Login

VU meter

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: VU meter

Postby marcpl » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:49 pm

hi,

anyone using the VST/RTAS wrapper with the Klanghelm in protools? just wondering.

thanks,
marco
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Postby faun2500 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:37 am

enriquesilveti wrote:I get in contact with Klanghelm about the next updates and nice features are comming!

I cant imagine what more it needs apart from better skins! I only use the default one which looks good enough.

Ive been using the meter to re-mix 4 songs and its been a great help with Nebula.

So, what are these new features?
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby dream » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 am

marcpl wrote:hi,

anyone using the VST/RTAS wrapper with the Klanghelm in protools? just wondering.

thanks,
marco

Yes, I do. No problem in my system. :)
Mixing Engineer | Producer | Editing Audio Expert
http://www.davidefant.com
dream

Postby marcpl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:08 pm

dream, thanks for letting me know. i think i'll have to check it out.

regards,
marco
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Postby teknik » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:28 am

The Klanghelm VU is excellent, can't imagine what new features it actually needs, if any!

Incorporating it directly into Nebula somehow would be pretty amazing though ..
teknik
User Level II
User Level II

Postby faun2500 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:52 am

Being part of nebula would be great as these really do work well!

Not sure why we have that MASSIVE screen in the middle of nebula actually. Meters could go there instead!
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby yewtreemagic » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:21 am

I'm well impressed by the Klanghelm VU meters as well 8-)

Very useful!

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby babiuk » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Everybody (most of you, the guys who really know) seems to agree that Klanghelm is a very good and realistic VU meter and I see the developer is a cool guy who keeps on working on it and listening the people's feedback, so I got the VU meter.

I´m thinking about controlling the gain stagin on the nebulas chain just by looking the Klanghelms, avoiding to look at the neb's in/out VUs.
I´m thinking it maybe is less confusing to have just one kind of meter.
Anyway I'd like to know what you think about it and about a comparision between Klanghelm and nebula VU meters (I mean the neb skins with VU with needles, I don't know about the accurracy of that VU meters)
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby faun2500 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Does nebula have meters??? :shock:

:lol:

I have always used a different meter because as far as I have tested, nebula's metering isn't right/good.

I'm getting great results using this VU meter. Keeping everything on 0 (-18) and for stuff without much enery like hi hat I keep the peaks below -6 and adjust nebula's input and output to drive/level match.

Working well this way.
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:37 pm

That's very old information, Nebula's metering has been excellent for a while now. There was a release several months ago that increased the number of steps in the UI animation from 20 to the skinner's preference. With meters that have more than 20 frames of animation it's quite accurate. At the moment there aren't a plethora of skins which utilize this feature from what I've seen on the forums but I'm sure there will be more and more as time goes on.

Of the skins I made, each meter was tested against Naiant's VST VU, Blue Cat Pro and a plain text meter to ensure the results were matching up. I don't have my notes in front of me but they're stepped between 4 and 10 steps per dB depending on where in the scale you're talking about.

The Nebula meters are roughly adjustable too in terms of ballistics by adjusting the UI refresh. Set it too high and you get one of those modern-ish meters that flops around at the smallest little transient; set it much lower and you get the more stubborn, slower moving meters of the VUs of old.

The Nebula meters are perfectly capable of being great meters. As I already said upthread the only reason there isn't an Acqua Nebula meter already is because it's just too heavy resource wise to justify instantiating Nebula just to meter. If you already have an instance open (and are already spending the resources to run Nebula) then you potentially have access (skin dependent) to a serviceable VU meter without instantiating anything else.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula