Login

Q: "mud" approach?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Q: "mud" approach?

Postby SteDal » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:54 am

Let me suggest to try also the brand new Amethyst for your Hi-Q cutting needs.

The two middle bands can reach a Q of 3.5. Ok, it's not 9, but it can be quite surgical, as well.

Definitely worth trying, IMHO.
Win 10/64 - Intel i7-5820K - Intel i7-4510U - Reaper 5.29
SteDal
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Thierr7 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:39 pm

I think "Nova" Freeware is a great tool for that purpose !
Thierr7

Postby beingmf3 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:27 pm

Sheikyearbouti wrote:I have this problem when working on an S*L G+ console. The Q goes only to 3 and it is very difficult to remove stuff.

That's exactly what I mean, yes. Cheers!
beingmf3

Postby beingmf3 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:24 pm

SteDal wrote:Let me suggest to try also the brand new Amethyst for your Hi-Q cutting needs.

The two middle bands can reach a Q of 3.5. Ok, it's not 9, but it can be quite surgical, as well.

It's a killer channel strip anyway, SteDal!!! A must buy.
beingmf3

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:00 am

When I think of a production I always think of its space-time and how to arrange the sounds in it. Obviously EQs and other phase distortions (hw colours or nebula preamps) puts you in the business.

But did you guys watch the latest SOS interview with Mandy Parnell? Fascinating... Mandy said something similar but from exactly the other (mastering) angle of things - she said that she looks at how to clean the space between the instruments in a mix.

She was also talking about how an EQ alters the phase of the track and how this changes the perception of space in the mix.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/
Sheikyearbouti

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:30 am

SteDal wrote:Let me suggest to try also the brand new Amethyst for your Hi-Q cutting needs.

time for a new home brew mud cleaner cut-EQ with Q up to 20? :D

If my maths is not wrong, with Q of 17.3 a peak set to a specific pitch should affect the semitone below and semitone above the selected frequency by half of the gain applied to the selected frequency.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
Sheikyearbouti

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:19 am

Sheikyearbouti wrote:What you describe is something I do a lot. Except that I still find HW or Nebula/Acqua EQs being better also for the cutting part. But often I need higher Q factor and fully variable frequency control for the cuts. I have this problem when working on an S*L G+ console. The Q goes only to 3 and it is very difficult to remove stuff. But even there with some gentle boost in the lows (shelf) and very gentle hi-Q peak cut in the mud region you could get good results. But it is just that some EQs are better for this duty. Some favs are the N**e VR (Q up to 9) and 88R EQs. I love how you can scoop out so much and still retain the integrity of the track. Other EQs like a Pultec or a 1073 are better for boosting the low end, not cutting, imho.

there is little talk about this
but acuas and nebula do cut much better than algos too
it's not only with boost these eq`s do very well , i almost never use algo eq`s anymore , just in early production,
when it's time to mix im using aqua and nebula only for eq`s, Ivory is absolutely fabulous for cutting
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:08 am

Exactly, and I think that it is because the Nebula/Acquas model correctly the phase of the HW. Try doing it with an algo linear-phase EQ (one that some comapnies advertise as "the most transparent"). You should hear the transients being complately damaged. It sounds extremely funny on a snare track if you try to remove some ringing. It's like a quiet ghost note happening before the drum actually hits.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
Sheikyearbouti

Postby beingmf3 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:44 pm

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:
Sheikyearbouti wrote:What you describe is something I do a lot. Except that I still find HW or Nebula/Acqua EQs being better also for the cutting part.

but acuas and nebula do cut much better than algos too
it's not only with boost these eq`s do very well , i almost never use algo eq`s anymore , just in early production,
when it's time to mix im using aqua and nebula only for eq`s, Ivory is absolutely fabulous for cutting

Hell - you're correct!!! Just EQ'd an overhead track with Amethyst, and it's a night and day difference! :o

THANKS!!!!
beingmf3

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:37 pm

Good to hear that. I haven't had time to play with Amethyst. I will do.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
Sheikyearbouti

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula