Login

Mixing with Nebula Alex B S!L 4000 and UAD 4000 Strip

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Mixing with Nebula Alex B S!L 4000 and UAD 4000 Strip

Postby SOUTHmixer » Mon May 23, 2016 6:12 pm

I will be purchasing Nebula with some Alex B 4K programs next month. Does anybody know what will happen if I combine his programs with the UAD S*L plugins? Will this affect the sound in a negative or positive way?
SOUTHmixer
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Mixing with Nebula Alex B S!L 4000 and UAD 4000 Strip

Postby keedie » Mon May 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Only speaking for myself, I purchased Alex B's S*L 4k console and dynamics first before the eq set. I do not own any UAD plugs so I can't speak in regards to them, but if this is any consolation to your situation. I was given three rock songs to mix tracked through a F*******e interface I believe, all consisted of drums, bass and electric guitar with some midi percussion and a few samples delivered in 44.1k wav files.
I used Alex's console and dynamic sets on all channels and busses plus DMG's Equilibrium as my EQ of choice,it is precise and clean for the most part. All I can say that I was thoroughly surprised by the results. I got that mid centric sound that S*L is known for using Equilibrium's 4k presets. I was happy that the weight of console and dynamics still shined like expected. I have many hours on S*L's, in particular the 4000 G+. Although its preamp, EQ and filter section have never been my faves in regards mojo. I think you could possibly get away with achieving a decent S*L sound using UAD, but the cost will be a less euphonic/open sound-stage using their algo. Like I said earlier, Equilibrium was kinda a happy accident especially after tweaking the DSP and window shape parameters a bit. The client was happy with the mixes which is all that matters to me. Later, I picked the EQ set since I had the money and the world came together.

I am very curious about this as well, please post your findings using UAD with Alex B. if you decide to purchase them.
Nebula 3 Pro Server, Amethyst, Sand, Coral, Lime, Ivory, Titanium 2, Pink Strip Bundle, Emerald, Navy, Gold, H.O., Tim P., Alex B., Cupwise, Gemini, Gene Lennon and CD Soundmaster.
keedie
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Mixing with Nebula Alex B S!L 4000 and UAD 4000 Strip

Postby dhatadi » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:37 am

I've had good success using AlexB programs for colour, and UAD plugins for control. Specifically, the UAD S*L E channel strip and G bus compressor. Combine that with AlexB 4KC consoles and 4KD dynamics (with threshold set to max), and you get the best of both worlds -- easy control and great colour!
dhatadi
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula