Login

DAWs sound different ?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: DAWs sound different ?

Postby eaccin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:25 pm

I tried Samplitude last night, even did a fresh install of windows 10 to run it. Played around for some time and realised it's not the DAW for me at the moment. This whole "sounding better" thing seems to be very subjective but even if it does sound "superior" in a loaded mix environment I don't think it's a difference that will make me change directions. Being a mac user I'd rather keep what I'm accustomed to and maybe get something like wavelab 9 when it's out for mastering duties. I think we're all after the perfect DAW, the perfect plugins. Well, there's no such a thing. When it comes to technology opinions and state of mind have to change along with it, so learn what best suits your workflow and makes you sound best. :)
eaccin
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Sure, so many things are important in the process of deciding your DAW : price, stability, efficiency, policy of the company, sound, workflow, etc...
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby aatigre » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:45 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experience in that topic.
Usually in other forums this is the kind of subject that ends in an ego fight and i have hope this is not going to happen here.
I dont expect to get opinions to support my own one. In fact i'm mostly confused about it since i dont know much about the internal guts of computers.
To add something more, regarding the use of vst (95% nebula), i noticed that Samplitude eats much more cpu handling vst than Reaper.
So, is Reaper better coded or is that Samplitude handles VSTs with more care?
aatigre
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:01 am

aatigre wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experience in that topic.
Usually in other forums this is the kind of subject that ends in an ego fight and i have hope this is not going to happen here.
I dont expect to get opinions to support my own one. In fact i'm mostly confused about it since i dont know much about the internal guts of computers.
To add something more, regarding the use of vst (95% nebula), i noticed that Samplitude eats much more cpu handling vst than Reaper.
So, is Reaper better coded or is that Samplitude handles VSTs with more care?

What I can say is that Samplitude is much older than Reaper. So I think it needs a good refresh. They were ahead of their time in the 2000s, but the competition improved faster than them, and caught up. Reaper can have been coded in a way more adapted to the existing products and computers when it got created. Right now, the differences seem smaller between DAWs than a decade ago. I personnaly would have stuck with Protools, that I started with, if the horrible company policy, and the lack of efficiency on Windows were not that bad. The windows side got much better, but the company policy is more and more disgusting. So 5 years ago, I tried them all, and found Samplitude to work the best and sound the best to me. But like I said, differences get smaller and smaller. I wouldn't want to try them all again...
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby namooz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:18 am

Interesting……….in my opinion, there are so many variables involved in arriving to a final mix down with Nebula plugins (in my case, Nebula, console to hardware and back via inserts) that it may prove to be a mountain of work setting up just two comparisons………..gain staging from source to final track tweak. Those variables are enough in just one project, song, that some small variations that are impossible to avoid, would end up influencing the final outcome anyway. The test would null out; i.e. meter accuracy, console meter lag, RMS meter peak lights, Nebula peak meters, console gain out/in, hardware same, ear fatigue etc, etc. I'm happy with Reaper and hope you all can find your home and focus on making music. Cheers.
namooz
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:31 am

I have never done any tests in regards to the way the summing is done in different DAW. But I am happy to stick my head out there and say that different software sounds different when it comes to playback. And by that I mean the playback, not summing. I would bet money that in a blind AB test (on my personal system) I will guess 10 out of 10 times if something is played in iTunes of iZotope RX. This is super obvious with stuff recorded at sample rates higher than 44kHz (iTunes does internal SRC, so there you go), but it is noticeable even with 44kHz sources. I am also sure that if you record the output of your interface from one and the other the differences will be measurable (haven't done it though). I am very certain that I hear a smaller but similar difference when I move projects from Logic Pro 9 to Pro Tools 12 HD. I am not saying that after bounce the mixes will sound different (this I cannot comment on), again, I am talking playback.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/
Sheikyearbouti

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:21 am

this is still interesting

i would have guessed its not very noticeble what ever daw you use

but maybe we mix a little different in another DAW compared to another one

i dont really know to be honest

to me they feel the same when mixing soundvice : Studio one, Pro tools, Logic, Reaper
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby namooz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:22 am

Sheikyearbouti wrote:I have never done any tests in regards to the way the summing is done in different DAW. But I am happy to stick my head out there and say that different software sounds different when it comes to playback. And by that I mean the playback, not summing. I would bet money that in a blind AB test (on my personal system) I will guess 10 out of 10 times if something is played in iTunes of iZotope RX. This is super obvious with stuff recorded at sample rates higher than 44kHz (iTunes does internal SRC, so there you go), but it is noticeable even with 44kHz sources. I am also sure that if you record the output of your interface from one and the other the differences will be measurable (haven't done it though). I am very certain that I hear a smaller but similar difference when I move projects from Logic Pro 9 to Pro Tools 12 HD. I am not saying that after bounce the mixes will sound different (this I cannot comment on), again, I am talking playback.

Cool. I use Reaper like a tape recorder. I only go back in for the stereo master. With the gear I use, it would be confusing enough to reinsert, though I do have the extra channels. The 2nd biggest jump in quality for me was the -18dbfs thing (after I discovered Nebula/Acqua 1st).
namooz
User Level VI
User Level VI

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula