Login

Is this a good server for i7 host machine

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Is this a good server for i7 host machine

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:42 pm

Poweredge 2950, they are dirt cheap! Would like to grab a couple, throw em in a corner and load them up Nebula 3 Ultimate. But I'm unsure as to this being enough power to provide what Giancarlo states as 4x the power of the host machine.

One way I plan to use this is with a small Linux distribution running wine and only the needed components to run that and the network stack for pure nebula use.

Any thoughts?
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com
THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Is this a good server for i7 host machine

Postby RE301 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 pm

I too am very curious about these exact kinds of questions eg: decent used servers etc.. (!)..

It stands to reason there are people out there successfully using Neb server who have much expertise & insights about the platform...

What I have begun to think is, given the usual lack of responses & information about these kinds of requests, perhaps Nebula server users are operating at a much higher level of technical DIY know how and are able to easily navigate the territory with ease..

So maybe its like imagining people who are MIT robotics experts and someone comes along with a basic question like 'how to solder wires' & its just not interesting to even respond (!)... :)
RE301

Re: Is this a good server for i7 host machine

Postby THAPRODUCERZ » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Lol. I hope that's not the case. I have the technical know how to work with computers, I've built the one I have from scratch and have done so for at least 15 years, I'm just not familiar with the capabilities, computational wise between a server CPU and a general CPU such as an i7. I really would hate to purchase such a machine and it performs no better then the 4 other pcs I have lying around. I'm going to do so more personal research on the chipset and CPU and see if I can simply find some decent info that could tip the scales a bit on whether it's a good buy or shoot for something more powerful.

One thing I have found this far is the server machines can be noisy, really really noisy.
ITB: i7-4770 3.4ghz, 32GB Ram, Windows 10, Nebula 3 Server Ultimate,Protools 11, Cubase LE 8, Reaper 4, Flstudio 12, Komplete 10 ultimate,i also have a need for authentic analog tone

http://www.yishinyourear.com
THAPRODUCERZ
User Level X
User Level X

Return to Working with Nebula