Login

Low Latency Nebula for tracking?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Low Latency Nebula for tracking?

Postby vib » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:46 am

Hi

I'm looking for ways to lower nebula 3 latency - I've tried changing PROG RATE, L TIMED, added <UP> 1 </UP> to the XML file, turned RATE S to 'ON', etc.
Nebula latency as reported on the DISK page remains at about 193 (samples?)
Reaper reports 256 samples plugin latency, audio buffer at 256
I'm using nebula3 x64 server 5.02

For tracking I'd like to speed up preamps, eqs, comps to work at 64 samples

Anyone getting speeds like that?
vib
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Low Latency Nebula for tracking?

Postby richie43 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:01 am

I may get blasted for this, but I think that while I have heard of a few (very very few) people tracking in real-time with speaker cabs, I have not heard of much luck with low latencies for bigger presets like preamps, consoles, etc. While I can see how cool it would be, Nebula's strengths are the awesome tone and depth it imparts to audio, but low latency is not one of it's strengths. I find it much easier to not waste time trying to achieve this and just get my tracking done and apply Nebula after when I can raise my buffer settings. Even if you are able to figure out how to track with Nebula, I would imagine that the number of Nebula instances you will be able to use will be much lower than the numbers at higher buffer settings. Just curious; why do you need to track with it when it is so much easier to track without and add later? I'm not questioning your logic, I am just wanting to understand the process. Plus, if I am wrong and it is possible, I would love to see how!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby marcpinol » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:49 pm

richie43 wrote:I find it much easier to not waste time trying to achieve this and just get my tracking done and apply Nebula after when I can raise my buffer settings

+1

Sometimes I track a little of real-time audio at the beginning of a project (cabinets, some compression; never pres, consoles, tapes or reverbs), but obviously is impossible at the moment to do that with a full loaded project, even with an eight core CPU. The best thing I learned since I'm with Nebula is that the most important thing is to finish your song first (even if it's not sounding amazing, it just has to sound right), export stems or bounce and then work in the mix (old school style!). If it sounds right before Nebula, after Nebula most probably will sound nuts.

Since I began to work this way I haven't re-recorded anything and I'm mixing faster than ever.
marcpinol
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby richie43 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:55 pm

++ to marcpinol!

Exactly what I was getting at.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester