Login

Nebula copy / piracy protection system?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula copy / piracy protection system?

Postby Dazzer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi all,

I don't yet own Nebula but am thinking about purchasing it.

Could anyone tell me what system of copy / piracy protection it uses?

I'll need to install Nebula on two computers. Imagine i need to re-install both computers a couple of times in the next couple of years, will i run out of authorizations?

Could someone please tell me the exact system Nebula uses (serial, iLok, online authorization, other?) and how strict the Acustica people are when you run out of authorizations.

I'd also be interested to know if there's a difference (in authorization method) between normal Nebula and the more expensive server version.

Many thanks! ......... D
Dazzer
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Nebula copy / piracy protection system?

Postby Support » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:12 pm

Dazzer wrote:Hi all,

I don't yet own Nebula but am thinking about purchasing it.

Could anyone tell me what system of copy / piracy protection it uses?

I'll need to install Nebula on two computers. Imagine i need to re-install both computers a couple of times in the next couple of years, will i run out of authorizations?

Could someone please tell me the exact system Nebula uses (serial, iLok, online authorization, other?) and how strict the Acustica people are when you run out of authorizations.

I'd also be interested to know if there's a difference (in authorization method) between normal Nebula and the more expensive server version.

Many thanks! ......... D

We use challenge–response authentication system developed by us. Nebula3 Pro and Nebula3 Server can be used in two computers at same time.

How to register and authorize Nebula
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=362
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby RE301 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:12 am

Dazzer wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it is a HD specific generated serial # (which you send in to get your Auth code) , so if you ever change your HD in the future you need a new Ser & Auth....

The whole authorizing procedure can also take a bit of getting used to (locating the generated ser, uploading to AA and later manually placing the auth file..) ...

Unless this all changes in the future..

Anyway, this kind of inconvenient way of authorizing (depending on how you look at it) is just one of the 'prices of admission' to use this amazing technology, where the (sonic) benefits far outweigh the cons.. IMHO :-)
RE301

Postby giancarlo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:32 am

It will never change any more, only automated and hidden, but it will not change.
We decided several years ago two simple kind of serials for both Windows and Mac, simple to generate. The protection is built on them, and if changes, but it is transparent for the user
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Dazzer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:09 am

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, i think you guys need to take a look at how FabFilter does it, very user friendly.
I think i'll pass for now but will check back now and again to see if things have improved.
Dazzer
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Support » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Dazzer wrote:Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, i think you guys need to take a look at how FabFilter does it, very user friendly.
I think i'll pass for now but will check back now and again to see if things have improved.

Read lasted Giancarlo's post.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby Puranon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:06 pm

It a decent system.

Unlike some other companies Acusticaudio's system does not force you to go find a new ativation every time you reformat. The auth file you saved the first time will always work on future installs.
Puranon
User Level X
User Level X

Postby RE301 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:39 pm

Dazzer wrote:Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, i think you guys need to take a look at how FabFilter does it, very user friendly.

I think it'd be a shame to avoid Nebula simply for this reason.. the protection system & procedures (and some of the other learning curves too) are really a small inconvenience / 'speed bump' as compared to the immense cornucopia of advantages waiting in the Nebula realm...which is to say the sonics ( in the areas where Nebula shines like EQ etc) as compared to plugins which are algo or simple impulse responses...
RE301

Postby giancarlo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:26 pm

I understand all copy protections create issues to customers.
In my opinion we have one of the least intrusive systems around, less intrusive even than most of cracked plug-ins (in general cracks remove bloated code). In our case it is just a file to copy in a folder. A small file.
On mac osx the authorization never changes, so you can move files easily, copy, backup. On windows we are tied to the hdd serial number. In the past windows was continuously trying to change it, but recently they stopped. Starting from windows 10 than number should be completely stable (unless you format your c: harddrive, which is unlikely).

Anyway we are hearing you.
What is missing is an automated way for getting it easily copied to the filesystem, or for reverting easily licenses back, getting new ones in a transparent ways. We are working on it. I suppose the situation is not good enought TODAY, but if you merge the actual situation with the incoming one we are going to implement one of best authorization procedures around. This is my point of view.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Return to Working with Nebula