Login

Workflow question for more realtime mixing

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Workflow question for more realtime mixing

Postby richie43 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:46 pm

I have tried to refrain from being a Reaper fanboy with this thread, but I need to say NICE MOVE. I am a 46 year old former all analog guy, and Reaper and Nebula are the 2 most influential tools that convinced me that digital audio wasn't pure crap. The Reaper forums are so helpful and usually friendly, see you there.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:40 pm

Yeah Henry (I told you) I also think it's time to switch.I did it from Pro Tools and trust me that was the best move I made.
It's like AA dev.and Cockos dev. having lunch together everyday.Like Reaper was made to welcome Nebula...

Thanks for this deep test.Very usefull.I'll try it too when time permit.I'm still optimizing my workflow every day,all day...

Last good point about Reaper's learning curve is that you can customize all the GUI (knobs,sliders,behavior,etc).You can make it look like Sonar at the beginning and almost fully behave like it.And when you tired of it look,change any part of the GUI anytime you want.

Stop here.Just go ahead h-man.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ericus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Usually, once you start using Reaper, it's very hard to go back to your old DAW. :mrgreen:
ericus

Postby richie43 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:29 pm

ericus wrote:Usually, once you start using Reaper, it's very hard to go back to your old DAW. :mrgreen:

^^^^^
That.
I see a thread hijacking going on...... :roll:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby ericus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:50 pm

richie43 wrote:
ericus wrote:Usually, once you start using Reaper, it's very hard to go back to your old DAW. :mrgreen:

^^^^^
That.
I see a thread hijacking going on...... :roll:

Don't worry...I truly hope the suggestions of H-Man can help some people, I'll try them for sure.
ericus

Postby Henry Olonga » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:13 am

Thanks for your opinions guys. Don't worry I am not totally newbie on the merits of Reaper. As I have said I bought into it a while back but was more invested in Sonar. I guess I was so shocked how much better it is as far as just getting on with the work of editing and actually using the full power of my comps. No glitches sold me.

Anyway - see you some of you guys on the Reaper forums.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:07 am

yes, maybe because we use reaper for testing nebula, it's our first choice...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby tonedeaf » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:10 am

how about Reaper for Mac? Would it yield similar good results??? :!:
tonedeaf
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby jonwb » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:35 am

A little late here... does anyone know if you can migrate Sonar projects into Reaper?
jonwb
User Level I
User Level I

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:13 am

jonwb wrote:A little late here... does anyone know if you can migrate Sonar projects into Reaper?

hmmm ... never late, just maybe 'recent arrival' :)

anyway ... as an 'R.A', I too had to do a migrate from Sonar v8.5, in order to get a feel for Reaper. What I found was the migrating was NOT to be without issues. :roll:

I attempted a straight '.OMF' transfer out of Sonar into Reaper ... and it almost worked. Basically, it imported the track names ... but NOT the waves.

I had to MANUALLY insert all the wav files ... hmmm :|

It was mentioned about a converter program called 'AATranslator'.

I ended up using this ... and it work! .... well, at least the track AND files imported in. Unfortunately ... even though this IS the 21st century ... the track EFFECTS [eq's compressors, console ...etc] are NOT transfered. Honestly, I was surprised about that ... but I guess it is more complicated than I'm aware ... otherwise it'd be happening.

I must say, that would really put a hampering to thinking about transporting projects between various DAW's :|

The 'good' part, I suppose, is that I got to test drive Reaper from the ground up. Which HAS been good, actually.

Not that 'you' asked, but ... am I SOLD on Reaper ... well ... there are many things to like about it. There are it's 'clunky' areas ... or things that happen that are frustrating. However ... it is a 'young' program ... and they seem to do an upgrade at least once a month.

For the 'Group' !!!

As some might recall ... I'm rather newer to the 'multi-track' DAW scene [at least in a professional-use way], I come from the land of consoles that you can put your feet up on :shock: just don't let the studio owner see that :o

My DAW work has focused more on mastering ... so 2 trk stereo has been my load.

I'm currently testing the use of 'WavePACK' as a working file format. Right now I'm set at 32 bit [FLOAT] for all tracks and sub-renders [?] ! Lo and behold, the sheer SIZE of my audio folder for just this ONE 3 min song is already over 15 GIGs [for nearly 24 tracks]. ME NOT USE TO THAT :shock:

My 'wonder' :P Am I over doing the 'working' bit-depth ??? I know hard drives are cheap! got 5 in the current rig, with 7 in storage. With a few on-going album projects, this could get crazy quick.

again ... work flow ... AND being able to adapt to whatever the situation demands ... that is why I'm more interested in testing, than getting a product out the door [at the moment].

comments ?!? :)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula