Login

I'm seriously scrod

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

I'm seriously scrod

Postby Xmission » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi All,

I've been having a hell of a time with protools and nebula. I've managed to get some great sounds, but at the cost of weeks of crashes and locks.

It started when copying of moving the nebula plugin from one slot to another, or from track to another. I'd get either a crash, or I could watch the cpu monitor go to 100%, back to 0 (in red) and back to 100% continuously, all of the cpus would show 0. Sometimes I could close the program, but it would take hours. Other times, it'd never evem close the file, although it would start. It would list a track every ten or 20 minutes like it was closing it.

Avid was helpful with the crash reports, which seemed to indicate that Sgear was the cause, then waves (when I removed sgear).

Then trouble started to creep up when unfreezing, uncommiting, or making tracks active, if they had nebulas on them. They'd usually go into the ultra slow, no cpu activety mode, sometimes they'd crash.

I could get some work done, but not much because of all of this.

Finally yesterday it got so bad that I could get nothing done.

I started with a session that had a track that would lock up the session every time I tried to unfreeze it.

I uninstalled Waves,and removed all of my plugins from the plugins folder. Gradually I added them back a little at a time, testing the unfreeze until I'd put everything back, except nebula, and sure enough, once I put nebula back, the problems showed up again.

I had opened a ticket with AA about the problem when sliding or copying, and Enrique had send some xml, and AAX file to try.

Since I'd already removed all of the plugins once, I removed them again, reinstalled protools from scratch, and moved Enriques files in as instructed. He'd ask me to make a new session, open nebula on init, and try copying and sliding to see if I could cause a crash or lock.

Now nebula is the only plugin available (all of the others, including Avid's plugins are removed to the unused plugins folder). When I try to open nebula, the plugin show up in the slot in white (thats how plugins look when the gui is open), but the gui never shows up. In a minute or so, I get the waiting circle of death, and that's the ball game until I force a close, and try again. I added this problem to my AA ticket.

In the interest of trying to narrow this down and get going again...

I uninstalled, and reinstalled nebula a couple of times, no difference (I did move my auth keys in each time, so it is authorized).

I also have reaper, so I opened nebula in reaper. The weird thing is that nebula opens, scrolls through a list of things that it is doing, but never actually gets to INIT.

Next weird thing... If I open a nebula setup in reaper, it does get to INIT.

I'm not sure what to do next. I need to get back to work, and am afraid that the language barrier, and ticket system are going to making solving this a process that will keep me out of action for far too long.

Anyone had anything like this go on?

Win7pro 64b, 16g ram, pretty fast processor, PT12.5.2 (but had same problem on 12.4, 12.5, 12.5.1)

Thanks

Dan
Xmission
User Level I
User Level I

Re: I'm seriously scrod

Postby mtalavera » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Two quick options to try that won't cost you any additional money up front is to download and install the trial versions of DDMF's Metaplugin or Blue Cat Audio's PatchWork. This will require you to install Nebula as a VST, then you can use either Metaplugin or PatchWork in Pro Tools to load the VST. I have the full version of PatchWork and it is much more stable in loading Nebula than just using the AAX version.

I have Nebula server and have tried with various success to use the AAX version. I have had CPU issues as well in trying to use the AAX version, and haven't tried to troubleshoot it because I can just use PatchWork to load Nebula as a VST, and all is well.

On a side note, the Acqua plugins, which I have many, in the AAX format are much more stable and you can move the plugin across tracks with no problem and also commit/freeze without any issues.
mtalavera

Postby Xmission » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:35 am

mtalavera wrote:Two quick options to try that won't cost you any additional money up front is to download and install the trial versions of DDMF's Metaplugin or Blue Cat Audio's PatchWork. This will require you to install Nebula as a VST, then you can use either Metaplugin or PatchWork in Pro Tools to load the VST. I have the full version of PatchWork and it is much more stable in loading Nebula than just using the AAX version.

I have Nebula server and have tried with various success to use the AAX version. I have had CPU issues as well in trying to use the AAX version, and haven't tried to troubleshoot it because I can just use PatchWork to load Nebula as a VST, and all is well.

On a side note, the Acqua plugins, which I have many, in the AAX format are much more stable and you can move the plugin across tracks with no problem and also commit/freeze without any issues.

Thanks very much. I do have the demo for Agent, and have been plying with vsts inside it. It does seem better than the aax versions.

I have a bunch of songs all but finished that use straight up nebulas, and lots of them that I either need to start from scratch on, or get nebula to open. I'm hoping for the latter :)

As a side note, nebulasetups seems to be acting sort of similarly screwy. It runs, but doesn't open a gui. It shows up under processes in the task manager, but not applications. I've run sfc now and am currently running a chkdsk, but I don't think I'll find anything. I did try reinstalling nebulasetups also.

Hopefully I'll get some sort of reply from support either here or on my ticket soon.
Xmission
User Level I
User Level I

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:04 am

use vst version with setups too and use a chainer like blue cat or Agent, setups does load nebula libs faster in agent for example, im sure it applies to agent as well :)

but its a good reason to use Agent since it only uses a nag screen in demo mode
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Xmission » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:38 pm

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:use vst version with setups too and use a chainer like blue cat or Agent, setups does load nebula libs faster in agent for example, im sure it applies to agent as well :)

but its a good reason to use Agent since it only uses a nag screen in demo mode

I went ahead and bought Agent last night,as well as cupwise 660, and filters 1, and filters 2... and will do all new projects with it. I started making preset agent setups. I've just got to get nebula going, so that I can finish some projects.

I'm addicted.

It's sad when I look at the big menu of waves stuff that I'll probably never use again...
Xmission
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Xmission » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:57 pm

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/ ... yym1us.jpg

This is a link to a pic of nebula at the point of no return. I never get the INIT
Xmission
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Xmission » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:15 pm

There's a chance I may have solved this without help from AA.

I renames the temp file, made a new one, and started nebula in reaper. It took a little while, but eventually I finally got an INIT.

I'm loading PT now. Hallelujah, it worked. 3 days down the drain, but maybe I can have some joy now.

Guessing something in the temp file was corrupt. I guess no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling nebula was ever going to help.
Xmission
User Level I
User Level I

Postby mathias » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:47 pm

it is always worth a try to delete all temp files (in temp folder of nebularepository) and the "scanboot" file in setups folder.

then nebula will read all programs again at next start (may take a while).

glad you found that and are up and working again :)
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby Support » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm

mathias wrote:it is always worth a try to delete all temp files (in temp folder of nebularepository) and the "scanboot" file in setups folder.

then nebula will read all programs again at next start (may take a while).

glad you found that and are up and working again :)

Nebula store in temp folder a cached XML files in order to load Nebula quickly. Soon you delete XML files in temp folder or complete temp folder. Nebula re-build it on reload, like your web-browser do with cookies.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby Xmission » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Thanks
Xmission
User Level I