Login

WOW it needs an answer

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: WOW it needs an answer

Postby flipnaut » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:39 pm

Avgatzeblouz wrote:To me, this asks for another question. Who else is using Kernel Technology ? If Acustica is the only one, then Slate is crossing the line. Add to that, that the StudioOne new endorsements include stuff from Softube, Acustica, and... Slate. What a gang of arrogant jerks !

Regarding their plugins : most of them suck. They do exactly what FG says they don't at the begiining of the video: the raise the volume or the bass to make the user believe they sound good. At least all their youtube videos, and their console emulations do this. I installed the VMR demo when it came out, reading on Gearslutz how fantastic it was, a new breakthrough in digital world,etc... I had a real 1176 plugged on vocal. Took it out, plugged the Slate thing, to see. Laughed, uninstalled the piece of crap. I still use TimP U76 v2, and am impatient to hear v3 !

hmm nice... so you use a real 1176 and only plugin which comes next through the mix is the one from tim p? But is the release and attack behaviour also that fast compared? Agree for sure that slate is crap... but anyway VTM is not bad.... hmm well... i know some day i will get a hairball or warm audio 1176 too... so G. must be fast... because with the HW i will not get the Black :lol:
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:02 pm

When I did the test, I had not TimP U76 yet, and I did not do it again. I think it sounds different, I wouldn't even care to compare, because it just sounds good on its own. I did not find this about Slate 1176. For the record, I use Slate Trigger, it works very nice. Considering hardware, this guy from Poland (http://www.proreplicas.com/) just makes the best 1176 I came across, even though I did not try them all (what's the point, anyway ?). Warm Audio thing really made the sound smaller when I used it. Hairball is great, but The Poland guy uses better knobs, case, etc... Waiting for Black (hope it will have Blue Stripe, my fav hands down !) !!
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby botus99 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:41 pm

_ben wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq3NegtutXM

Humm i would never have figured that the response of a tape would have been a perfect square.
Anyway can you comment this?

The real answer is in what he says at 4:09
https://youtu.be/wq3NegtutXM?t=4m9s

He admitted to "highly saturating the algorithm." First off, I don't think Nebula is as much of an algorithm as it is a dynamic convolver (although that's still not even the most correct term to use). But that's semantics...

Back to the "highly saturating," I would bet good money that he simply put a sinewave at 0dbfs and ran it into Nebula. This is obviously WAAAAYYY too hot of a signal to use in Nebula, and that should be common knowledge to all users (much less a developer that bought Nebula programs to use as a comparison/guideline for their products!). It looks exactly like he pushed it past the the internal clipping threshold within Nebula. It reminds me of if some daft chef wanted to do a taste test between steaks and decided to grill one steak burnt to a crisp while making his with extreme care. Of course the competitor steak is gonna turn out bad in comparison!

All in all, it's an obviously bad example of Nebula technology (or a great example of misusing it, if you prefer) being used to make their competition look bad and make them look good. No big surprise there considering the obnoxiousness of Slate's advertising model as it is.

If this were the way Nebula really sounded (or at least the tapes), then we would all be complaining about it and never use it. The truth is that we know how to use it to get the best sounds possible, and that Slate/Fabrice chose not to use a fair representation of Nebula in an effort to make their product look superior.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby kindafishy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:10 pm

flipnaut wrote:well... i do not like their eqs. AA is a lot of better.
I feel the same about their original EQs in the VMR, but the Custom Series EQ and Lift are simply great EQs, and dare I say, on par with Nebula/Acqua quality in terms of sound, feel, depth and every other Nebulism you want to throw out there (IMO!). They are a pleasure to use. I don't like any of the other VMR modules at all though, including their EQs and compressors. Credit where credit is due though. The Custom Series plugins are excellent.

flipnaut wrote:So if AA will do tape i guess it could be better the vtm
I am a broken record here, but Nebula tape in Acqua style plugins can be found here and it is absolutely fantastic. Miles beyond VTM and useful as effects in addition to beautiful tape sound and behaviour -> http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... lugin.html

I'd recommend the bundle that includes R2R and Tape Booster Plus.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RE301 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:17 pm

I didn't watch through that whole YR clip, but quite honestly it felt like watching some kind of a satire / 'Expert Village' audio skit ...
RE301

Postby _ben » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:09 pm

kindafishy wrote:
I feel the same about their original EQs in the VMR, but the Custom Series EQ and Lift are simply great EQs, and dare I say, on par with Nebula/Acqua quality in terms of sound, feel, depth and every other Nebulism you want to throw out there (IMO!). They are a pleasure to use. I don't like any of the other VMR modules at all though, including their EQs and compressors. Credit where credit is due though. The Custom Series plugins are excellent.

And what about Air-Eq?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afxlldFFDZI
_ben
User Level V
User Level V

Postby _ben » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:10 pm

RE301 wrote:I didn't watch through that whole YR clip, but quite honestly it felt like watching some kind of a satire / 'Expert Village' audio skit ...

Yep but you can hear a difference, on a smaller bandwitdh.
Last edited by _ben on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
_ben
User Level V
User Level V

Postby kindafishy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:43 am

_ben wrote:
kindafishy wrote:

And what about Air-Eq?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afxlldFFDZI
Sorry ben, I don't have any experience with Air-Eq so I can't really give an opinion on it. It certainly has a good reputation.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:14 am

About the Slate Video posted, i do believe they were speaking about AA, so I paused the video before the inherent damaged signal and the waveform matched the so called original, i think they pushed it past the safe level on purpose to show that theirs is superior.

The VTM is cool but it doesn't sound like the tape I use from nebula, not sure if the claim they have (to sound like authentic tape)is legit or the tape i use in nebula is different, but Slates plugins(and i own a few including VTM) does not hold a candle to the sound of Nebula sampled hardware!
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com
THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:28 am

In such case my answer is valid ;)
Everybody knows what we do good and bad, there are tons of topics everywhere.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula