Login

Getting a decent bass guitar sound recorded DI.

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Getting a decent bass guitar sound recorded DI.

Postby beingmf3 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:21 pm

Brian wrote:Also never underestimate how much saturation or high mids you can add to a bass in a busy mix. Tweak these in context with everything playing - it may sound hideous when soloed, but sometimes it really takes a lot of mangling to make bass cut through on smaller speakers.

I may add: even top end (like 8k) if the source allows!
beingmf3

Postby namooz » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:06 pm

If I may suggest which was alluded to earlier that you run a separate line as well to a cab and record 2 tracks, or copy the track (sorry if this is redundant). Don't be afraid to cut/boost the hell out of the DI track. Take drastic examples cutting moderately narrow in octaves up from your lowest note (sub), maybe not. You can reduce the boosts and cuts from here. Keep and eye on your rms meter and try to go for even peaks (signal) across the board. Once the DI signal has hit my outboard comp, it's hovering around Odbu through all the notes after tweaking. When you arrive here, your not going to do much better……maybe experiment with narrow bumps from 300-600 hz and attack and release settings and to get the track (s) to stand a little more up front. Often, engineers will boost 1k a lot or a little. The natural tone of the instrument will, of course be the most dominant factor-don't try to change its natural sound. I have a '77 Olympic white Precision-original, and it has a tremendous bottom end. It took me a while to figure it out. The direct will probably have more sub than the cab. Work with the DI source first, then slowly add in the cab source and try to get a smooth, obvious distortion here in the cab track. Blend. I've found the greatest variations in bass guitars. I push my bass through a SC72 pre to the point of growling a lot after it is recorded-keeping the line level low. Sometimes they slip right in and others you have to really work to get that elastic though tight sound. Just my opinion-best of luck.
namooz
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:21 am

are you all using these bass chains without using a bass amp software before you hit Nebula ? :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby namooz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am

I'm a songwriter, though at times i will record the bands that I like working with. I don't use any plugins going in-I have separate pre's and outboard that I can use and not worry about latency (my system is not capable of loading a bunch of Nebula plugins without sacrificing something.

I've included a Reaper parametric attachment to show you the setting I use along with some other "color' options-this is on the '77 Precision. I'm old school if you haven't noticed. This plugin follows 1 or 2 Nebula or Acqua plugins. I rarely use anything but Acoustica-but I will follow it with an algo when really surgical is necessary (not that Nebula couldn't do it, I can't afford it right now).
Attachments
eq bass.png
namooz
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby dafeda » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:55 pm

Brian wrote:+1 for the Sum100a library on bass. Opto 3a is nice as well. They both seem to handle lows and have an envelope that behaves more predictably than many other Nebula libraries (similar to HW or other plugin compressors when going into deeper gain reduction).

The Opto 3a will probably accentuate the mids a bit more, while the Sum may enhance the weight and low end.

Start experimenting with the free preamps you have with the HO bundle first. I've always had good luck with Helios or N**e style preamps on bass.

TimP's 1102 EQ is great too, as it has a very bass-friendly driven preamp program as well as a massive sounding low shelf boost. Try a huge boost at 60 or 110 and either a 360 mid cut to tame wooliness or a 700/1.6k boost for wood tone or definition.

Lastly - as a general production technique, it often works well to use an aggressively treated DI (think heavy compression and EQ boosting for a tight and very stable low end) with a parallel signal running through an amp or amp sim for the attitude and midrange presence. Filter the lows out of the amp track and balance the two channels as desired. Good luck!

Also never underestimate how much saturation or high mids you can add to a bass in a busy mix. Tweak these in context with everything playing - it may sound hideous when soloed, but sometimes it really takes a lot of mangling to make bass cut through on smaller speakers.

Great response! I'll stick to the libraries I own for a while, so thanks for the HO-suggestions. I've read in several places that blending the DI-track with the amped track is a good idea. Didn't know that the DI track "should" be heavily compressed and eq'd. Got lots of new things to try out!
dafeda
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:49 pm

dafeda wrote:Didn't know that the DI track "should" be heavily compressed and eq'd. Got lots of new things to try out!

Didn't mean to imply there are any rules - just works well in my experience. DI tracks, if recorded with spare headroom and without compression, tend to have more dynamic range and potential spikes in level. Amps have a way of slightly leveling things out, even more so if they are saturating or distorting. In these cases the DI can be processed a lot more to help the two channels blend together for your ideal sound.

Anyway have fun experimenting, and if you haven't done so already, take plenty of time to experiment with changing strings, pickups, playing style, etc.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby beingmf3 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Brian wrote:...

TimP's 1102 EQ is great too, as it has a very bass-friendly driven preamp program as well as a massive sounding low shelf boost. Try a huge boost at 60 or 110 and either a 360 mid cut to tame wooliness or a 700/1.6k boost for wood tone or definition.

I've never had any success in cutting the 360 band, with any bass, to be honest. While it might sound pleasing solo'd, it never worked in the context of a mix. But YMMV.

EDIT: In this very moment I'm using the AIR "Open Diffuse Focus" (12 or max!) on a wooly semiacoustic bass. WTF :shock: :lol: Great!
beingmf3

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:14 pm

beingmf3 wrote:I've never had any success in cutting the 360 band, with any bass, to be honest. While it might sound pleasing solo'd, it never worked in the context of a mix. But YMMV.

EDIT: In this very moment I'm using the AIR "Open Diffuse Focus" (12 or max!) on a wooly semiacoustic bass. WTF :shock: :lol: Great!

For me the key is just taking a very small amount out, and that's after big low shelf boosts which reach into the 300s and above. Then again, sure it depends on the kind of song and sounds. Sometimes boosting 300 keeps it full in the mix, or even doing phase rotation around that frequency (I use SlickEQ GE for that, works well!).

Interesting to crank the Clari on a bass, never tried that..thanks for the idea!
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby beingmf3 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Brian wrote:Interesting to crank the Clari on a bass, never tried that..thanks for the idea!

Even more interesting: it works so well that it's the only EQ on the bass for now (Open Diffuse and Presence)!
beingmf3

Postby dafeda » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:09 am

beingmf3 wrote:I've never had any success in cutting the 360 band, with any bass, to be honest. While it might sound pleasing solo'd, it never worked in the context of a mix. But YMMV.

Never thought of trying AIR on bass, thanks!
dafeda
User Level I
User Level I

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula