Login

N4

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: N4

Postby Thierr7 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Looks Great ! , but i only see 2 sliders ???
Thierr7

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:24 pm

So am I correct in the point of the rack/chain setup is to eliminate additional latency because the nebula instances within are all sharing the same engine?

If this is the case, is it possible to allow external vst effects as well to eliminate the need for an additional N4 rack which would negate its purpose? The external vst effects do not need there gui to appear in the rack, just the generic placeholder that calls the gui.
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com
THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:18 pm

first version to be released:
you will be able to load acqua plugins. No further things are allowed.

What to expect from first release:

- harmonized commercial libraries
- new skinning engine also for developers (and several libraries skinned, or they will be skinned soon)
- acqua plugins and nebula libraries are the same thing (I'm not sure acqua presets will retain values if you change them using the preset browser)
- you will be able to edit basic features in acqua plugins, because you can open acqua plugins using the standard nebula3 interface. For example you could modify the speedness of compressors editing the GLOB page of a particular instance

since nebula4 is very basic we are working now to
- a new preset browser, with search capabilities
- vst3 support (not sure it will be ready for the launch)
- stupid thing: midi channel support

This is exactly what to expect immediatly, we'll be more accurate as soon as we have new details.
Obviously things will improve further during next months
I want to be straight on several points:

- we'll not suggest you to move to nebula4 immediatly
- almost all new features starting from the release date will be implemented in nebula4
- during next months advantages will be more and more visible. We can do things which are not possible today

I know that you want "this", "that" or "these" things.
But nebula4 basically solves a conceptual issue, which is the difference between libraries, skinned libraries, acqua plugins. Starting from that point 3rd party developers could start releasing acqua plugins, we'll know more about it on next months. We'll sort even a training session both for sampling and library developement.

From the practical point of view: libraries with basic skins will be as much cheap as today. Nebula4 will load nebula3 libraries. Obvously a library like "amethyst" will be a bit more expensive, because it requires hard work. Everybody (also 3rd party developers) will learn that.

Last but not least: we are not here for solving a "nyrv agent" problem. There are things which nyrv agent cannot solve and things which nebula4 cannot solve alone in its first release. You can use nyrv, or bidule, or bluecat or whatever for nebula4 in the case. Anyway sooner or later we'll support routing and other things, like multi-channel and surround. Reason is simple: they are already implemented in nebula4, but not exposed outside, so it is a matter of time.

I hope this post answers ALL your questions :D
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:04 am

:oops: any discounts on smoking cigarettes? :shock:
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:33 am

since nebula4 is very basic we are working now to
- a new preset browser, with search capabilities
- vst3 support (not sure it will be ready for the launch)
- stupid thing: midi channel support

It's only stupid if its a half-ass implementation.

I'm in contact with Enrique to provide ANY info, details that I can.

If we start posting screen shots of most every 'algo' plug-ins MIDI configuration settings should the point be further made. I'd rather NOT.
The 'standards' should be support. We use it.

Nebula might better be thought of as a VSTi [Instrument], rather than a standard VST.

There are plenty of different uses for MIDI ... ask what guitarist use with their floor controller configuring amp presets. With MIDI, a series of NEBULA instances could begin to address realtime AMP configuration and control.
With an iPad, we can can WiFI MIDI data to our DAW and control from the coach.
Keyboardist can control Nebula directly from their MIDI keyboard.

These are some of the most basic ideas.

If a better, newer standard emerges ... then that should be implemented. If you really want, add the optional NRPN 14bit MSB LSB format if the current 128 steps is not fine enough. It works good enough I think.

With Neb-3, the biggest issue was OMNI mode. Having to always repeat [which I too am tired of], [CC] access to the main IN/OUT, and a [CC] for the soft bypass so we don't have to use a DAW's disconnect bypass, with latency recalculation screwing up playback.

You've already started it with Neb-3. Make it complete for all user controls.

Not everybody wants to be stuck using a mouse.

And, for those of us that use more than one DAW ... parameter modulation is there, sure ... but it has to be set every time for every project. MIDI is portable to anything that has it.

The commercial world places demands that may not be realized for those working only for themselves. Nebula and Acqua have surely improved to be usable in commercial settings ... that, plus more powerful computers. But there are workflow issues that still need to happen.
Sound is absolutely important. Workflow [or the hindrance thereof] can determine practicality. We too have BUDGETS to consider.

Let's do it, and do it right. alright :lol:

We give a hard time ... but it is out of LOVE :P
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:44 am

Yes, a very basic implementation
Like all other things we'll develop it further
My fear about midi is about the audience, it is used less and less in modern daws. They are replaced by parameters, which have a massive high resolution and better handling (names, labels, values mapped in real time...)
Anyway since the omni mode can be an issue for acqua and multi instance plugins, we are removing this limitation.

Meanwhile Enrique is collecting requests, so we can decide about priorities about next developments
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby RJHollins » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:20 am

Removing the OMNI limit is huge !

Beside parameter controls, the are other systems out there. EUCON, HUI, Mackie Control Protocols for example.

The issues there .... cross compatibility.

MIDI may be old and not the latest fancy, but we watch the battle in the '80s for the industry to force a standard. And that is the point. We all look to a better system, but we have a de-facto standard that establishes a compatible, portable communication protocol.

We see nothing in the AES Journals suggesting the end of MIDI. It's cost is marginal at this day and age.

I talk with many looking for the next level controllers to break the single mouse workflow.
Whether virtual or physical hardware. Things like feedback response [tactile] is one feature. It seems the industry is not confident to large scale invest into controllers with proprietary format. One has not established as the clear winner take all. Lets hope that happens in Our lifetime :shock:

If you really think we need the higher resolution, I sent Enrique the Public Domain source code that provides standard/Hi-rez protocol to cover compatibility.

That said, even with the standard 8-bit system, we have very good control.

Nebula-3 had the basics that needed some tweaking, along with adding [CC] controls to the few remaining user controls.

We can already do PRGCHG commands to call up a different PRESET.

I use this for every session I work with Neb-3. The work-arounds are an absolute PITA. But it can be made to work with additional support plugins.

I've also used 'parameter modulation'. Yes, it is a great DAW feature. But ... it is far from perfect. Not just operationally ... it is not portable, AND, it is difficult to create a template that works for every situation.

With my NVC controller and PlogueBIDULE, I can move from Reaper to WaveLAB to Samplitude to even VSTHost. MIDI still works. And if your gonna play a synth or drum trigger set into a VSTi ... EVERY DAW has MIDI [even PT]. The de-facto standard. Accept it, fully implement it, and lets move on to other important things. If something emerges as 'Industry Standard' that everyone includes, then something to consider adding.

Alright ... I got to get back to work myself.

In closing, let me publicly express my sincere thank-You to <G>. I know we can battle on ideas on concepts, and for everyone to know that this is the 'PASSION' that we have for NEBULA/ACQUA and the music. Yes ... it is the 'sonics'... and importantly, a smoother workflow keeps us from distraction from Our passion.
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby grabie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Enrique is collecting requests

numerical input
grabie
User Level IV
User Level IV