Login

Adding / editing / deleting categories

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Adding / editing / deleting categories

Postby Len511 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:54 am

I am a newbie, and I have noticed I have run out of category space so I'll need to read the manual and maybe rearrange categories or just search all. I actually like the gui, I like the fact everything is in a small area, and I don't have to search or move the mouse over a large cumbersome, cluttered gui. Graphics are nice when you first look at them, but is ignored thereafter by myself. I've always loved those analog style meters, but find the actual led's more useful.
Len511
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby futur2 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:12 pm

big bump for this topic!

atm i have 15 categories in my nebula that's simply too much. more than the 11 categories that can be displayed make no sense. i don't want to scroll. it would be nice if the library manufacturers would limit themseves to common categories names like EQU, REV or COM and not give every new library or preset a new category name. as much as i like henry's new reverb, i don't want to see a HOR category for it, instead i wanna have it in the REV category. same for all the consoles and eq's from alex and michael.

i realize that at this point it's too late anyways but for various reasons i have shied away from manipulating the categories in NAT. but it seems there won't be an other way...
futur2

Postby highvoltage » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:35 pm

its not that big of a work actually to regroup the presets in NAT, but i wish for a simple 'multiple rename selected' option, cause now i have to rename each preset category one by one.
highvoltage

Postby Stolle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:50 pm

I concur! At this point it's getting ridiculous. I find my self hesitating downloading new libraries as I find it such a hassle to order all the categories. I think this has become a serious issue. Please developers, agree on a standard use of the categories.
Stolle
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby tumburu » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:35 pm

The problem is not that we have many categories. Having all the eqs in the Eq category will lead to further scrolling. It's the interface itself and Giancarlo is aware of that. The interface is thought like a hardware sampler which is not cool anymore.

I remember he said once that he will consider a different approach to browsing.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby futur2 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:40 pm

tumburu wrote:The problem is not that we have many categories. Having all the eqs in the Eq category will lead to further scrolling. It's the interface itself and Giancarlo is aware of that. The interface is thought like a hardware sampler which is not cool anymore.

I remember he said once that he will consider a different approach to browsing.

you are right in principle but for the moment and as is the horizontal scrolling is much less a pain in the ass then the vertical.

there is some very positive input in this thread http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
futur2

Postby greekpeet » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:35 pm

One the AU is finally ported and released I'll upload some free downloads to my Logic presets that are very well organized. I have ALOT of Nebula programs and its much easier to use the Logic dropdown menu vs. the standard Nebula one.

I find this fits my workflow 100% better and quicker.

I'll post links to download as soon as the proper AU is out, and keep these updated as new programs come out. Its much easier to sort things in the Logic drop down menu then using the standard Nebula one.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby xtp » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:54 pm

I posted some info on editing xml, creating custom instances of Nebula on the old site and Nebula-Programs.com

Heres a good starting point

http://www.acusticaudio.net/modules.php ... sc&start=0

Read thru. Nebula is very powerful it is just not dumbed down, to get the most from it you need to learn to be a power user.

I was going to upload to the wiki, I had actually forgotten all about it until today. I havent been very active on the new forum.

My own versions of Nebula have been so heavily customised for so long I can't even remember what the default versions are like.

Not only can you categorise but you can have a different named Nebula instance loaded with custom parameters, latencys etc for each type of hardware device.

So when you load a compressor it could have a different latency setting than a Reverb etc.

You may have to log into the old site to see that page I posted.
xtp
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Juanjo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:30 am

Thanks for the info xtp... I've actually been thinking about doing exactly that (using separate .dlls and configurations for each type of effect) for quite some time. I know the internals of Nebula enough to implement it (although your info will come in handy), and I even thought about using a small batch file to automatically create/rename the different dlls and xmls whenever a new update comes out. That's actually the easy part for me...

The showstopper for me is not how to do it, but what configuration values to apply for each type of effect to optimise sound quality and performance. For example, I know the LFreqD and RateCNV parameters are important for long reverbs, but what are the optimum values? The info available is limited and scattered across manuals, documents, old forum threads, new forum threads, etc.

Specifically, I'd like to know what paramaters to change and what values to use for the following types of effects:

- Pres, consoles and tapes (I assume they should share the same set of config parameters)

- EQs and filters (ditto)

- Distortions, guitar amps and cabs (ditto)

- Reverbs

- Compressors

- Time-variant effects

- Stereo tools (panning, HRTF, etc)

Any ideas?
Juanjo
User Level II
User Level II

Postby analoginthebox.com » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:30 am

I think this question can not be answered in general for categories. It depends on each library. And even within a library it depends. A peak filter at narrow Q settings needs a different optimum kernel length than a shelf curve!

For analoginthebox.com stuff we try to keep it simple:
Set RateCNV and Kernel length simply to Maximum! We set H1-Hx length to the maximum possible quality. You are not wasting any ressources as the unnecessary space in all programs has been removed.
For a well designed library users should not have to fiddle around with things in the MAST page imho.

Edit:
Oh, no for reverbs it's easy to say: Max. kernel length = max. tail + a small spare space (fade times between different kernels)
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula