Login

Favorite Mixbuss Compressor

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Favorite Mixbuss Compressor

Postby markgalup » Mon May 16, 2016 1:12 am

Hey folks,

As it stands as of right now, what is your favorite mixbuss comp? I've been loving and using Alexb's Fenix Red as a mastering comp post mixbuss comp, but I'm planning to sub out my hardware mix buss comp for a nebula library/acqua. I've never tried Alexb's 4K G comp and I'm thinking it might be magical due to what I've read. I am also feeling like perhaps Flucti-Mew and C660 might be too colorful to mix through, though I certainly don't mind color... I don't have Murano but I sure want it once it's fixed. Also, I recently bought Titanium in hopes that it would be ace on the mixbuss but something about it seems not just right yet, especially on the low end, or perhaps a tube multiband on mixbuss is just not my thing.

Thoughts?

MG
Mark Galup
Producer/Engineer/Mixer/Mastering Engineer
ReelRecording.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Acustica Audio Dealer for the USA
markgalup

Re: Favorite Mixbuss Compressor

Postby drezz » Mon May 16, 2016 2:47 pm

Well, having used both the Flucti-Mu and Cupwise 660 comps, i must say i still prefer the Fenix Red on mixbuss. The Ultramarine has a certain magic though, but on selected material i find. The pre amp on that thing is goodness..........and the stereo & mid/side possibilities are fantastic.......subtle goes a very long way with this comp. It's fantastic as it is if used subtly, things are going to be quite interesting now the tech is developing and we see new Murano and Ultramarine and others, but some awesome sonics are available right here right now for sure too............... :D
drezz

Postby ryancost » Mon May 16, 2016 3:21 pm

I agree Fenix is awesome, check out Alexb Chandly too. Fluctimew can be very nice on some things with HPF
ryancost
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Brian » Mon May 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Try Alex's G or Chandly comp into the Fenix. G more for glue or Chandly more for color.

I sometimes use The Glue or MJUC mkIII before Fenix too if the Nebula libraries aren't reacting right to the mix.

Murano2 with correct timing and envelope behavior will probably be outstanding @ 1.2:1 or 2:1 setting, with 10 - 30 ms attack and 100ms or dual release...feeding into the Fenix of course.

I've also never been able to make multiband work out on the mixbuss, although they can be great in parallel there to add density or excitement to different ranges.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby markgalup » Mon May 16, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks for the input so far! Got the AlexB 4K G and used it on a mix this morning. Seriously interesting analog good sounding...

I find that running that into the Fenix I really don't like the comps as much without the HPFs in on both of them. Seems like compressing mix low end is not quite nailed in what I've found.

EDIT: Fenix without HPF does sound killer, I was wrong :)
Mark Galup
ReelRecording.com

markgalup

Postby darren » Tue May 17, 2016 6:54 am

What made you change your mind about that low end?
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby markgalup » Tue May 17, 2016 8:01 am

darren wrote:What made you change your mind about that low end?

Using slow attack vs fast sounded much better. The fast attack which worked well on HPF comp was not jiving with low end. Could be the tech, more likely just my taste ;)
Mark Galup
ReelRecording.com

markgalup

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Wed May 18, 2016 6:17 pm

Im actually loving Pink on the master, and I do believe the original hardware created as a Buss compressor.
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com
THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Postby flipnaut » Wed May 18, 2016 9:03 pm

a 33609-Nevish-Clone from Aqua would be cool...
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Wed May 18, 2016 9:50 pm

Caribou compressor ?
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Next

Return to Working with Nebula