Login

Workflow question for more realtime mixing

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Workflow question for more realtime mixing

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:49 am

RJHollins wrote:I'm currently testing the use of 'WavePACK' as a working file format. Right now I'm set at 32 bit [FLOAT] for all tracks and sub-renders [?] ! Lo and behold, the sheer SIZE of my audio folder for just this ONE 3 min song is already over 15 GIGs [for nearly 24 tracks]. ME NOT USE TO THAT :shock:

Is that folder full of WavPack files? I mean, those audio files format is WavePack. That'd be weird because WavPack doesn't take any HDD space when there is silence in the file.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:50 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:Is that folder full of WavPack files? I mean, those audio files format is WavePack. That'd be weird because WavPack doesn't take any HDD space when there is silence in the file.

Hi Mercado !

Ya know ... I had to go check ... here's what I get:

and this is strange/confusing ...

Yes, the actual WavePACK audio files are only 357 MEGS [and I'm only showing 15 tracks ... a mix of mono & stereo] ... however, ALSO in that same folder are 60 - 'RPP-BAK-UNDO' files. Now, THESE bad boys are grabbing 14.6 GIGS ! :shock:

Also thrown in there are some 74 'freeze' and other back-up files for another 565 MEGS.

I mean ... that's a lot of data for just a single 3 min song. Of course ... in the land of NEBULA, having to render out files is something that I'm adapting to. [although I am planning to add addition computers to use with my 'server' version]. Secondly, since I run on a XP 32 bit Quad-core, I DON'T really want to push the memory limits into a crash. I DO have 4gigs of RAM, but let XP figure what it can use.

Anyway ... this is part of the learning, so if there is something I should consider doing different ... I'd appreciate it! :)

Thanks.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:15 pm

RJHollins wrote:in that same folder are 60 - 'RPP-BAK-UNDO' files. Now, THESE bad boys are grabbing 14.6 GIGS !

These are backup files full of undo points. Are you sure you want to keep them? I've never needed them. If they are there, in your project directory, you can open your project and all undo points will be available like if you never closed the project, that's what they're useful for. You can disable them in Options/Preferences/Project:

i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula