Login

Nebula Settings

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula Settings

Postby cassiocenturion » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Hello my friends,

I would like to have some tips to get the best from nébula Settings.

I would like to ask... TIMED mode is Always better? All programs will be benefit to run in TIMED mode? If I have free cpu processing, should I use CLEAN, EVEN and ODD in TIMED mode?

When I´m using everything in TIMED should I run nébula in CLASSIC mode? Does it make any diference?

Should I worry about changing the milisecond of each clean, even and odd when runing in TIMED?

Also if someone could give me more tips to get the best from nébula i really apreciate!

thanks,
cassiocenturion
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Nebula Settings

Postby cassiocenturion » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:22 am

I was trying some tape programs for nebula, such as cdsoundmaster r2r and apex, I did notice the gain stage is very low in those programs. The signal coming in to nebula is around -18 rms but the tape programs shows this as -35!

I would like to know why those programs are so low, and if there is some way to get more input gain than the 6 db available. In those tape programs I have to makeup something around 14 db to get the proper gain stage. Is there some way to makeup the gain without use another plugin?

Thanks,
cassiocenturion
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby RJHollins » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:13 am

CDS using a slightly different concept of 'optimal' level. Rather than base on -18dB, he uses 0dB.

Critical point [as stated by CDS]. You can run CDS presets at ANY level ... withOUT sound degradation !!! and still maintain all harmonic qualities.

Another point. CDS's 'TAPE LIBRARY' is really a 3 part system, the TAPE, the Over-drive, and a VST dynamics plugin. You don't need all 3 ... but it sure is nice :mrgreen:

2. You asked question regarding 'to get the best' out of Nebula sound. Well ... the STOCK settings, and the way he libraries are delivered, ARE the TRUEST sound to the hardware. Only the DEV has the ability to A/B the library to the actual source.

So ... do we go in and sometimes screw around with the NEB internals. .... yes :oops:

Is it 'better'? that is a matter of personal opinion.

Does it work for every library. NO :o [of course, that is my opinion] :lol:

I do use TimeD settings on certain preamps, consoles, and compressors. [but only when I feel the change is more to my liking]. With many Nebula years under my belt, and many hours studying library presets [like learning any instrument], and having a Mastering Suite to judge in, gives me the confidence to 'alter' ... but it is on an instance by instance, project to project basis. Again ... the stock library comes ready to play.

Granted, there are 'performance' settings [such as DSPBuffer which can be optimized for specific DAWs/computers on a global scale.

hope some of this was helpful.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:50 am

^co-sign. i do listen back and forth between timed and freqd. usually i end up going with the developer's settings except in the rare cases in which the authentic sound of the hardware is a bit less of a concern. timed mode often sounds "better" (subjectively speaking), but 3rd party developers have respectively indicated their recommendations for specific programs and libraries...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Thierr7 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:27 am

IMHO , "Old" librarys , like first CDS , AlexB etc... usualy benefit from going to Timed and rising them because , at the time , computers weren't that powerful , so , devs played it "safe" on the cpu's . Nowadays , Libs are optimized to work with given settings ,and tweaking them , most of the time , doesn't work ... For me at least !
Thierr7

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:58 pm

very interesting topic :)

any settings you prefer for reverbs guys

even buffer size

is it many variations for settings here as well

old reverb libs vs newer libs ?

Thanks
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:01 am

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:very interesting topic :)

any settings you prefer for reverbs guys

even buffer size

is it many variations for settings here as well

old reverb libs vs newer libs ?

Thanks

Hi ,

- I find , especially long Reverbs very cpu hungry even with pre latest PC configs !

- I usually have to raise the Neb's internal DSP buffers to 2048 at least to be able to mix in real time ...

- So , I don't go for timed for that purpose ... It would probably sound better i reckon but my machine (I7 4770K @ 4.1) wouldn't manage such a charge :(

- A little bit out of topic but important nevertheless ; I think it's better to render some tracks even if your machine can handle plenty of Nebs and Acqua's in real time , you can easily have problems with Gain Staging and phase issues ... so , it's safer to render when it comes to deal with long chains of instances per track and let whatever is on your Master bus in real time .
Thierr7

Return to Working with Nebula