Login

WOW it needs an answer

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

WOW it needs an answer

Postby _ben » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:46 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq3NegtutXM

Humm i would never have figured that the response of a tape would have been a perfect square.
Anyway can you comment this?
_ben
User Level V
User Level V

Re: WOW it needs an answer

Postby giancarlo » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:43 pm

I don't know about which competitor is speaking about

Keep in mind nebula- when reaches overflow - could output a clear damaged waveform as warning of the existing overflow mode. Nebula tells about this overflow waaaaay before you hear this warning. After that I don't know what else to do (in the past audio was silenced but several customers were reporting it was "broken"))

About tapes and things in general, nebula is the only simulator which gives you the exact phase for all harmonics. In the previous tech we are not taking in account hard compression - only gentle one, like the one you have using tapes properly without overloading. We could do it now though, we'll put it in our pipeline

So: if you are looking for the instantaneus compression go for other products. If you are looking for the authentic "tape" tone in the "safe" region the answer is nebula. Which gives to you 1000 tapes, but just several ones ;)

About how authentic our tape tone is, just ask to our 3rd party developers. They sampled tapes and they compared. It is not just the usual one-man-band development and testing. In our case a lot of developers were involved in this double check and product validation.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby _ben » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:31 pm

I'm quite sure that there was something wrong in this video.
You should not let this thing like that IMO...Perhaps do your own tests of their blabla plugins. ;)
_ben
User Level V
User Level V

Postby flipnaut » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:19 pm

well... i do not like their eqs. AA is a lot of better. But the vtm is really not bad. i use it always on the drum bus. But it does not work for me on bass or on master... and the distortion i do not like from them - sounds for me too compressed / plastic. When i would use distortion i use the sknote distressor... or i guess also the devil loc by soundtoys is very good. So if AA will do tape i guess it could be better the vtm - and if i want distortion there are a lot of algo plugins which i can use to distortion... i will use the DIY Coliur 500 series for that btw ;) the vtm has something nice going on in the low end - sort of life or fluttering... do not know what it is - but i like what i adds.
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Postby DeNto » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Oh yeah...this Guy is a Genius
I like the Slate VMR too and i think the FG 116 is one of the best 1176 Emulations....and the only one which is better sounding is Stillwells Rocket! :lol:
Aquamarine, Murano, EQP1, Green, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Titanium, Trinity Eq, Ochre, Red, Amethyst.F*******e,SPL, Drawmer,N*****n KH 310a
DeNto
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:31 pm

No UAD has the best 1176 so far, much better behavior to me with the short attack times+3 different revision's
Fg-116 is good on long attack short release though

i hope acustica outclass them all with the black comp :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby davidgary73 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:56 pm

1 big plus for an Acqua Tape which offers machine from Studer, Ampex and Otari with diff tape.

As for 1176, i thought TimP U76 is the best :D
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Postby _ben » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:36 pm

DeNto wrote:Oh yeah...this Guy is a Genius
I like the Slate VMR too and i think the FG 116 is one of the best 1176 Emulations....and the only one which is better sounding is Stillwells Rocket! :lol:

Even in this video you can hear that the Far-Good 116 kills all the transients. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEoQCM0i6RQ

The guy said in a french interview that he was looking for a good engineer. Perhaps if he find one, in a couple of years they will release products that will match their claims and people will never know or remember. :mrgreen:
_ben
User Level V
User Level V

Postby DeNto » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:46 pm

jfjer379@gmail.com wrote:No UAD has the best 1176 so far, much better behavior to me with the short attack times+3 different revision's
Fg-116 is good on long attack short release though

i hope acustica outclass them all with the black comp :)

Jep i´m waiting too!

I don´t have UAD but recently i tested several 1176 emulations like Fg 116, Blacky, So*tube and T-*acks 76 and Stillwells Rocket and this was the best by far.
Aquamarine, Murano, EQP1, Green, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Titanium, Trinity Eq, Ochre, Red, Amethyst.F*******e,SPL, Drawmer,N*****n KH 310a
DeNto
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:56 pm

To me, this asks for another question. Who else is using Kernel Technology ? If Acustica is the only one, then Slate is crossing the line. Add to that, that the StudioOne new endorsements include stuff from Softube, Acustica, and... Slate. What a gang of arrogant jerks !

Regarding their plugins : most of them suck. They do exactly what FG says they don't at the begiining of the video: the raise the volume or the bass to make the user believe they sound good. At least all their youtube videos, and their console emulations do this. I installed the VMR demo when it came out, reading on Gearslutz how fantastic it was, a new breakthrough in digital world,etc... I had a real 1176 plugged on vocal. Took it out, plugged the Slate thing, to see. Laughed, uninstalled the piece of crap. I still use TimP U76 v2, and am impatient to hear v3 !
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Next

Return to Working with Nebula