Login

Rendering audio with Nebula presets

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Rendering audio with Nebula presets

Postby davidgary73 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:55 am

Good day mates,

Just wanted to ask what is the right way to render audio files with 3rd party Neb libs because most of my work are mixed in another studio.

Should i bounce every instruments with a setup like for example:

1) HO Tape to MFC Console Modern Mixbuss preset while group buss with MFC Console clean presets via the masterbuss

2) Every instruments with various preamp presets or MFC console line/mic input to Ho Tape, group buss with MFC Console clean presets and keep the masterbuss clean

3) Every instruments with various preamp presets or MFC console line/mic input to Ho Tape, group buss with MFC Console clean/designed presets and end with MFC Console Modern Mixbuss preset?

Cheers
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Re: Rendering audio with Nebula presets

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:22 pm

sorry i don't know the right answer mate,
but i would like to know this as well

anyone know whats the right approach to this ? :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby RE301 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:26 pm

The best guideline I ever heard in audio is the following: 'If it sounds right, it is right'
RE301

Postby davidgary73 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:46 am

So any insight into how we can do this?

In most cases, we agree that do what sounds right but a simple guide will help a whole lot more :)
davidgary73

Postby RE301 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Back in the 'old days' of recording the choices tended to be pretty simple, the choice of signal path was pretty much limited to the mics, one console & tape machine at hand - that was what you had to work with. So in that scenario you'd throw a mic on the source, get your levels, maybe a bit of eq, hit 'record' on the tape machine and move on....and then more or less the same in reverse for mixing (eg tape machine->console) ......obviously this is a simplification..

A drawback in these modern DAW times is an overwhelming amount of choices & possibilities, leading to cognitive overload & 'shutdown' of the mind :-) !

I would therefore suggest to try and simplify things & have some main standard / default 'go to' items in your virtual nebula 'signal path' that you know well in terms of the results / sound / how to work with and that make sense for what you are looking for sonically..

Mixing IMO is a task that requires all senses to be focused on what's going on & things that distract from this by diverting cognitive resources should be avoided (eg: trying endless combinations, scrolling through 100's of plugins etc) ..

In the old analog days of mixing from multitrack tape, the signal path would go something like this:

The simple version:

tape machine -> desk channel -> Mix/master buss out -> 2 track recorder

A more complex version:

tape machine -> (possible routing to outboard eq/compressor etc) -> desk channel -> (insert via patchbay - outboard eq/compressor etc ..or eq / compressor / gate built in the channel itself / fx sends) -> Subgroups (fx sends / possible eq/compression patched in)-> Mix/master buss out -> (possible eq / buss compression patched in)-> 2 track recorder

So it sounds to me like you are wanting to experiment with trying a 'virtual analogue' kind of path before you go and mix elsewhere.. so in that case I would suggest for your nebula preset bounce chain:

HO Tape -> MFC console line or mic channel (whichever sounds best..line makes more 'sense' though)

If there was a particular instrument you perhaps wanted to try using a mic pre to give the character of it having been recorded that way then I would suggest

Whatever mic pre -> HO Tape -> MFC console

Hope this helps!

(And, maybe you find a way that works better for your needs / the kind of sound you like!)
RE301

Postby davidgary73 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:34 pm

Thank RE301 so much for your insights and sharing your experience. This will indeed help us heaps ;)

I'll use as per what you have suggested with HO Tape -> MFC console line or mic channel as a chain bounce while to add extra character, i'll use the Mic pre -> HO Tape -> MFC console.

Thanks again and God Bless!! :D
davidgary73

Return to Working with Nebula