Login

Nebula Upper Audio Limit

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula Upper Audio Limit

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Seeing that there is a limit to how hard you can push Nebula before getting the ringing sound, is it possible to simply have the software clip similar to an analog to digital converter would on the way in the box.

At the least let this be an option to turn on in the settings/xml file.

Just a thought anyway and perhaps there are things in this suggestion im not seeing, feel free to comment in regards.
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com
THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Nebula Upper Audio Limit

Postby giancarlo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:27 am

We planned a clipper, but it doesn't change the basic concept: when you hear the ring you are beyond the engine limit. It is a further warning
A clipper could be useful for many other things, but it masks a garbage, and it should be used on transients only otherwise it degrades the signal
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:18 am

I wonder, is it possible to get close to the clipping behavior of preamps now with the improvements in program rate and envelope sampling? They can sound drastically different when approaching and then going deep into clipping.

Honestly one of the best parts of mixing on an analog console is saturating channels or pushing things very hard into the master buss, which manages transients in a nice way. For rock or electronic genres, it's really useful and fun to mix this way.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Postby dpclarkson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Honestly one of the best parts of mixing on an analog console is saturating channels or pushing things very hard into the master buss, which manages transients in a nice way

This. :roll:
dpclarkson

Postby RE301 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Slamming levels on an analogue desk doesn't necessarily mean sonic nirvana though as pushing the master buss hard can also = 'poo' :-0

Analogue desks tend to have a kind of 'window' to them on their internal gain structure & mix buss especially, as to how they behave with levels / balances, that the user can find through experimentation..some being more forgiving than others..

Having said that, I used to get some GREAT distortion (when desired) that I really liked on certain sources by overdriving the channel strip input of a certain desk.. #;-)

On another note - a engineer known for quite 'extreme' wild mixes, (Jamaican dub legend) SCIENTIST, has gone on record saying he used to have the VU meters barely moving when he mixed on the A*I 1604 at Channel One Studio 'back in the day'.. presumably he was talking about mixes he did there such as for various producers and not his wilder dub mixes such as at King Tubby studio...

Here's an example of one of his super slammin' Channel One mixes like a boxer's one-two punch on the A*I from 1981 - with supposedly non-slammed desk levels....

Nicodemus - Boneman Connection...a classic track lesson in both anatomy & drum SMASH :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnfBYoL1FpA

(35 years later those crazy reverb shots still impress me :-0 )
RE301

Postby RE301 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:46 pm

As Nebula is, as I understand it, a convolution player (a highly advanced one) - what you guys are looking for (behavior like an analogue desk when levels pushed) is, I assume, not possible unless a developer were to do their sweeps in NAT increasing input levels all the way up to <STUN> and <PULVERIZE> (?)...

Maybe there's someone who would like do that sometime (Nebula library with channel inputs and mix bus pushed to extreme levels, even input distortion)..? Would such a thing even work?
RE301

Postby Brian » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:26 pm

RE301 wrote:Slamming levels on an analogue desk doesn't necessarily mean sonic nirvana though as pushing the master buss hard can also = 'poo' :-0

Analogue desks tend to have a kind of 'window' to them on their internal gain structure & mix buss especially, as to how they behave with levels / balances, that the user can find through experimentation..some being more forgiving than others..

Having said that, I used to get some GREAT distortion (when desired) that I really liked on certain sources by overdriving the channel strip input of a certain desk.. #;-)

Of course, it's just a very effective option to have and very intuitive to work this way (no latency, no tweaking plugins, getting hands on faders and pushing them or using VCAs to land groups quickly into that sweet spot.)

On a 4k desk, you can have pretty much any channel with percussive envelopes or sharp transients periodically triggering the channel clip lights without things turning to crap, even if you're using aggressive EQ boosting. I got in the habit of hitting the master bus so it would hover around 0dbVU but slam against +3 during loud sections. It worked on the 6000/8000 desks too. Then I tried it on the 9000 J and it didn't sound as I expected. It farted a bit and low frequency stuff started choking things down. There's a definite point where things start to sound pinched or get smaller, especially when patching in the buss compressor. Wide panned stuff starts to close down. Right before that point is a very nice place though!

Apparently the 9000 K was much better with headroom and bass response when driven, but I've still never worked on one.

Great call on the Scientist mixes, too! I'll have to revisit "...Rids the World of the Evil Curse..." in the very near future.
Official dealer of Acustica Audio products in Taiwan.
Acustica Audio台灣授權經銷商
AcusticaSalesTW@gmail.com

Lynx Hilo | Win7 x64 | Reaper5 | PT12 | Ableton Live 9
Brian

Return to Working with Nebula