Login

Latency, Reaper vs Samplitude

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Latency, Reaper vs Samplitude

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:43 am

im trying out a trial of Samplitude right now
dang,
i can run Samplitude at a much lower latency with a 256 buffer size compared to Reaper , the difference is huge,
its so low in Samplitude its barely audible at tracking i almost couldn't tell, its so tiny it wont affect performance at all when recording

i was sure i could do the same in reaper but its not working out on my new system 5820k
but in my head i remember i could do the same in Reaper on boot camp or was it reaper osx hehe

but im not sure if i did the headphones half off test on my mac as i did today

im gonna try my mac with reaper again tomorrow just to make sure

but any thoughts on this good folks ? :)

is there any settings in Reaper that could make Reaper just as good at a 256 buffer size as Samplitude ? :)

because a buffer size at 256 allows me to run much more nebula's and Acquas in ZL when tracking

Thanks for answers in advance :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Re: Latency, Reaper vs Samplitude

Postby beingmf3 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:59 am

I guess (not sure though) that it's related to "Anticipated FX" (switch off, and latency might be shorter)
beingmf3

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:32 pm

i hope such a setting exists , it actually make no sense
that Reaper should have higher latency than samplitude at 256 buffer size, but right now that's the case until i find that setting in Reaper, both Reaper says the buffer is at 7ms but its a huge difference between them
7 ms is recordable to me
but when Reaper says its 7ms it acts like its 15 ms
i really like reaper but something is really off,
i completely wiped everything 2 ours ago, and i mean everything Reaper related except my projects of course lol

re installed reaper but the same problem remains, samplitude wipes the floor with Reaper in 256 buffer size

the worst part is that i dont like Samplitude much
the vst folder is completely unorganized
and all my neb setups, Acquas and other plugins are just piled together in a big folder, i really hate it lol
except the part where it works really well with ZL in 256 Buffer size

it can be that im missing something and that its possible to create custom folders in samplitude
but so far its not very logical to me hehe

it works well with AA tools though and is very close to Reaper in how many acquas and nebulas you can run,
so if i cant fix reaper i have to go for Samplitude

im gonna trial another daw too and see if the same thing happens at 256 buffer size
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby beingmf3 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:41 pm

So IMO those settings might have an influence on what you've asked:

beingmf3

Postby drezz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Jfjer..........Check out the Cockos forum with specifics of your problem and there will be someone there who can help i'm sure. Good luck.
drezz

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:47 am

it means a lot, i really don't want to leave Reaper
i really like it and how it works
and i have a nice workflow going on in that DAW
so i hope i can figure it out
maybe its not liking my UAD-2 pci-e card hehe
or that i have to do something about the uad settings in Reaper
im gonna check if i have the same settings as you beingmf3

if it don't help im going on cocos Reaper forum

Thanks for you're effort guys i really appreciate it :)
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:47 am

A friend of mine had issues with UAD pci cards as well , it might be your problem ...
Thierr7

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:54 pm

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:
it can be that im missing something and that its possible to create custom folders in samplitude

You have to setup your VST folder in Windows itself. Samp does not have this feature to organize within the program. It would be nice to have it implemented, but you can get around it. Here is a screenshot of how I personnaly organize my VSTs, and they show up like that in Samplitude.
Regarding latency, make sure you try the different Monitoring/engine modes in Samp. You could maybe get even lower.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:16 pm

Avgatzeblouz wrote:
jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:

You have to setup your VST folder in Windows itself. Samp does not have this feature to organize within the program. It would be nice to have it implemented, but you can get around it. Here is a screenshot of how I personnaly organize my VSTs, and they show up like that in Samplitude.
Regarding latency, make sure you try the different Monitoring/engine modes in Samp. You could maybe get even lower.

cool :)

the most off putting coming from reaper at first
was that the folders is a complete mess at default in Samplitude and made me not like it,
but sometimes its only some missing knowledge causing these things hehe

next thing to find out is how to switch plugins in a different order when i want to in the mixer
like if i want to place the comp after or before for the eq for example when the plugins is already put in

this is not logical either to me as drag and drop dont work, it could be very easy of course

i have to read the manual hehe

some DAW`s are just more logical straight out of the box

but making folders in windows instead of in the DAW it selves is not a biggie at all, , it might even be a strength
and Samplitude don't hate my UAD 2 PCI-E card hehe

so i don't count Samplitude fully out yet
i want to learn its strengths before the trial runs out
perhaps im ending up with two DAW`s
sometimes 2 DAW`s could be a good thing to have
if both have theirs strengths and compliment each other :)
and i know samplitude is great with acquas and nebulas
its super close to Reaper in being efficent with AA tools

i dont use UAD that much but i have a great bass amp in there that i really really like, ìll maybe take out the UAD card when the ua Ampeg goes native in hopefully a year, its made by BX so it will go native sooner or later

Thanks for the tip :)
Last edited by jfjer379@gmail.com on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:19 pm

Thierr7 wrote:A friend of mine had issues with UAD pci cards as well , it might be your problem ...

do you know if you're friend was able to solve the uad issue with Reaper settings
or did he have to take his uad pci-e card out of his computer to solve it ?

Thanks
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula