Login

DAWs sound different ?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: DAWs sound different ?

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:12 pm

i don't remember hearing any difference between Reaper , Logic, pro tools or studio one

i still don't believe that DAW`s sounds different unless there is some sort of emulation going on in the background in the DAW itself

a wave file is a wave file

zeroes and ones is zeroes and ones

no one have proof to back this up
one DAW actually making 0 and 1 sound better than the other DAW with just the same information

it's just like a U.F.O hehe
some believe most don't

im not a believer in this theory
so im gonna try Samplitude when i get my win computer
so i can hear for myself
i do not doubt its a great DAW but better sounding than all other DAW`s nah :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby flipnaut » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:01 am

...another plugin or microphone can give more sound or tone than a different daw. If there are differencies they are incredible subtile.
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby aatigre » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:38 am

flipnaut wrote:...another plugin or microphone can give more sound or tone than a different daw. If there are differencies they are incredible subtile.

Sure! even a small change in the mic position changes sound more obvious thant a change of Daw. I think we all know that.
jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:i don't remember hearing any difference between Reaper , Logic, pro tools or studio one

i still don't believe that DAW`s sounds different unless there is some sort of emulation going on in the background in the DAW itself

a wave file is a wave file

zeroes and ones is zeroes and ones

no one have proof to back this up
one DAW actually making 0 and 1 sound better than the other DAW with just the same information

it's just like a U.F.O hehe
some believe most don't

im not a believer in this theory
so im gonna try Samplitude when i get my win computer
so i can hear for myself
i do not doubt its a great DAW but better sounding than all other DAW`s nah :)

From my experience all Daws make no difference when tracking.
And make no difference when only pan or volume settings are affected.
What bugs me is that things start to change when vst are applied.
Im not sure, as i said before if Reaper sounds better than Samplitude or the other way around. For some reason they seem to handle vst differently.
aatigre
User Level II
User Level II

Postby SteDal » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:09 am

dpclarkson wrote:Oh no!! Can this topic move to a different location,
GS for instance? :shock: :?

:D

I know *exactly* what you mean...

But I had two reasons in mind when I suggested to open here a new thread about this:

1 - the original thread was about Amethyst, so this subject was quite off-topic there;

2 - maybe I'm naive, but I believe that maybe here we can talk about this thorny matter without building fences, just for the interest of science... No pseudo-religious opinions allowed, thanks!

I, for one, am quite skeptical about any differences in the way DAWs sum audio, but I understand that sometimes reality is more multifaceted than we think, even in the digital world, for that matter!

I've tried several times to compare the sum of many tracks done by different DAWs (namely Reaper, Nuendo, Samplitude, Live), and all other things being equal (levels, pan law, bit depth, no dither ecc.) the results always cancel out.

Side note - I still believe that if two signals cancel out completely (say, down to 120dB) they can be considered equal. Even the slightest difference in the phase domain gives a difference much greater than that.

On the other side, I've never thought about adding effects in my tests, and this could open up a completely different scenario. As soon as i have some spare time I'll do some other tests in this regard.

Of course, when adding effects one must be wary of any time varying effects (modulations, algo reverbs) or any effect that has some kind of randomization built in (BTW, does Nebula have this, too?).

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that a different mic in a different position is way more important than any kind of digital sum.
Different artists with different songs even more so...
;)
Win 10/64 - Intel i7-5820K - Intel i7-4510U - Reaper 5.29
SteDal
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RE301 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Interesting question,, I remember this subject coming up on a (now defunct) pro audio engineering forum many years ago and as I recall, the consensus was differences occur as soon as you do anything to alter the audio eg: change level, eq, add a plug in etc... it stands to reason every platform has it's own internal code / math in how it crunches the numbers....
RE301

Postby bictor » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:06 pm

RE301 wrote:Interesting question,, I remember this subject coming up on a (now defunct) pro audio engineering forum many years ago and as I recall, the consensus was differences occur as soon as you do anything to alter the audio eg: change level, eq, add a plug in etc... it stands to reason every platform has it's own internal code / math in how it crunches the numbers....

So at the end they are all sounding the same until you start to charge plugins, adjust channel gain, adjust channel pan... and there is when every daw have its own internal process (code/math) that will affect to the audio signal going trough the daw... been this the difference between one daw or another. This is my conclusion but i just really dont have any idea...
Sand, Navy, Honey, Pink, Purple, Mix, Curve, Emerald, White, Scarlet, Prime Comp II, Caribou, Pink Compressors, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
bictor
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Im guessing you are joking, as acquas Daw and sound is big part of, well sound :lol:
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Thierr7 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:28 pm

The differences exist when loading VST plugins i guess because : FX's in Samplitude defenatly sound more accurate than in any other Daw i tried so far , well , that's the feeling i got at least ...
Thierr7

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:03 pm

Thierr7 wrote:The differences exist when loading VST plugins i guess because : FX's in Samplitude defenatly sound more accurate than in any other Daw i tried so far , well , that's the feeling i got at least ...

I'm sure gonna give it a spin even I'm still a little sceptic
But It doesent hurt to try it
And for all i know maybe i love the workflow too :)

How well optimized is samplutude compared to Reaper with the Acquas and how good is the freeze function compared to Reaper ? :)

Thanks
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby DeNto » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:55 pm

And I also think that it makes no sense to discuss it here.
As already mentioned, strongly different experiences come together here.
What I mean is the following.
If you ask some people if there is a difference between Navy and the FG73 on lets say gearslutz the thread history will be absolutely the same because strongly different experiences come together.
One will say this one is better, the other will say NO the other one is better. And a third one will say no you are all wrong they are the same and then again an other will say bla bla bla i don´t even care...
The most opinions will not be based on own experiences.
So Guys get your own opinion and check it yourself.

Best regards
Aquamarine, Murano, EQP1, Green, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Titanium, Trinity Eq, Ochre, Red, Amethyst.F*******e,SPL, Drawmer,N*****n KH 310a
DeNto
User Level IX
User Level IX

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula