiB) Viewed 762 times

ciao mirco 8-)
Mirco

Postby EricH » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:34 pm

It will be default whatever that is?
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Cupwise » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:24 am

first off, you need to be a little more specific. WHICH programs, exactly, are you using. if they are only 1k programs, for example, you will not get any harmonic distortion. if it's a 3k program, you would still only get 2 order of harmonic distortion above the fundamental.

2nd, yes many programs will have fairly low levels of that stuff. if you are trying something like a preamp, or a console... what do you expect? a big part of the reason those things are so expensive is because they minimize distortion. again, what programs are you testing, exactly?

3rd, are you using programs that were sampled in a sample rate other than your DAW is set for, and they aren't converting properly? that might cause weird issues with other tones being made. to me it sounds like you are either expecting something that won't be there with the programs you are using, or you have something 'off' somewhere.

tell us more about what programs you are using, what sample rate you are using, DAW, etc., because what you are describing is.. odd. i could go load vst analyser, or SPAN right now, and get some fairly high harmonic levels...

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:25 am

btw the default kernel setting in neb should be fine, that shouldn't be your problem here.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula