Login

GDRIVE

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: GDRIVE

Postby futur2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:20 am

Cupwise wrote:gdrv is for preamps, not compressors. the internal sidechain is for compressors.

the thresh control in compressors is almost like what you would get if 'gdrv' did work with them. gdrv would increase your input going in, so a lower signal would hit threshold level and start compressing. but that's about the same thing as just lowering threshold. so there's really no reason to have gdrv in compressors.

i would imagine that if you tried to patch everything with gdrv, including compressors, that would have been part of your problem/reason why they didn't all work.

gdrv=not for compressors

nope, that was not part of my problem. i understand that it's not for compressors, it's quite obvious if you try it once. i doubt that threshold is the same as an input output compensation that gives you constant levels, but whatever...
futur2

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:12 pm

yeah, the levels aren't constant when you adjust thresh. i just meant the other effects on the sound, caused by where the input is at in relation to the threshold, would be similar.

on the other hand, gdrv shouldn't produce constant levels either if the compressor is doing what it's supposed to, because of the different ratios. gdrv is just a simple 1:1 control.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby zwatrif » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:23 am

I am interested in GDRIVE, but would appreciate a little clarification. Is the GDRIVE fader the way to control the input? Obviously there is still an input & output knob along with the GDRIVE fader. So do I just use the GDRIVE now and leave the input & output knobs alone?

Thanks!

-Mike

elam wrote:@faun2500
For what I remember (when Giancarlo first mention the name) it's simply : an input linked to the output "one button".

It helps you test/find/learn the sweet spot of your Pre/Console/etc programs.

Turning just one knob,you dial for example +10db of input level and it take off -10db of output.Your "average" level stay the same but you can hear where the saturation level is the more "pleasing" for your taste.
Like the workaround people talk here with 2 FreeG or 2 Bluecat plugins link together.But it's INSIDE Nebula and just use ONE Knob.
Gain-staging control with less clicks and hustle.

As for the Giancarlo last post.I didn't read it. :lol:...yet
zwatrif
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 am

GDRIVE will control input and output at the same time .

If you are stacking instances with the same -18db rule you may just want to adjust the input of the first instance so you won't need the GDRIVE .
GDRIVE is useful for hearing how changing the signal on the input of the hardware effects tone and harmonic distortion,because its quicker than changing the input then output to hear small differences.

zwatrif wrote:I am interested in GDRIVE, but would appreciate a little clarification. Is the GDRIVE fader the way to control the input? Obviously there is still an input & output knob along with the GDRIVE fader. So do I just use the GDRIVE now and leave the input & output knobs alone?

Thanks!

-Mike

elam wrote:@faun2500
For what I remember (when Giancarlo first mention the name) it's simply : an input linked to the output "one button".

It helps you test/find/learn the sweet spot of your Pre/Console/etc programs.

Turning just one knob,you dial for example +10db of input level and it take off -10db of output.Your "average" level stay the same but you can hear where the saturation level is the more "pleasing" for your taste.
Like the workaround people talk here with 2 FreeG or 2 Bluecat plugins link together.But it's INSIDE Nebula and just use ONE Knob.
Gain-staging control with less clicks and hustle.

As for the Giancarlo last post.I didn't read it. :lol:...yet
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby maniak » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:48 am

I did the patch and everything seems to work well, but only with Nebula Reverb (32 Bit). The 64 Bit version does not have the "GDRIVE" someone else has the same issue? :|
Attachments
gdrive_64bit.JPG
64 BIT
gdrive_64bit.JPG (64.91 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
G-drive32bit.JPG
32 BIT
G-drive32bit.JPG (60.77 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
maniak
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:50 am

That is weird. My 64bit Neb has both patches in the programs that I patched. And I just ran the patch as is. You don't have separate nebulatemprepositories for the 32 and 64bit do you? You can try the patched n2p files that I have uploaded to see if your patching went awry. The links are further up on this thread. Just back up your n2p files first!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 am

clean the temp folder in both and load from an empty song from the scratch
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby maniak » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks guys :) . The problem seems to be with the Reaper FX Chain. In all my FX chain's the GDRIVE don’t appear... Any Reaper user who knows how to appear the GDRIVE in their old FX Chain? I really don’t want to configure all the Nebula FX chains that I have, it’s a very big library. :|
maniak
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:49 pm

maniak wrote:Thanks guys :) . The problem seems to be with the Reaper FX Chain. In all my FX chain's the GDRIVE don’t appear... Any Reaper user who knows how to appear the GDRIVE in their old FX Chain? I really don’t want to configure all the Nebula FX chains that I have, it’s a very big library. :|

you can't. Reaper saves an internal copy of n2p files overwriting existing ones
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby dpclarkson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:30 am

I just tested GDRIVE on some of AlexB's preamp libraries.
When boosting more than 2 dB, the signal gets overly distorted.
This doesn't happen when I normally crank the input, drive and
turn down the output.
dpclarkson

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula