Login

Adding / editing / deleting categories

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Adding / editing / deleting categories

Postby rrrobo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:28 am

I now have more than a manageable number of categories in Nebula and want to refine the list a bit. I'd like to build the new folder structure with something like EQ/TAPE/CONS at the top level, manufacturers like N**e/A*I below it and then the individual programs (1084/5500/DOC) under that.

I know this is possible on individual programs by clicking Edit and changing the category/path but this method is unrealistic for changing lots of programs. Is it possible to edit the category/folder structure with a larger groups of programs, say by editing an XML file?

I think there was something about this on the old forum but I can't find it now.

Cheers
Robo
rrrobo
User Level V
User Level V

Re: Adding / editing / deleting categories

Postby tumburu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:25 am

I'm curious about this too and also if there is a way to arrange the order of categories from top to bottom (like putting on top the most used etc.).
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby paulrussell » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:44 am

Me too. The NAT3 method is cumbersome.
paulrussell
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:08 am

Everyday this is becoming more of an issue!

Especially with new libraries being released.

I'm at the point where I'm hesitant to just buy a new library release ONLY because the navigation in NEBULA becomes that much more of a chore :|

I've heard the 'programmer' has been busy on platform related development ... but I sure hope that 'Library Navigation' moves HIGHER up the list!

At lease BEFORE carpal-tunnel sets in :shock:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:00 am

I use a hand made TXT like this...

Nebula CATs

------------------------------------------------------
0. PRE - AA + N-P Preamps EPs
1. RAS - CDSM Retro Analog Studio Suite
2. MST - CDSM Mastering Suite EPs
3. TBS - CDSM Vintage Tube Collection EPs
4. AEC - Aeternus Eternus Cabinet Collection EPs
5. REV - AA + N-P Reverbs EPs
6. PP1 - CDSM Producer Pack 1 EPs
7. R2R - CDSM Reel To Real EPs
8. PCS - AlexB Preamp Color Suite EPs
9. BMQ - AlexB Black Master Equalizer EPs
10. CLC - AlexB Classic Logic Console EPs
11. CLQ - AlexB Classic Logic EQ EPs
12. MBC - AlexB Modern Black Console EPs
13. MTC - AlexB Modern Tube Pre EPs
14. MTP - AlexB Modern Tube Console EPS
15. MWC - AlexB Modern White Console EPS
16. MWQ - AlexB Modern White EQ EPs
17. PAN - AA + N-P Pan Pot EPs
18. TLQ - AlexB TL Equalizer EPs
19. VBQ - AlexB Vintage Black Equalizer EPs
20. VMQ - AlexB Vintage Master Equalizer EPs
21. EQU - AA + N-P Equalizers EPs
22. PP2 - CDSM Producer Pack 2 EPs
23. MAX - AA + N-P Maximizers EPs
24. TBQ - CDSM The Tube Bender EQ Collection EPS
25. APC - AITB APE Channel EPS
26. DFQ - AITB Doc Fear Equalizer EPs
27. FTQ - AITB Fate EQ EPs
28. NEQ - CDSM Nice EQ EPs
29. PKQ - CDSM Peak EQ EPs
30. MMQ - AITB Mommoth EQ EPs
31. CAB - AA + N-P Cabinets EPs
32. COM - AA + N-P Compressors EPs
33. TVM - AA + N-P Time Variant EPs
34. TPE - AA + N-P Tape EPs
35. FLT - AA + N-P Filter EPs
36. MIC - AA + N-P Microphone EPs
37. AMP - AA + N-P Guitar and Bass Amps EPs
38. TB+ - CDSM Tape Booster + EPs
39. TCB - AITB - Tube Console Bundle EPs
xx. RSP - AA + N-P Real Space EPS
xx. TST - AA + N-P Test EPS
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby tumburu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Oh, I remember very well the content of each category, but I'm interested in deciding the order myself.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Juanjo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 pm

I do it with the list editor in NAT. There you can load any programs that you might want to modify (or all of them if you feel like it), edit the categories (and other info fields) manually, and click Overwrite so the changes are saved for all programs.

It's kinda spreadsheet-style so pretty straightforward... I'd like to have better spreadsheet-like tools to modify several fields at once, sort the programs by column, etc etc, but still it beats having to do it program by program within Nebula.

What I still don't get is how we've come so far with the sound quality, cpu optimisations, cuda, etc etc, yet still we have poorly designed usability issues such as the categories being limited to 4 characters (?), or not even being sorted alphabetically. It's software not hardware, and it's 2010 not 1970, ffs! ;)
Juanjo
User Level II
User Level II

Postby futur2 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Juanjo wrote:What I still don't get is how we've come so far with the sound quality, cpu optimisations, cuda, etc etc, yet still we have poorly designed usability issues such as the categories being limited to 4 characters (?), or not even being sorted alphabetically. It's software not hardware, and it's 2010 not 1970, ffs! ;)

ditto! :roll:
futur2

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Juanjo wrote:I do it with the list editor in NAT. There you can load any programs that you might want to modify (or all of them if you feel like it), edit the categories (and other info fields) manually, and click Overwrite so the changes are saved for all programs.

It's kinda spreadsheet-style so pretty straightforward... I'd like to have better spreadsheet-like tools to modify several fields at once, sort the programs by column, etc etc, but still it beats having to do it program by program within Nebula.

What I still don't get is how we've come so far with the sound quality, cpu optimisations, cuda, etc etc, yet still we have poorly designed usability issues such as the categories being limited to 4 characters (?), or not even being sorted alphabetically. It's software not hardware, and it's 2010 not 1970, ffs! ;)

What's not to understand? It's a tiny development team that focuses on plugin quality above and beyond usability; that has always been the case and there have always been people who hated the user interface. Since Giancarlo is apparently pretty wrapped up in AU implementation and the server piece, I wouldn't expect a lot of dev attention to the UI in the super near future. And it makes sense: both of those projects would seriously increase Nebula's functionality; alphabetical sorting and category naming might make things a big cleaner and more streamlined but they basically bring no new features to the table. It's about function over form. It's a valid paradigm even if it's not yours.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Juanjo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:04 pm

ngarjuna wrote:What's not to understand? It's a tiny development team that focuses on plugin quality above and beyond usability; that has always been the case and there have always been people who hated the user interface. Since Giancarlo is apparently pretty wrapped up in AU implementation and the server piece, I wouldn't expect a lot of dev attention to the UI in the super near future. And it makes sense: both of those projects would seriously increase Nebula's functionality; alphabetical sorting and category naming might make things a big cleaner and more streamlined but they basically bring no new features to the table. It's about function over form. It's a valid paradigm even if it's not yours.

Man, why the agrssiveness? I think I make valid points, you might not agree but I don't think you can say they are not worth discussing: sorting a list of categories alphabetically and increasing the display size for category names a bit cannot be that hard, or time and resource consuming.

Actually I'm usually pro function over form, but as almost everything in life you have to find a balance, which imho Nebula doesn't have right now. Otherwise i have a Ferrari here for you: it's tight-sealed so you cannot modify it, plus it has no steering wheel and you have to operate the brakes with your nose... but otherwise it's yours if you want it ;)
Juanjo
User Level II
User Level II

Next

Return to Working with Nebula