Login

REAPER 5.22 , Buggy here ...

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

REAPER 5.22 , Buggy here ...

Postby Thierr7 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:21 am

Hi Guys ,

- Ive just updated to last version and Audio is stuttering with a project that worked fine until 5.22 rc 1, :(

- Anybody else ?

WIN 7 x64 here .

PS : CPU charge remains the same (30,40%)
Thierr7

Re: REAPER 5.22 , Buggy here ...

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:32 am

i just made a post about it in Acqua GS thread, win 7 64 bit here also
it did the trick for me, i was desperate and i almost was going for trying out Samplitude and even re install everything
but luckily i didn't have to do that

not that Samplitude isnt good though but the price difference vs Reaper is huge hehe

i hope it helps :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:48 am

i will post it in here too so its easier to find it if i need to use it again at a later time :

anyone struggling with audio dropouts on windows in Reaper or other DAW on Windows ?

i didnt know i did before i was mixing a larger project, as soon as i put a Master console
G comp
and Pearl on my mixbus i got stuttering Audio at all latencies , it was not to bad with 1024 but it was still there and used unnecessary CPU

now i can even run at 128 buffer size without stuttering
as long as i don't max out my CPU of course lol

it only happened when i put it on my master but i also thought how can my new PC use so much CPU when im not even using a nebula reverb yet hehe
and i was not using an insane amount of AA processing, it would blow up my mac mini of course but it should be like nothing for the i7 5820k

luckily Goggle is our friend

i have read most common threads for optimizing but this one completely solved it for me and i believe it covers more than i have read in any thread

i am of course gonna share the link and also tell you what really did solve my issues after the link

here you go :

http://forum.cakewalk.com/DAW-and-SSD-o ... 44111.aspx

i did all the usual suspects from other sites like disabling CPU throttling, set windows to background services and so on

but this is what truly solved my issues

Disable Startup Items
1. Click the Windows Start button and in the search box, type msconfig, then press ENTER
2. Go to the Startup Tab and choose ‘disable all’ in the bottom right corner.
** NOTE: after doing this Pro Tools users must check the box for “Digidesign MME Binder”**

3. Next, navigate to the Services tab. Check the box at the bottom to “hide all Microsoft Services”
4. Choose “Disable All” on the bottom right corner.
**NOTE: Pro Tools users must check the boxes for “Digidesign MME Refresh Service”, “digiSPTIService” and “PACE License Services”

5. Click OK and reboot the computer.

i have to add it did turn off my Corsair link which is very important for me to run
for keeping my CPU cool and being able to turn down fans and liquid cooler pump to minimum so i don't hear my pc in record mode

so if a program you really need get turned off, try to enable just what you need and hope dropouts don't appear again doing it

but re enabling just Corsair link didn't mess up anything for me,
i think it was turning off countless of Microsoft background services that did count the most

i was a little scared it would mess up my windows completely and not start at all after doing this, but i can confirm it works like a charm

it could be very vice though to create a repair disc just in case
im gonna do that today and also make an complete image of my system drive so i don't have to do this again ever

im very happy now and i hope this could help others that struggle and cant find out whats the problem with their dropouts

doing this could even add some extra juice to you're CPU even if you don't have dropouts because all those background services that you really don't need on a recording computer is indeed stealing CPU usage

well have a nice day good folks, today is Pink 3 band release

that is gonna be a blast

Cheers
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:11 pm

EDIT : Working , I just had to change the theme and back to my favorite did the trick :D

- Cool , hope it helps !

PS : Waiting for "PINK 7236" ...
Thierr7

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:25 pm

so a theme can actually mess up Reaper too and make it buggy, thats good to know :)

well im very happy i did get rid of all the unnecessary background services that i really don't need

my new PC is so smooth now for audio its like a dream

Cheers :)
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:29 pm

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:Cheers

That's good tips indeed , I myself tweak a lot Windows for a long time for DAW work and my Music machine is always offline to be able to have a killer PC !

- I think that's why Mac ppl think PC's suck ... It actually does if you're doing everything on your machine (web , DAW , Games etc...) But since WIN 2k , you can have a GREAT machine as long as you're tweaking it and disable plenty of services and tasks ! My machine starts in less than 10 seconds and doesn't have anything to envy from a Mac ... In our case , Nebula/Acqua is still much more efficient on a PC it seems !
Thierr7

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:31 pm

for those who do audio recording/mixing+games and other stuff should really have two computers
one for audio recording and mixing only
and one for gaming and other things

i was on a mac for a long time so going deep in tweaking windows is pretty new to me apart from turning on the background services for better audio in the performance settings

with algos it was never a problem running out of cpu

but with AA tools the computer really has to be optimized on another level

a optimized PC is outdoing macs easy with AA tools
so if someone think windows isnt a great audio computer they are very wrong

im gonna backup my whole system drive for the next Reaper update though just to be on the safe side,
and a system image backup will be very good to have just in case any day

today's motherboards have so many bios settings lol
i had to go in there and make changes as well
turning off CPU saving really made an impact even when my 5820k was acting like an idiot with audio which i dint know about before i was taking on a larger project hehe

many things have changed since my last pc build 2500k which now is my gaming computer hehe

no doubt its best to keep audio recording/mixing and gaming apart on different computers
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:06 pm

[quote="jfjer379@gmail.com"]
What tool do you use to make a backup of your C Drive ? Thanks !
Thierr7

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:05 pm

The built in backup tool in win 7 should be able too do the job for imaging the system drive

i have a dedicated SSD for vst instruments
and a 7200rpm drive dedicated for my audio projects where i also keep my plugins and programs if i need a re install
so i got no unnecessary files on my SSD 500GB system drive
my plugins and DAW lives on my system drive along with nebula libs and nebula setups
so for me basic win backup tool should be enough

Acronis true image seems to be the most popular one
and it seems like people trust Acronis more
and it gives you more options
if you need it
i dont really know why people trust Acronis more
it could be a force of habit
its pretty cheap though 30§

but personally i don't see any reason why windows own backup tool should be any worse in any way if a image backup of the whole system drive is the goal

i have already made a backup and it worked creating it, but what i don't know of course is how reliable it is when i need to use it

i will attempt writing over my system drive in a couple of days or so with my backup

i must admit im a little scared though lol
so to be even safer i will try the Acronis 30 days trial and make a image backup with that one too, then i will know whats the best and safest one to use

i`ll come back with a report in this thread when i have done it :)

Cheers
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks for the input jfjer379@gmail.com , :)

- I should reinstall my system soon , we have an similar config , almost ... and next time i'll backup for sure !
- I'm just wondering if i stay with WIN7 or upgrade to 10 ...
Thierr7

Next

Return to Working with Nebula