Login

DAWs sound different ?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

DAWs sound different ?

Postby aatigre » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:54 am

Some people are discussing in the Amethyst thread about DAW audio engines.
As user Stedal suggests, i think it would be nice to open a new forum thread to share opinions.

I think we should focus only in the audio engine and how vst integration is done. I hope we manage to skip other specific elements of different Daws related to usability and discuss only about audio engines.

I have done many tests myself between Reaper and Samplitude, and once Panlaws are equaled, maintaining same volume and pan settings, both sound exactly the same. That means they totally null.
But when i start adding vst effects things start to change and they dont null.
If i use some hardware as an external effect they dont null.

For me, between Reaper and Samplitude, its not clear which sounds best.
Althought in the case of integrating external hardware effects Samplitude seems to sound more detailed.
aatigre
User Level II
User Level II

Re: DAWs sound different ?

Postby bictor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:25 am

Nice, I was also wondering of this when i read in Amethyst thread.

Im in Logic X, sounds really nice but i think that this two other daws that you are talking about could sound better... will be nice to know how much better.

I was interested in Samplitude but im a mac user so i cant run this daw... If you compare the prices of diferent daws it "says" something.

I like logic, and ive been years working with it... but is very inestable with Acqua technology and i have many crashes. Is a little bit difficult working like this and i dont know what i will do finally... im really really happy with convolution tech, just changed my life in a 180 but as i said, is not nice working with so many crashes, and i am in an i7 skylake imac. Dont know if maybe this is happening for the last osx "El Capitan" wich AA told me that they arent supporting this osx atm.

Could you upload some of this test you did? it will be very interesting for our ears. I would like to compare Reaper with Logic, and also to hear Samplitudes one. I could run bootcamp in my mac to work with samplitude but dont know how this will be.

Best regards,
Sand, Navy, Honey, Pink, Purple, Mix, Curve, Emerald, White, Scarlet, Prime Comp II, Caribou, Pink Compressors, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
bictor
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:17 pm

integrating external hardware effects

How is delay compensation handled when sending out to external units ?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby aatigre » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:22 pm

RJHollins wrote:
integrating external hardware effects

How is delay compensation handled when sending out to external units ?

I have to check, but i guess it makes no difference since the hardware external inserts are only placed in the Master Bus.
Maybe i'm wrong and even in this case different delay compensation makes a difference? I know if i was using external hardware effects on tracks or bus groups it will make a difference.
aatigre
User Level II
User Level II

Postby aatigre » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:35 pm

bictor wrote:Nice, I was also wondering of this when i read in Amethyst thread.

Im in Logic X, sounds really nice but i think that this two other daws that you are talking about could sound better... will be nice to know how much better.

I was interested in Samplitude but im a mac user so i cant run this daw... If you compare the prices of diferent daws it "says" something.

I like logic, and ive been years working with it... but is very inestable with Acqua technology and i have many crashes. Is a little bit difficult working like this and i dont know what i will do finally... im really really happy with convolution tech, just changed my life in a 180 but as i said, is not nice working with so many crashes, and i am in an i7 skylake imac. Dont know if maybe this is happening for the last osx "El Capitan" wich AA told me that they arent supporting this osx atm.

Could you upload some of this test you did? it will be very interesting for our ears. I would like to compare Reaper with Logic, and also to hear Samplitudes one. I could run bootcamp in my mac to work with samplitude but dont know how this will be.

Best regards,

bictor, I' afraid i cannot share these tests with the forum. It's clients stuff!
I would like to read about others people opinion in the audio engine matter.
Since we are in Nebula forum, how different (if at all!) sounds Nebula plugins in different Daws.
Since Reaper is fully functionally even if you dont buy a license, you can try it and check how it sounds related to Logic.
In the case of Samplitude is very easy to compare to Reaper since Reaper has EDL export function, so you can open a project recorded in Reaper and would be the same in terms of tracks, volume and pan.
Samplitude has a 1 month demo.
by the way, Samplitude has the same audio engine as Sequoia, that costs a few times more than Samplitude. I think difference prices in daws are not so related to the audio engine. but thats another topic!
aatigre
User Level II
User Level II

Postby dpclarkson » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:29 pm

Oh no!! Can this topic move to a different location,
GS for instance? :shock: :?
dpclarkson

Postby bictor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi aatigre, i can understand it, will test Reaper and maybe also Samplitude... not sure because about boot camp. Anyone here running Samplitude in mac? working fine with acqua...? I will have to download acqua plugins again but now in windows format? :roll: will see... but i really don't want to move from Logic X, i like it, its simple, its logic.

What a f*+ dilemma... :mrgreen: :| :geek: :arrow:
Sand, Navy, Honey, Pink, Purple, Mix, Curve, Emerald, White, Scarlet, Prime Comp II, Caribou, Pink Compressors, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
bictor
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:27 pm

bictor wrote:Hi aatigre, i can understand it, will test Reaper and maybe also Samplitude... not sure because about boot camp. Anyone here running Samplitude in mac? working fine with acqua...? I will have to download acqua plugins again but now in windows format? :roll: will see... but i really don't want to move from Logic X, i like it, its simple, its logic.

What a f*+ dilemma... :mrgreen: :| :geek: :arrow:

I use Sequoia/Samplitude on a mac pro black and on a "real" PC, and the performances are the same. No worries on that side.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby bictor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:32 pm

Cool :) nice to know it. Also with boot camp?

Cheers
bictor
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:57 pm

You will see once this baby is finished who will have the best DAW but me!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (6.34 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Next

Return to Working with Nebula