Login

Definitively stupid

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Definitively stupid

Postby felias » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Well, I've got to admit I must be dumb. I've tried all the forum searches and the google searches, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. :) I've just upgraded to Nebula Server, trying to run in a W7 system with 32 bit Cubase as local server in the same machine. Is there any setup guide or something hidden at any place of cyberspace so that an idiot like me can know what the hell is the next step after installing server? How do I run this thing? I should have been painter instead of musician, I guess... :(
felias
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Definitively stupid

Postby richie43 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:41 pm

To my knowledge, and confirmed for my system at least, if you are running it on one machine (no host and client) then you use the server edition as a regular Nebula instance. It is still worth the upgrade because it runs more efficiently and makes more instances possible. In short, don't worry about setting it up as a server/client app.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby felias » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks, Richie. That's one of the things I've tried when I saw a new Nebula3 plugin in my list, but it only loads the GUI, opening nothing. What's strangest to me, is that both .xml files "Nebula3CoreIIx64" and "Nebula3CoreIIx64 Reverb", are empty... 0kb and no text...
felias
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Grim » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 pm

Did you only install 64bit Nebula?....if your host is running 32bit then you need 32bit Nebula.
Grim

Postby felias » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:25 pm

Ok, to clarify things: I have Nebula3Pro installed and working. What I'm trying now is working with server to avoid RAM limitations.
felias
User Level I
User Level I

Postby mathias » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:23 am

did you start the server?
it is a little extra program, you have to start first.
then you will see an icon in the taskbar, where you can open an infowindow by rightclicking.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:39 am

The server exe is in your nebulatemprepository/server folder. Start that, then start your host, load some Nebula instances. Go back and look at the server, it should show some Nebula instances. I use Reaper, so I may not be of much help. But does Cubase have any feature allowing you to run a plugin in a dedicated or separate process? This allows you to access more ram. Does Cubase have a 64bit version? Also, is your Windows 7 64 or 32bit? If your OS is 32bit, your access to ram is limited anyway. But as I said, I did some tests using the same Nebula presets, regular and server, and the server usage was terrible on one machine. I am told that the real beauty of the server function is when you are able to use separate computers as host and client.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby marcpinol » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:43 am

richie43 wrote:I did some tests using the same Nebula presets, regular and server, and the server usage was terrible on one machine. I am told that the real beauty of the server function is when you are able to use separate computers as host and client.

I was thinking about upgrading this next weekend (64 bit system here, i7 and 16GB RAM), but this is making me really uncomfy... So is better to stay with Nebula Pro if I want to work right now with just one computer?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, guys, but I am not reading any info about this and I prefer to spend this money in another library if it don't works well (I'm not that rich, sadly!).
marcpinol
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby richie43 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:57 am

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Using the server version as a server and client on one computer didn't work as well as using the server version as a regular instance. But the server version DOES work better than the standard pro version as a regular instance. It utilizes the shared memory use of same presets, and it just seems to be more CPU efficient. So even on a single computer, my experience says that the upgrade to server version is definitely worth it. And I am not wealthy either, but I am very glad that In upgraded when I could.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby felias » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 am

First of all, thanks to everyone who's trying to help.
felias wrote:did you start the server?
it is a little extra program, you have to start first.
then you will see an icon in the taskbar, where you can open an infowindow by rightclicking.

mathias
Yes, I start the server, but it seems there's no connection between plugin and server, because the monitor bar of server is alway 0 instances and 0% activity. Besides, in the plugin disk page appears SERVER: N/A. So, I guess I must establish manually some kind of connection between both, but I'm still trying to figure out how I have to do it.
mathias wrote:Also, is your Windows 7 64 or 32bit? If your OS is 32bit, your access to ram is limited anyway.

Yes, it's Win7 64 bits
felias
User Level I
User Level I

Next

Return to Working with Nebula